Need advice

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
rosenet

Need advice

Postby rosenet » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:58 am

Hi there, I am fairly new to the world of good whiskies and in my search for my personal single malt nirvana I have (thank you corporate expense account) had the opportunity to try and fall in love with Macallen 18. Sadly I'm not quite to the point where I can justify the expense of keeping myself in M18 so I'm looking for less expensive alternatives. Obviously M12 is a prime candidate, but I don't want to miss anything less obvious. Here's more about my taste in single malt:

Speyburn 10: decent
Highland Park 12: very tasty, a tad too smoky
Talisker: too smoky
The Glenlivet: boring
Oban 10: good, but a bit salty
Laphraoig 10: surprisingly I like this a lot

So I'm thinking I like my scotch on the smooth, sweet side. Its also been suggested that I like speyside, though thats perhaps too broad a category to be really useful.

Any suggestions for what else I should be trying? I wouldn't be against trying a blend like Johnny Walker.

-Rosenet

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Re: Need advice

Postby randall fairbrook » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:21 am

have you tried the glenlivet nadurra yet?....the first taste is wow wow wow where did all of these notes come from?.....decent alcohol burn though..just savor your first taste for a while before you take another sip.....

i was very pleased with this one...

peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:06 am

How about Macallan Cask Strength or Aberlour A'bunadh?

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Check out Glenfarclas, and as mentionded above Bruichladdich. And most importantly since you are fairly new to Single Malts, I strongly suggest going back and trying some that you didn't originally like (give it some time though, don't do it immediately). You may very well have a different opinion the 2nd time around. Enjoy!

martin grant
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:17 pm

Hi Rosenet, and welcome to the forum.
Great to hear that you are new to the wonderful world of malt whisky.
If the whiskies you have enjoyed in the past are of either the peaty (the Laphroig 10yo) or the sweet (the Speyburn etc.), I would suggest you try Ardbeg Uigeadail.

This is a really big whisky, bottled at full cask strength (in this case 54.2%). It's a really peaty whisky which has been aged in a mix of bourbon barrels and sherry butts. The sherry influence lends some real sweet notes to it. Peaty and sweet - should be perfect for you.

I like to try this whisky with some really good quality dark chocolate. Pop some chocolate in your mouth, and let it melt. As it does take a sip of Uigeadail. You can pick up a bottle for around £40.

Cheers

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi Rosenet, welcome!

You did not mention where you live, so prices depend a bit on your location. If you like Laphroaig and a sweet dram, Lagavulin would be an excellent choice. Especially the DE (but probably out of your price range) is great, I am having a dram right now! :thumbsup:

My experience (and thus my advice) is limited, but be sure to check out the posts above..

lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:14 pm

Until recently i would have said that a 15yr Glenfarclas was the best sherried whisky but i think the 16yr Mortlach beats it.
Which Glenlivet do you find boring? Have you tried the French Oak Reserve or the 18yr? A very good value speyside alternative is the 12yr Cragganmore. Another 2 inexpensive Highland alternatives are Balblair and Royal Lochnagar ( if you like oranges )
I can understand you not liking a 10yr Talisker but have you tried the 18yr.It is roughly half the price of a Macallan 18.
Finally are you on about the Laphroaig 10yr that you like or a different age? I only ask because i know how many people rate the 10yr but am i really the only person who thinks it is garbage? I can appreciate Lagavulin and Caol Ila but not that one.
Good luck on your whisky journey.

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:23 am

If you like sweet and smooth whiskies try Balvenie 12yo Double Wood, or Aberlour 16. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:00 pm

You could try Isle of Jura 10 or Superstition or even something sweet like a Longmorn 15/16... and not break the bank.

Balvenie DW is also nice, and though a little salty, Ardbeg 10 is great.

If you're up for something different, give Redbreast 12 (Pure Pot Still Irish) a try. As far as reasonably priced Irish goes, I am a new convert to Bushmills Blackbush.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”