Van Winkle Family Reserve bottled in 1984 (full bottle)

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
rattler31

Van Winkle Family Reserve bottled in 1984 (full bottle)

Postby rattler31 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:27 pm

I feel like I should start with telling y'all how I came across this bottle... Two years ago my girlfriend at the time, now ex, decided to surprise me with a present. I have absolutely no idea what caused her to go on craigslist and search "Pappy Van Winkle" but she managed to come across some people who were cleaning out their grandfathers house after he passed, and they stumbled upon his whiskey collection. I know this sounds made up, but I'm not kidding. She managed to score a bottle of Van Winkle that was distilled in '68 and bottled in '84 for a very low price. I was 19 at the time and decided to wait until I was 21 to do anything with it, and the time has come.
Let's be honest, I'm a kid and I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to whiskey. I really want to drink it, but I'd rather pass it on to someone who will know what the hell they're doing and will actually be able to enjoy it. With that being said, I would really like to sell it and find the bottle a good home. However, I'm smart enough to know people will fake anything that costs a lot of money; I just want to be able to find a way to authenticate the bottle before I feel confident in selling it to anyone. I would also really appreciate any opinions about what auction houses are the best for this type of thing. I have absolutely no intention of screwing anyone over, and if I find out the bottle is fake, then I'll just drink it and cry while I think about all the money I didn't make.
I am new to this forum and originally posted this in the Whisky Chat section, but I now realize that was not the best place for me to start this thread. I'm in college and the bottle is back with my parents, but I do have a picture of it that will maybe help me make some progress. I had to crop down the original picture because it was larger than 1mb, but I've got a screenshot of the label for y'all to take a look at.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rattler31

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve bottled in 1984 (full bottle)

Postby rattler31 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:31 pm

I've uploaded some pictures to imgur that are larger than what is allowed on this forum. There is damage to the seal of the bottle, however feel free to take a look at the pictures; I'm confident in saying that there is no way the bottle could have been opened even though the seal is damaged. http://imgur.com/a/GVCLa

richard
Silver Member

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve bottled in 1984 (full bottle)

Postby richard » Tue May 24, 2016 9:17 am

try straight bourbon whisky site usa
me personally I don't like the seal as will many others I hope I am wrong

richard

Return to “Collector's Corner”