Speyside? But which

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
matteo

Speyside? But which

Postby matteo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi all,
we have found in a dark forgotten place of our closet this bottle of Pure Malt Speyside 12yo, produced by Speyside Distillery & Bonding Co. Ltd Glasgow and Invernesshire. We suppose that the bottle was bought about 20 years ago.

Does any one know which distillery is? Which is the value of this bottles, if it's got a value?
P1020428.JPG
P1020429.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matteo

Re: Speyside? But which

Postby matteo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 am

Looking for info about this whisky/distillery I've found this:
http://www.speysidedistillery.co.uk/tasting.php?cat=speyside&bottleID=71

It seems the same product with new styling and the name changed to respect new laws.

And this link http://www.scotchwhisky.net/profile/speyside.htm is the change log of the name of the distillery.

I suppose that the bottle was purchased in US because of the 75 cl instead of 70cl

matteo

Postby matteo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Speyside Distillery & Bonding Co. Ltd Glasgow and Invernesshire, as I found in some Internet site, is the name used from 1955 to 1985

Pure malt whisky, as fine malt whisky and so on are all "terms" used to identify single malt whisky in late 60's to 80's if I'm not wrong, am I?

These are some details that I crawled in Internet:

SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY COMPANY LIMITED:
Registered no: SC031095
Registered office: Duchess Road
Rutherglen
Glasgow
G73 1AU
Incorporated: 18 Oct 1955
Previous names:
11/02/2002 THE SPEYSIDE DISTILLERS LIMITED/SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY COMPANY LIMITED
08/03/2001 SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY COMPANY LIMITED/THE SPEYSIDE DISTILLERS LIMITED
04/09/1985 SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY AND BONDING COMPANY LIMITED/SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY COMPANY LIMITED

John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:44 pm

I think this bottle either comes from the Speyside Distillery or has associations with its founder George Christie

The Speyside Distillery & Bonding Company Limited was founded in 1955 by the Christie family who were involved in other whisky ventures. In 1956 George Christie obtained a plot of land at Drumguish near Kingussie. In 1962 he commissioned the building of the distillery and in December 1990 the distillery become operational. Three years later George brought out a limited edition single malt as a ‘thank you’ to those involved in the building of Speyside.

However, and here comes an important piece in the jigsaw, during the period prior to the distillery becoming operational, George sold blends and vatted malts, some going under the name Speyside. I believe they didn’t bring out a single malt under the distillery’s name until 1999 and that was an 8yo, prior to that I thank it went under the title ‘Drumguish’

Another clue with your bottle’s link with the Speyside Distillery is the crest, which can be seen on their casks http://www.scotchwhisky.net/images/dist/drum_cask.jpg and found on the distillery gates.

I would say this is a vatted malt, bottled during the period prior to the distillery opening. The term ‘Pure Malt’ was used for both single and vatted malts at one time but as a rule if the words appear on a bottle of scotch then it is usually a vatted malt.

Cheers John

matteo

Postby matteo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks John great search :thumbsup:

I sent an email to the actual Speyside Distillery asking them some info...now I'm waiting.

matteo

Postby matteo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Great job maltmate :D
I'm looking all around the Internet but nothing...I will post any news if I find

Return to “Collector's Corner”