Christmas Haul

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
jruddy

Christmas Haul

Postby jruddy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Gifts Received from well wishers with some notes:
Laphroig QC (My wife found my to-buy list - thank God!)
A stronger Islay, quite peaty, I still prefer Ardbeg but this nice when I want something a bit more flavourful.

Glenrothes 1994 (My sister's intuition)
A lovely dram, honey comes through. I was disapponted with the '94 at Whisky Live but I had just tried the 85 which is exquisite. On it's own the '94 is wonderful.

Glenrothes Non-Vintage (Joe, my brother in law) - Un-Opened
Grant - The Gordon Highlanders (Joe, my brother in law) - Un-Opened

Also tasted from the JW collection (4x20cl) I gave my sis...
JW Red - A lot of Spice (Too much spice!)
JW Black - Seemed bland after the Red. Perhaps more subtle but not to my liking. Pales next to the Gold/Blue.
JW Gold - Better than the last time I tried when it paled next to a MacAllan 18. I might need to spend more time with this expression, there is definitely a bottle in my future.
JW Blue - Wow. If this was $100 cheaper I'd stock up with it. What a great balance of whisky flavours, I will never turn down the chance to drink someone elses JW Blue but won't be breaking the bank to buy my own bottle(s). I just can't get over the balance in this one - the blenders have earned their keep, that is for certain!

James

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Christmas Haul

Postby Aidan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:30 pm

I also got a box with the JWs in it. Mine had the Black, Blue, Green and Gold. I thought they were all excellent. The Gold was the best for me. The Green really grew on me. All quite rich, which is what I like. I've always liked the Black, but it did seem a bit thin when consumed beside the others. Blue was also very nice, but too expensive for a full bottle.

IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Only one bottle this christmas - a 15yo Bowmore from 2 of my sisters. My wife refused to buy me a bottle on principle (what principle I'm not sure exactly but there you go.)

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:15 pm

My wife won't buy me whiskey either. I suppose she's right, when you look at how many bottles I already have.

blawder

Postby blawder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:41 am

My sister gave me a bottle of Highland Park 18. I've never had any Highland Park whiskies before and am looking foward to sampling this one.

I also got two bottles of Glenfiddich 15 Solara Reserve; a personal favorite of mine.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:45 am

I got no whisky for Christmas :(

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:48 am

blawder wrote:My sister gave me a bottle of Highland Park 18. I've never had any Highland Park whiskies before and am looking foward to sampling this one.

I also got two bottles of Glenfiddich 15 Solara Reserve; a personal favorite of mine.

The Solara Reserve is very good.

IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:53 am

Aidan wrote:My wife won't buy me whiskey either. I suppose she's right, when you look at how many bottles I already have.

Maybe but when I went to the trouble of downloading the celtic whiskey shop christmas brochure and highlighting a suitable selection of whiskies so she could surprise me you'd think she'd go the extra mile.

Of course all the presents she did get me were wonderful. (She might be monitoring this!)

Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:29 am

I buy my own Xmas presents, specially when it comes to whisky. What I "got" this year were 2 Port Ellens, a 25yo '81 Signatory Vintage Cask Strength and 25yo '81 Bladnoch bottling. A post-Chrismas gift should be here by the 1st of next week, a Brora 25yo '81 Signatory Vintage Cask Strength from LFW!

Cheers!

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:45 pm

I was angling for Gift Certificates - but Whiskey is good too! ;)

Glenrothes Non-Vintage (Joe, my brother in law)
Actually this one is pretty good, a decent sibling to the 1994 - similar but not quite there...

Grant - The Gordon Highlanders (Joe, my brother in law)
Tasting... hmm.. well.. it's the thought that counts!
For a standard blend I'd choose Teacher's over this hands down.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”