Should I be banned from Whisky Mag Forums?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Should I be banned from Whisky Mag Forums?

Postby Les Paul » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:43 am

I went to my favorite Lebanese Restaurant tonight. While I was waiting for my food, I ordered a drink at the bar. A Glenmorangie 10.

On the rocks. :oops: Soaked with ice. On purpose.

And.....it was delicious. What have I done?

Discuss.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:52 am

Les:
OMG it may be too late to save this prodigal son of whisky.

The only redeeming factor is that it was a common as dirt Glenmorangie in a Lebanese restaurant so it had probably oxidised to a great extent and only the addition of ice made it palatable.
:P
Les, come back to the dark side, it's not too late to mend your wayward ways!
Muskrat

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:06 am

drink what you want, when you want, how you want and others be damned.... :angel: :thumbsup:
I like neat but that's me.... if in the future I toss in some ice on a malt and enjoy it, I don't care what others may think.... :D

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:12 am

Ah, Les, you have it all wrong. When you blaspheme like this, you must always act as if you know exactly what you're doing, as if you know something everyone else doesn't.

"I had a Glenmo on the rocks yesterday. It was perfect. You don't know what you're missing until you've tried it."

When you get the inevitable incredulous response, you make some sneering comment about snobbery, while being absolutely as reverse-snobbish as you can.

And yes, you should be banned.

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:32 am

What a strange name you have. :| You cannot be banned.

Mr Fjeld

Re: Should I be banned from Whisky Mag Forums?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:15 am

Les Paul wrote:I went to my favorite Lebanese Restaurant tonight. While I was waiting for my food, I ordered a drink at the bar. A Glenmorangie 10.

You're mad :shock:
Dining out when the whole country is on the brink of civil war is one thing - but putting ice in your Glenmorangie........ is just insane!
:insane:

Seriously, I think ice in the whisky is perfectly alright if you fancy it. There are several examples on this forum where people enjoy their single malt with ice; Les uses an icecube in his A'bunadh and Lawrence is known to use both ice and a drop of Rose's lime juice in his Laphroaig.
Single Malt may be the Holy Grail - but there's more than one way to worship. So if you like it with ice then why not?

By the way, what did you order? Haven't tried lebanese food myself - maybe I should?

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:43 am

LES PAUL - WOULD YOU BE THE '59 SUNBURST OR THE 3 PICK-UP BLACKTOP CUSTOM? EITHER WAY, I OWN A BEATEN UP LES PAUL THAT ONCE belonged, so rumour has it, to Keef Richard. i have a soft spot for Les Pauls as I do for people who openly confess their sins(That's the blues!)...so stick around!

...and let me tell you this. three years ago my dear woman took me on a whisky tasting weekend courtesy of Macallan. After a great time feasting on the best food and whiskies, we had a 5 course dinner with a whisky with each course...ending with the 30 YO Macallan.

But what was served with the "appetiser?" Yep! Glenmorangie on the rocks!

So let us burn down the Macallan distillery! Infidels! A fatwa on their chief taster!

Only joking...don't want to be arrested for inciting terrorism - we can't be too careful in this PC world, can we Les?

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:48 am

Mr Fjeld, yes, you should try Lebanese food, it's great, but here in Bergen, ha, where to find good Lebanese food?? Someone's house probably best?
I too am waiting to hear your punchline Les Paul. Either way, as the pros and distilleries say themselves, drink it how you want it, as long is it's our whisky you're drinking!

Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:08 am

Di Blasi wrote:....as long is it's our whisky you're drinking!

That was what the ambassador of Laphroaig said to me (though not "our but "it's") after he saw me walk away from a Laphroaig tasting with 2 Ardbeg Uigeadails (2004). In fairness, the bottles had been preordered at the whisky shop and I already had a 4 bottles of the Laphroaig 10yo CS, 2 Quarter Casks, and a 30yo.

Les Paul, drink the whisky as you please as long as there are not others around who know your proclivity for SMSW. You don't want to give anyone the wrong idea about the best way to enjoy single malt scotch. :wink: Glenmorangie 10 is OK, but if you had done that with a Ardbeg Uigeadail we would have had to organize a posse and hunt you down. :)
Last edited by Ardbeg311 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:15 am

Breaks my heart to see a good un turn bad

Drink as you like. We all have a fair idea of what whisky should taste like, so going dirty now and again is actually quite good for the soul :thumbsup:

Exactly what do you have in mind Crieftan???
Mrc C

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:00 pm

Crieftan wrote:

Mrc C

Come on Crieefy confess.Image

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:22 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Only joking...don't want to be arrested for inciting terrorism - we can't be too careful in this PC world, can we Les?

Must be some here on Macs.

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Drink what you want want, i've had to stop drinking beer becuase my girlfriend and mum have ganged up and siad i need to loose a beer belly, so i was sat in the pub all around me people drinking beer while i was on white wine. And i even went for a bike ride. Think i'll give up.

Does anyone know if whiksy is good for dieting?

Rob

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:39 pm

r900p wrote:Drink what you want want, i've had to stop drinking beer becuase my girlfriend and mum have ganged up and siad i need to loose a beer belly, so i was sat in the pub all around me people drinking beer while i was on white wine. And i even went for a bike ride. Think i'll give up.

Does anyone know if whiksy is good for dieting?

Rob

Unfortunately alcohol is not compatible with dieting to lose weight.

My doctor said to me to give up drinking. I said " would it make me live longer". He replied " no it'll just feel like it" :wink:

Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:42 pm

LOL at the responses!! You guys are the best!

The older couples at the bar are always in disbelief when I tell them I am only 25 and have such a strong love for single malt scotch whisky.

Just for the record friends, I do enjoy all of my single malts neat. This includes the Aberlour A'bunadh Cask Strength and the Ardbeg Uigeadail!!

BTW......for proof here are the pics!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/macallanfan/

At the Lebanese restaurant I ordered:

Shish Kabob
Shish Kafta
Tabbouli
Hummus
Grape Leaves

Great thread guys!!!! LOL!!

Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:39 pm

Not to worry Les. As long as you enjoyed the drink that is all that matters. :thumbsup:

A great band band once released an album that covers this topic nicely.
It was called " A Momentary Lapse of Reason.'
It's a classic, and I am willing to bet most of us here on the forum have succumbed to that at one time or another.

A few years ago Remy Martin, in an effort to broaden their sales,
were suggesting serving their good stuff over ice or with orange juice. :yuk:

Bottom line...life is too short, enjoy it while you can.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:13 am

les taylor wrote:
Crieftan wrote:

Mrc C

:shock: I nearly missed that one. What else has the little minx been saying behind m'back? Time she got her own login methinks :lol:

I had a 'laddie Rocks on ice a couple of weeks past, so can't complain. It was alright and I'd probably do it again (Image but only if no one was looking) :wink:

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:51 pm

"Does anyone know if whisky is good for dieting? "-Rob

What ws the old tommy cooper joke?

"I'm on a whisky diet - i've lost three days already."

LP-I once ordered a Laphroaig in a Indian restaurant. It came with ice. I told them I didn't order it with ice. they took it away. brought it back having fished out the (by now melted )ice...I INSISTED on a fresh one, and got it!

We malt lovers must fight for the right to drink whisky as we like it, which to most of us, most of the time, means NEAT, with maybe just a wee drop of water especially for higher ABV. Barstaff usually assume you want it with water or ice, so STRAIGHT/NEAT has to be specified...

But right now, it's a sweltering sunday afternoon here in England, and a glenmorangie on the rocks sounds perfect, i must admit!

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Crieftan wrote:
les taylor wrote:
Crieftan wrote:

Mrc C

:shock: I nearly missed that one. What else has the little minx been saying behind m'back? Time she got her own login methinks :lol:

I had a 'laddie Rocks on ice a couple of weeks past, so can't complain. It was alright and I'd probably do it again (Image but only if no one was looking) :wink:

Criefy does that mean that Mrs Criefy sneaks onto your computer and posts and we think it's you?

You must give us a sign so that we know when it's you. :wink:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:30 pm

Hmmm...I'm starting to wonder whether "Mrs C" is actually a manifestation of multiple personality disorder--our boy in drag. My god, I hope not! Guess I'll find out in October. Image

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:33 pm

I don't know what's worse...Les putting ice in his malt or Crieftan not putting a password on his computer to keep the Mrs. from posting... ;)

Mark

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

No complaints here!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:26 am

Creiffy, I kinda like hearing from your better half from time to time. Means that she is keeping an eye on all the kids on the internet. Besides, she's pretty funny.
:lol:
Muskrat

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:12 am

Try and come to India in peak summer.

If you order a neat whisky and head for a quick pee , your whisky would have evaporated by the time you return. 8)

Relax. Ice is not as blasphemous as is made out to be

BubbaC

Postby BubbaC » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:22 pm

A cube of ice is forgivable. Any more than that though, you may be doing the devil's work. I think there's a papal decree about it somewhere.

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:25 pm

I like 'Laddie 10 on the rocks. Just seems to work for me. Also a blazing hot day and a Wild Turkey 101, on the rocks does wonders for the soul :)

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:45 pm

You deprived a whiskey connoisseur the opportunity of tasting Glenmorangie 10.

Actually, it might be nicer with a pint of Coke poured into it. Drink it as you like it, not how anyone else likes it. That's the main thing.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:19 am

Ballantines and loads of ice on a blazing evening is just stellar.

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:18 am

Lawrence wrote:Ballantines and loads of ice on a blazing evening is just stellar.

Lawrence I'm going to have to try this Ballantines. What makes it so good?

:)

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:31 pm

What makes it so good? the blazing evening of course! We've had so few of 'em this year...

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Ballantines & Ice? It could simply be the location and the weather but it's the flavour of scotch without having to think about it if you take my meaning, it's just having a drink with friends.

:dead:

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:24 pm

Lawrence wrote:Ballantines & Ice? It could simply be the location and the weather but it's the flavour of scotch without having to think about it if you take my meaning, it's just having a drink with friends.

Is it a particularly good blended scotch. Or would anything do. You would not use Bell's perhaps which has some older whiskies in it?

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:00 pm

les taylor wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Ballantines & Ice? It could simply be the location and the weather but it's the flavour of scotch without having to think about it if you take my meaning, it's just having a drink with friends.

Is it a particularly good blended scotch. Or would anything do. You would not use Bell's perhaps which has some older whiskies in it?

Nope, I would have to stick with Ballantines, I like the smoke that drifts in and out of the palate (although this is hard to detect with ice).

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:41 am

Guess this also explains why Ballantines's is sold so extensively in Asia. Its the house whisky across bars in several countries. With most countries have warm climes for a large part of the year, guess the best blend with ice sells best.

Cheers

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:02 am

Thanks guy's I'll see if I can get some to try for the weekend.

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:55 am

I'd agree with Lawrence...slowly working my way through a bottle of Ballantine's 17, and it really is a good whisky, blended or not!

Mark

Return to “Whisky Tastings”