Advice on a whisky flask

All your whisky related questions answered here.
kiwicrusaders

Advice on a whisky flask

Postby kiwicrusaders » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:51 pm

I am wanting to get a good quality smallish whisky flask. Can anyone give me some advice or things to look for (e.g. pewter vs stainless).

At the moment I am looking at this one, http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog ... flask.html

Any one seen or handled these, are they good quality?

Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Re: Advice on a whisky flask

Postby Minnesota Malt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:16 pm

In my mind a flask is pretty much a flask. As long as it does its job, doesn't leak and has a screw on top that is connected it is good in my book. I have always had a stainless steel flask with a cheapish black leather rap around it. I think it was about $20 or so. I've had it for years and we have had some good times together.

I would save your money and buy a reasonable priced stainless steel one since I think they are a lot cheaper than the pewter ones. With the extra cash you would save, put it towards a good SM to fill that new flask with! :D

Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Stay away from pewter flasks, they are very easy to damage if you sit on it or it gets stood on or something.

OMGUI

Postby OMGUI » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:16 pm

My flask is a 200ml bottle of crown royal which I use for near empty
bottles or to carry around with me. I dislike the idea of my whisky
in a metal flask, Its much better in a glass bottle where you can see
the spirit and has no risk of contamination (some metal flasks are not suitable to keep spirits for more than a couple of days).

whiskynig
Bronze Member

Postby whiskynig » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:34 pm

If you go onto our website http://www.sassenachs-dram.co.uk you will find the black country metalworks giving 20% off flasks if you contact via the site,.
I do not know what prices you have been quoted but these seem to be good quality and reasonably priced.
f you end up ordering one, please let us know how it was all handled as this is a new venture for us.

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:09 am

I posted this pic in another thread, but if you get one, you might stay away from pewter.

I got a little tossed, and I decided to put my flask in my back pocket. After sitting on a curb, the flask gave in just a bit. I'm sure you probably don't weigh as much as I do so maybe you would have nothing to worry about.

:lol:

BentFlask.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:44 am

i got a bowmore flask free from a christmas gift set....it is small....does the jog..and feels heavy....

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 pm

I have several flasks that I use, but my favorite is a stainless steel leather-covered one. That way, I can carry it in my briefcase without it clanking as much against other items in the case, and it's a little less obvious. I also have several small one-ounce flasks that I carry with me to festivals to pour off a small sample if I need it for later nosing...

Mark

Return to “Questions & Answers”