Ardbeg Provenance...

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
DarkJester

Ardbeg Provenance...

Postby DarkJester » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:09 pm

I understand that I have not been here to contribute in some time, but I will start this thread nonetheless knowing there may be some skepticism...

About 5 years ago, I found a case of Ardbeg Provenance at a small family-owned liquor store. Since then, I have sold four bottles and have two left. The last price I saw for a bottle was $1,836.00 US.

My questions are:
1) What is today's fair market value? They are in immaculate condition...
2) Where can I sell them? I understand I cannot sell them here...

DarkJester

Re: Ardbeg Provenance...

Postby DarkJester » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:20 pm

Not one comment or advice???

W J Holroyd

Postby W J Holroyd » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:05 am

Ardbeg 1974 Provenance 70cl-55.6%=£2,250! Whisky Auctions.com/Whisky Auctions at Bonhams.

o2o

Postby o2o » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:38 am

Which bottles specifically?

Either way I would hope for something in the range of £950-£1200

The quote given above, £2250 is a bit high I think....Bonhams especially are unreliable as their prices include (high) commission and are notorious because of this. Furthermore Bonhams have pulled out of the U.S Whisky Auction market.

I would also say I use the online auctions a lot and the highest I found was around the £1700 around a year ago. I think this is an exception, I can see the same bottle sell 4 months later on the same site for over £400 less, both great conditions etc etc. Weird but happens frequently on whiskyauction.eu...

The UK based auction sites are more reliable I think, all of them have similar values hovering around the £1000-1200 mark. Some higher, some lower based on monthly demand I guess. I have my favourite sites and can explain those if you like...I use pretty much all of them.

Always remember to subtract commission and fees from your valuations. Not to mention shipping from the U.S if using an online site.

Of course, it depends on your specific bottle etc. Good luck if you do sell

Return to “Collector's Corner”