What do you drink besides whisky?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Bloody Marvellous

What do you drink besides whisky?

Postby Bloody Marvellous » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:33 am

We all know a good single malt when we see one, but how about other drinks?

What is your favorite wine, tequila, cognac, liqueur, vodka, rum, etc.

I have a very nice Ron Zacapa XO rum, a grand liqueur by Grand Marnier (the Cuvee du Centcinquantenaire), and a couple of very nice cognacs (Martell Cordon Bleu and Remy Martin XO).

Just tell us what you stock your bar with :D

Drammed
Gold Member

Re: What do you drink besides whisky?

Postby Drammed » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:14 pm

wine - Burrowing Owl Merlot
tequila - Cabo Wabo
cognac - Remy Martin XO (love the bottle shape too)
liqueur - Kahlua extra dark
vodka - Grey Goose
rum - Casa Bacardi 8 year amber
port - 1/2 case of Fonseca 1994 1/2 case of Taylor Fladgate 20 yr tawney
gin - Bombay Sapphire

of the top of my head. My bar is mostly whisky from various countries.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Hey BloodyMarvellous, there already is a similar topic on this subject. 'Apart from whisky what whisky what do you drink? And your recommendations'. It's on page 2 of the 'active topics'.

blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby blacksabb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Well, I'm not a big beer drinker, but I do like Corona and James Boag beer.

I also love a nice port. I bought one recently for my dad which was a 10yr old one (McWilliams) and it was absolutely delicious. I'm buying a 20yr old one next.

I also like liqueurs. I've shared some Cointreau with dear old dad, which we both loved. We've also both loved Chombord. I'm going to try some
Grand Marnier some time again (it's been a while).

I don't like Vodka. To me, it's like fuel. I don't mind wine but it's not my thing really. Haven't had rum for so long I've forgotten what it tastes like.

sleepypeople

Postby sleepypeople » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 am

Apart from whisky, and as far as spirits go...

If I'm on holiday, or after a big night on the weekend, I'll often tuck into gin and tonic with friends the next day. (Not that I'd ever drink so much as needing a hair of the dog the next day.) Especially good during Sunday lunchtime in the beer garden down at the local, waiting for the fish and chips to be prepared.

If we end up at a friend's place after a big night out, we usually end up getting a bottle of vodka on the way back and mixing it up with something like Fanta. Not very classy, but then again, at 3am, not much is.

A couple of months back, I went through a bit of a phase of buying spiced rum and making Christmas trees.

DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby DanAir » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:34 am

Vodka - Belvedere

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:56 am

After whisky,

2. beer, craft brews/microbrewries
3. rum, preferably dark
4. pisco, a peruvian white brandy
5. anything else, among the oddest:

-spruce liquor - bizarre but tasty!
-Absinthe - very bitter...good with beer!
-a very dark gin (I forget the name) enjoyed in Holland...I wish I could remember the name and get some more...

:empty:

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:28 pm

Bloody Marvellous wrote:What is your favorite wine, tequila, cognac, liqueur, vodka, rum, etc.?

Difficult to pick absolute favourites when one is so tempted by the attraction of choice (as I am). However, in a pinch, these will do...
:wink:

Red table wine wine:
Barca Velha from the upper Douro region of Portugal - a monumental wine of great breeding and practically unbelieveable ageing potential.
Le Grand Vin de Osoyoos Larose from the southern Okanagan region of British Columbia, Canada - one to watch.

White table wine:
Any Joh. Jos. Prüm Kabinett or Spätlese from the Wehlener Sonnenühr vineyard of the Mosel in Germany - renowned with good reason.
Any Von Schubert Kabinett or Spätlese from the Maximin Grünhaus estate of the Ruwer in Germany - the epitome of lightness and depth.
Trimbach's Clos Sainte Hune or Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling from Alsace - true classics.

Fortified wine:
Blandy's 1977 Bual Madeira, bottled in 2006 - simply stunning in its breadth and balance.
Graham's 20 Year Old tawny Port - never fails.

Dessert wine:
Henry of Pelham Riesling Ice Wine from the Niagara region of Ontario, Canada - extremely well crafted.
Hans Lang's Eisweins from the Rheingau region of Germany - the combination of intense sweetness and acidity is tremendously exciting.
Domaine Pinnacle Signature Reserve Speciale Ice Cider (produced, admittedly, from apples and not from grapes) from my home province of Quebec, Canada. Think of the essence of freshly picked apples enhanced with caramel-maple overtones. Think of your next visit to the dentist.

Tequila:
Tequilera La Quemada 4 Copas Reposado. For me, the perfect compromise between fresh liveliness and maturity.

Cognac:
I'm not a fan. But I do enjoy a quality Spanish brandy such as Torres 20 Hors d'Age, which always leaves me satisfied.

Liqueur:
Again, not a tremendous fan. But Chartreuse (green, and not yellow-gold) has been known to be poured as a digestif. Drambuie and B&B as well, from time to time.

Vodka:
Once again, an infrequent imbiber of this spirit. Despite the hype surrounding the product, Grey Goose does fit the bill if need be.

Rum:
One of my preferred summer sippers.
C. Ferrand's 1992 Old Reserve Artisanal Plantation Rum (bottled in 2004) from Venezuela is an outstanding example in the more delicate, complex style.
But El Dorado 15 Year Old is hard to beat, given its lovely sweet richness, on a day-to-day basis.

Beer:
Marston's Pedigree Ale
George Gale Prize Old Ale
Fürstenberg Premium Pilsner

laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:00 am

Recently I have opened my first bottle of rhum: Barbancourt 15 yo 1995.

Luca

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:05 am

Whiskey. :iwbrnt:

...and then more whisky.

Maybe some water in between... :shock:

AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:12 am

Tea, and lots of it, puerh tea, oolong tea mostly Yancha.

Return to “Questions & Answers”