Very Very Old Fitzgerald, Bottled in 1965

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
otezucar

Very Very Old Fitzgerald, Bottled in 1965

Postby otezucar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:38 pm

I have this unopened 100 proof Very Very Old Fitzgerald, barreled in 1952 and bottled in 1965.
Is it still good to drink or is it now more a collectors item?

oldrip57
Bronze Member

Re: Very Very Old Fitzgerald, Bottled in 1965

Postby oldrip57 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:21 am

For the umpteenth time now: bottled whiskey doesn't go 'bad' -- it is ALWAYS good to drink.
This particular bottle, if you can manage to arrange a sale somewhere near its 'retail' value, will bring upwards of $300 U.S.
Frankly, though, if you're any kind of whisk(e)y aficianado, it's worth more than that to taste it!
Ebay, however, exists for the money-grubbers.

DukeofSandwich

Postby DukeofSandwich » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 am

I would actually disagree with the ALWAYS assertion. I've had plenty of soapy mini's that would seem to indicate there is a reaction going on in the bottle. You can search for my earlier saponification post (shameless plug). And I've had a soapy Very Old Fitzgerald! In particular, old bourbon is risky because it was relatively inexpensive and people didn't care for it. That bottle might have sat in a hot barn for 40 years.

And clearly this guy is not a whisky aficionado, and just because he wants to sell something he doesn't want (like everybody else on Ebay), doesn't make him a money-grubber. I'm glad that people sell whiskey on Ebay, otherwise I wouldn't have the opportunity to buy it!

UPDATED: And now I just found a post by you on the very same day stating that it can go bad! What's up with that?

oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby oldrip57 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:09 am

DukeofSandwich wrote:I would actually disagree with the ALWAYS assertion. I've had plenty of soapy mini's that would seem to indicate there is a reaction going on in the bottle. You can search for my earlier saponification post (shameless plug). And I've had a soapy Very Old Fitzgerald! In particular, old bourbon is risky because it was relatively inexpensive and people didn't care for it. That bottle might have sat in a hot barn for 40 years.

And clearly this guy is not a whisky aficionado, and just because he wants to sell something he doesn't want (like everybody else on Ebay), doesn't make him a money-grubber. I'm glad that people sell whiskey on Ebay, otherwise I wouldn't have the opportunity to buy it!

UPDATED: And now I just found a post by you on the very same day stating that it can go bad! What's up with that?

Basically, it means I can have bad moods like most humans.

Return to “Collector's Corner”