Dream Investment Buys?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Re: Dream Investment Buys?

Postby whiskynig » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Dont know why he didnt just go for the distillery bottlings from (for example) Glen Keith, Littlemill, Imperial, Rosebank etc, maybe the old Ardbeg 17, Port Ellen, Glen Mhor, St. Magdalene, Dallas Dhu...
It is of course endless, and much cheaper than he wanted to pay, leaving enough to buy a barrel of something else, ready to bottle and share the proceeds in 10 years or whatever.
Mind you, I am having enough trouble funding my own suggestions at the moment, if I had £2000 for each of my kids they definitely wouldn`t see it!

psr-740

Postby psr-740 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:02 pm

Bulkington wrote:"Ones that spring to mind that are great whiskies are Lagavulin 21yo (Circa £130-150) or Laphroaig 30yo (£200-250) and probably well worth a punt. These are finished as expressions and will only gain higher status as the years go by."

I think it's interesting enough to speculate on how much the Lag 21 and Laph 30 will be worth even just by this time next year. In 20 to 30 years they'll be treasures.

so I did well...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

psr-740

Postby psr-740 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Collector57 wrote:
psr-740 wrote:so I did well...
I think we can safely say "Yes sir!"

I was sorry to read about your job loss. my heart is with you. I wish that you will find a new and better job quickly .

plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby plainly jane » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:16 am

Buy what you are willing to drink in the future. I know everyone says it, but if it ends up not being a good investment, then at least you can drink it.

I find the fun in collecting is in doing the research, listening to skuttlebutt(?), and tasting the whisky. I purchased several bottles of Bruichladdich PC5. I heard that it was going fast. I liked the taste. I bought each bottle for $105.00 CAD. I sold a few bottles at $250.00 CAD, a better return than stocks are doing right now. Adding $145.00 to the coffers is not much in the long run. I add it to my photography fund. The fun is in predicting and then getting a return. The same applies to Bruichladdich Blacker Still.

I purchased Macallan 50 y in Lalique crystal, 3 bottles. Some are asking over $30,000 for it. I paid $6000 CAD. Whether or not I can find a buyer is another question. Buying very expensive whisky can pay off. Again, I had a sample at a tasting event and it was amazing. I have it. If it does not sell, then I will be happy, as will be a few of my single malt buddies (it important to share the good fortune).

My usual favourites for collecting are Macallan, Ardbeg, Springbank, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, and special series in these or other brands. Original bottles seem to be the most popular.

One other aspect is the aesthetic appeal. I enjoy looking at the bottles and the colour of the whisky. I pass by my selection several times a day. It is simply fun.

pj

investmp

Postby investmp » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Thank you for this Forums. Found it very informative and will definitely recommend it.

plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby plainly jane » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:03 pm

Over the past few years, I have sold some investment bottles. Recently, I was lucky enough to have sold the last of my 3 bottles of Macallan 50 y in Lalique in the Pillar Series. If I never sell another bottle, the investments, for me, have been well worth it.

pj

Return to “Collector's Corner”