My evening will comprise .....

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Deactivated Member

My evening will comprise .....

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:31 pm

As I am only looking forward to a dram and not yet enjoying it, nor am I looking back to what I enjoyed last night, this topic didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Therefore here is a new idea ..... What I WILL be drinking later!

As a "thank-you" to someone who helped me during two very busy weekends at The Arc, I have invited them around this evening for a private tasting at home in my whisky den.

As I look at my shelf of drinkables (as opposed to collectibles) I see that we will be sampling:

Bruichladdich Waves (7yr)
Compass Box Eleuthera
Compass Box Oak Cross
M. McD. Isle of Jura
Glenfarclas 1987 Quarter Casks
Bowmore Legend
Milford 10
Glendronach 12y

Plus maybe a little extra surprise.

I look forward to a little later this evening, what will YOU be drinking?
MT

K-Mile
Gold Member

Re: My evening will comprise .....

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:17 pm

I just set up a mini tasting with my brother. We've picked the following bottles:

- Bowmore 16yo 1989 vintage
- Lagavulin 16yo DE 1990 vintage
- Highland Park 18yo

kildalton
Silver Member

Postby kildalton » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:52 pm

Nice topic! :D

Uhm...I've opened Macallan 1978 Silver Seal, Dufftown "the cars" moon imp, macallan 1990 Muraray MD and an old bottle of king ransom(truly drinkable) so I'll have some of them or...al??! :mrgreen:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:24 am

Just to report back as the evening draws to a close, we sampled most of the listed drams and very enjoyable they were too!

As I mentioned, this was very much a "thank you" to someone who helped at The Arc during two extremely busy weekends when my regular staff were not available. But, there was an ulterior motive to my madness; some of these drams are possible inclusions for my next tasting as I look to fit certain flavours into my planned theme.

Almost certainly the Glenfarclas, Oak Cross, Milford & Glendronach will be included. I now need to find two more.
As for the theme, I don't yet have the exact title, but it will be based upon times of the year or even specific dates with the idea that certain whiskies are perfect accompaniments to specific dates, or remind me of certain dates or times of the year.

So far, I have:
Glenfarclas 1987 QC - Christmas
Milford 10 - Bonfire night
Oak Cross - An Alpine meadow in Spring-time
Glendronach 12y - Harvest Festival

I'm now looking for something specifically Summer or Winter.
Enjoy your own drams,
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:I read the first post and no offense but how is this forum topic different than "what are you drinking now" seperated by a few minutes/hours?

technically, I can post the same thing at different times in the "my evening will comprise...," "what are you drinking now" and "what did you have last night."

cut and paste to boost my post count! :idea:

Then feel free to leave this topic as a one-off from myself about this evening and ignore it any further.
Thanks for looking anyway,
MT

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:12 am

M-T:
I actually kind of like this fresh perspective. It can extend to an evening coming up as well as the immediate evening. With that in mind, I am hosting a tasting in my home, with our regular group, this Friday coming.

I had reported elsewhere that it would be comprised of 7 mystery malts, well now it will be 10 mystery malts and two more tasters have been added to the list today.

I've prepared 18 page "bound" handouts for each attendee, which includes maps, blank tasting notes, information on the various regions and whisky minutae and a copy of my irreverent "Making of Whisky" cartoon.

My evening on November 2 will comprise of... 10 mystery malts, 7 whisky enthusiast friends, a light luncheon, an exchange of whisky knowledge and enjoyment ending with a pre-arranged ride home for everyone attending.

Muskrat

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:24 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:M-T:
I actually kind of like this fresh perspective. It can extend to an evening coming up as well as the immediate evening. With that in mind, I am hosting a tasting in my home, with our regular group, this Friday coming.

I had reported elsewhere that it would be comprised of 7 mystery malts, well now it will be 10 mystery malts and two more tasters have been added to the list today.

I've prepared 18 page "bound" handouts for each attendee, which includes maps, blank tasting notes, information on the various regions and whisky minutae and a copy of my irreverent "Making of Whisky" cartoon.

My evening on November 2 will comprise of... 10 mystery malts, 7 whisky enthusiast friends, a light luncheon, an exchange of whisky knowledge and enjoyment ending with a pre-arranged ride home for everyone attending.

Muskrat

Will that ride home cover airline tickets to Amsterdam? If so, count me in :D Sounds great Musky.

And I think there's nothing wrong with a before, during, and after topic. Everyone can post wherever they like or feel it fits best. I know that I like to think about upcoming evenings, and this can be a nice place to exchange thoughts on what to sample...

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:34 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:M-T:
..........I am hosting a tasting in my home, with our regular group, this Friday coming.

...... 7 mystery malts, well now it will be 10 mystery malts and two more tasters have been added to the list today.

Muskrat

That's all I need too!
Sending address for airline tickets and welcome package as I type!

But seriously, this sounds great and I hope you all enjoy your evening.
(Insert jealous giffy smiley thingy here)
:mrgreen:
(forget that, I found one!)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:27 am

I have just re-read the complete thread and I am pleased to see that after my drams, my keyboard hadn't lost all control of my fingers last night!

:lol:

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:18 pm

Malty and K-Mile:
Should I win big in the lottery before Friday, I'd certainly comply with a round trip on Muskrat Air.
For that matter, maybe I'd emigrate with my collection!

I'm quite looking forward to this Friday, already I've been asked if someone could bring an 18 yo Macallan as well to add to the tasting!
Muskrat

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:48 pm

*Clearing diary for Friday as I type*

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:17 pm

No luck on the lottery, I guess... Enjoy your evening tomorrow Musky!

To get back on topic:

My evening will comprise of taking photo's of my latest deliveries, assisted by a bottle of Ardbeg 10 that helped me get through dinner already. Nice Ardbeg :)

Will post updates as I go along.. It's been my first night off (well, I got home from work at 9pm...) in a while... To bad I have to get up tomorrow morning :(

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:10 am

1/2 hour before my guests start to arrive. There's a large box full of whisky sitting in my dining room and I haven't peeked as yet... it's a blind tasting after all.

Glassware is all set up, evening repast is ready and the lair has been tidied to within an inch of it's life. Even hooked up the cabinet lighting and re-arranged the open bottle display for optimum impact and access.

Now I have to wait...
Muskrat

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:56 am

Started with a welcoming dram of 18 yo Highland Park and a Midddleton 2006 Btl#302343. The blind tasting was comprised of the following...
First flight:
Bladnoch 14 yo 1982 Signatory
Macallan 18 yo
Springbank 10 yo
Jura 40 % abv
Ledaig 15 yo
second flight:
Edradour Madeira cask 58.4%
Aberlour A'Bunadh batch 18 59.6% (I got to keep this one)
Royal Lochnagar RM 30 yo 56.2%
Arran Amorosa cask CS
Bowmore 16 yo 58%
Talisker 20 yo CS 58.8%

We finished off with a Laggy 16 yo and a final dram of the last of my Port Ellen #1.

A wonderful evening, I'll post better notes in the morning.
G'Night!
Muskrat

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:15 am

:thumbsup: "Perfec" :thumbsup:
Must have been a nice evening Peter!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:20 am

Sounds excellent - how was that Arran Amorosa?
MT

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:36 pm

My evening will comprise of driving into Kensington. Having a pre show meal. Tonight's main attraction is Harry Connick Junior at the Royal Albert Hall. 8) Oh yes. Then depending on how laid back I am I'll choose something when we get home. It might be a Bruichladdich 1970.

:)

rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:17 pm

If all goes as planned my better half will arrive on time (a necessity for tonight's schedule) at the airport where I'll meet her to rush off to dinner. We'll then just make it in time to attend a Craig Ferguson stand-up performance. Upon returning home I hope to have the dram of Nadurra that I didn't get to last night, followed by an Aberlour 14yo first-fill bourbon cask.

Ron

ehl

Postby ehl » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Well, I've been learning and tasting for a couple weeks now. Was looking for the Lagavulin 16yr today but couldn't find it. Got the Lagavulin Distillers Edition (1990/2006) instead. Can't wait to try.

So, tonight it will be...

Cragganmore 12 (Love it) followed up by the Lagavulin DE. Maybe Ardbeg TEN (really love it) as well... we'll see how it goes.

I never knew whisky could be so good. I keep the boubon on hand for cigar nights!

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:21 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Sounds excellent - how was that Arran Amorosa?
MT
Malty:
This was the best Arran product I've ever tasted. ...And before that is misinterpreted as a "slam" I felt it was one of the more enjoyable drams we tasted in the second flight. I've sampled both the original Arran and the "Robbie Burns" when they first came out, neither of which I was very impressed with.

This Amarone Cask offering is an example of what a new distillery can do once it gets up to speed and starts to produce a fine product. In future I will once again be looking for Arran products, not for the novelty, but for the enjoyment.

My biggest disappointment was the Edradour Madeira Cask 58.4% abv. I don't know what has happened to what was once my favorite distillery but the soap notes are still there, albeit a bit more subtle than in the 10 yo. This was the worst dram of the evening and a disappontment to all of us. Grossly overpriced at $144.95 for 500 ml, for what you get. Using the Frodo pricing ratio I would sadly have to profer a negative interger.

Christian: It was an excellent evening, although it's taken until now, and two cups of coffee, to start to feel human again. I think that I react adversely to sherry finishing as the drams were very small (1 tbsp ea) and I didn't go goofy with the welcoming drams or the afters. The worst part is I felt pleasant after all was finished, not "tanked" ...yet in the morning woke up with a splitting headache that Advil wouldn't touch!

The bright side, I now own a Springbank 10 again!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(A very very happy)Muskrat

...and an Aberlour A'Bunadh batch 18!!!!!!
(The sneaky bugger was hiding it on us so we couldn't get one before the tasting. The orders for bottles rolled in after we tasted that one! I'd say we all wanted a bottle for our dramming enjoyment.)
:P
M.P.

Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Danny » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:36 am

Peter, sounds like an excellent evening of dramming. I am a bit jealous, to say the least.

Sorry to hear you have a slight throbbing in the old head, nothing a good stiff Ardbeg couldn't fix up.

Looking forward to seeing your tasting notes.

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:41 am

Good job on a nice tasting, Peter!

I will get in touch with you sometimes, because your report so far sounds like great way to organise tastings, something I really look forward to doing sometimes (when I finally get my new house furnished and everything finished)...

Good luck with your head!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:46 am

Thanks Musky for the Arran report.
I have found the few Arrans I have tasted to vary immensely in quality, hence my question.

If I see one of these I will certainly buy it!

Congrat's on what sounds to have been a great evening.
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:39 pm

After a late Saturday evening (I arrived home at 05:30 Sunday morning!) I have another free Sunday which will be spent at home with Sabine.
As she prefers Islay flavours, I will be looking to see what we can enjoy together .......

Now, shall it be Ardbeg, Bowmore or Caol Ila :?:

Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Danny » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:04 am

My evening will comprise of dishes, floors and other misc. housework :headbang:

Just Kidding :wink: , will have a nice dram or two of Highland Park 12 tonight. :)

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:33 am

Have been J W Black for the last few days.. think I will down a few drams of Talisker tonight.

The mercury refuses to drop here and I am therefore unable to pull out my Islays

Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:57 pm

After two weeks on midnights that included a transformer/turbine explosion and fire at the power plant I work at I'm ready for something by the way of cask strength, probably either a Glen Elgin 13yo Sig or or the Port Ellen 18yo Scott's Selection.
Mmmm, most likely both!

Cheers!

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:13 am

Sleep :sleep:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Of course, purely in terms of research for my forthcoming tastings, my evening today will comprise a little Glendronach, a wee dram of Hazelburn and a generous helping of Old Pulteney 12.

A happy MT
:D

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:42 pm

"...And some Laphroaig for after the feast; it's a digestive. :wink:"

Quite. any excuse...

I just wouldn't wait 'til after!

Happy thanksgiving!

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:42 am

Its finally winter here so the Islays it will be.. my bottle of PC5 will be killed followed by Ardbeg Almost There

TBoner

Postby TBoner » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Well, if I wind up replacing my hot water heater today (likely), my evening will include one bourbon...one Scotch...one beer, though not in that order:

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine 2007

Wild Turkey 12yo

Talisker 10yo

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:19 pm

I have accidentally got 16 whiskies open, and my maximum is supposed to be 15. I have to finish two bottles if I am going to open anything special for Christmas. The three nearest the end are Aberlour 10, Provenance Braes of Glenlivet, Caperdonich Cask Strength OB and Tamnavulin 10. Trouble is, they are all rather similar. But my evening will consist of one or more of these.

clicker7
Silver Member

Postby clicker7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:07 am

Sipping a few drams of Talisker Distillers Edition, and viewing a good movie "Shoot Em UP" (Clive Owen).

Joseph

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:48 pm

As I reach a massive personal milestone of over 100 whiskies in my pub, I feel I need to celebrate the fact with a dram when I get home.

My celebratory dram will be one fo the following:
Ardbeg Kildalton (one of 5cl minis from a peat pack)
Ardbeg 17y (also 5cl mini)
Greenore 8y Irish single grain (I was blown away by this last Sunday at my engagement party and would like to re-visit it)
Mortlach F&F (a full bodied, rich dram with all the right dark fruits)

Or possibly a sample from one of the new drams going in to the pub.

Feel free to help me choose and I may even listen and go with one of your suggestions.
MT

Return to “Whisky Tastings”