Never again...

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Re: Never again...

Postby K-Mile » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:02 am

Mekong Thai Whisky... Not enough whisky, way to many spices and herbs...

MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby MrIntrepid » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:04 am

Mortlach - too much sulphur, although I hear it really depends on which bottling you get, I must be unlucky :(

SoMK
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Inchgower 25... :twisted: Each opening added loads of sulphur to it till it became undrinkable. Too bad, the first drams were realllly pleasant. Eeeew

Scotched

Postby Scotched » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Bowmore 12 (Disapointingly underwhelming)
Balblair '97 (Spirity and nothing like the 16)
Macallan 'Fine Oak' (Dull)
Glenkinchie 10 (Not a fav)
Longmorn 15 (I know I'm supposed to like this but I don't)

Had the Ben Nevis 6 yr old MMD Port finish recently and thought it was great.

clicker7
Silver Member

Postby clicker7 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:07 am

Edradour 10 -- had a strange finish and aftertaste (a little soapy, or chemical?).

Joseph

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:32 pm

clicker7 wrote:Edradour 10 -- had a strange finish and aftertaste (a little soapy, or chemical?).
Joseph
Joseph:
My comments in the past about this dram exactly. Wonder if it's from the same batch or do all Edradour 10's have this flaw? I picked mine up in July 1995 and hung onto it for a few years before finally opening it and regretting having bought two.

Muskrat

Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Fergie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:03 pm

I have been quite often been disappointed by the anticipated tast of malts.
I am more than happy with blends such as Black Label, Bells or Grouse. They are at least consistent.

Cheers.

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:39 pm

Fergie wrote:I have been quite often been disappointed by the anticipated tast of malts.
I am more than happy with blends such as Black Label, Bells or Grouse. They are at least consistent.

Cheers.

I guess malts are more adventurous, whatever good or bad that may bring... I think it's great that some distillery's acknowledge this fact, for instance with the A'bunadh batches.

If a distillery, like Highland Park I think, make a point out of consistency, one can wonder if they're being unrealistic, or vatting so many different runs / ages together you can start wondering how 'single' that single malt really is...

matthew2512
Silver Member

Postby matthew2512 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:48 am

my never agains would be....
Tobermory NAS- i found to be very bland and had almost no finish
Dun Bheagan speyside 8 year old- very boring and artificial
Clynelish 14 year old- I have heard some good things from other people about this bottle but i found it to be much too oily and sickly, maybe i just got a bad bottle?

LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:09 pm

Big Smoke 40. Too sweet. The peatiness is there but not as deep as some malts.

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:46 pm

Smokehead... :evil:

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:23 pm

I just realized I didn't like the Bowmore 16yo 1990 vintage (sherry) all that much... There are nice aspects to it, but it's a bit dull and not that well balanced, and there are better drams at a fraction of the costs.

The finish is nice though, so I won't feel reluctant to finish the bottle, but I probably won't replace it when it's gone.. Not with so many drams to be tried :)

clicker7
Silver Member

Postby clicker7 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:36 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
clicker7 wrote:Edradour 10 -- had a strange finish and aftertaste (a little soapy, or chemical?).
Joseph
Joseph:
My comments in the past about this dram exactly. Wonder if it's from the same batch or do all Edradour 10's have this flaw? I picked mine up in July 1995 and hung onto it for a few years before finally opening it and regretting having bought two.

Muskrat

Muskrat:

Regarding Edradour 10:

I picked up 2 Bottles in 2005, because I had read some good things about it (and I loved the bottle).

The ones I got, had a fair nose although a little perfumy, and sweet; The taste was strange, kind of chemical, sweet, nutty, with a soapy aftertaste.

I tried it a few more times and it only tasted worse-- I ended up using it for Scotch Sours for guests.

Since then, I have read some other reviews about it that claimed similar taste.

It may be one of those expressions that vary a lot batch to batch.

I'm kinda having that problem with Macallan 12.

I used to love Mac. 12, but my most recent bottle was nothing like I remembered. It was thinner, not as rich, or big, a little sour, and not as sweet or sherried as I remember--with a weaker shorter finish.

The new Mac 12 just doesn't taste as good to me like the stuff a few years back-- or maybe it varies with bottlings? I ended up returning/exchanging a bottle for a Talisker 10 (yumm, always good!). Sorry for the ramblings!

Joseph

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:53 pm

Balvenie 1993 Port Wood.

I just blind tasted the PW and the 12yo DW and prefer the DW. My wallet agrees so unless my tates change before the bottle empties, it's going to be a one off.

:cry:

It's too bad because I really enjoyed the 93 PW at Whisky Live. I wonder if that's because it was my 8 or 9th dram of the evening... :dead:

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:31 pm

jruddy wrote:Balvenie 1993 Port Wood.

I just blind tasted the PW and the 12yo DW and prefer the DW. My wallet agrees so unless my tates change before the bottle empties, it's going to be a one off.

It's too bad because I really enjoyed the 93 PW at Whisky Live. I wonder if that's because it was my 8 or 9th dram of the evening... :dead:

The 1989 PW Balvenie was terrible. Maybe it's just a bad idea to have this in port wood.

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:12 am

K-Mile wrote:I just realized I didn't like the Bowmore 16yo 1990 vintage (sherry) all that much... There are nice aspects to it, but it's a bit dull and not that well balanced, and there are better drams at a fraction of the costs.

The finish is nice though, so I won't feel reluctant to finish the bottle, but I probably won't replace it when it's gone.. Not with so many drams to be tried :)

Amen to all that! I brought it out at a tasting a few weeks ago and everybody looked at each other after tasting it. I thought it was too much of a one-trick pony and a rather inelegant one, at that... Nobody went back for seconds. Give me a Bowmore 17 any day. The bottle's going to last a while...

I bought it after a friend claimed it was easily on par with a Lagavulin DE (his favorite dram). I have to wonder about his palate now... :wink:

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:19 am

Sherried Malt wrote:Amen to all that! I brought it out at a tasting a few weeks ago and everybody looked at each other after tasting it. I thought it was too much of a one-trick pony and a rather inelegant one, at that... Nobody went back for seconds. Give me a Bowmore 17 any day. The bottle's going to last a while...

I bought it after a friend claimed it was easily on par with a Lagavulin DE (his favorite dram). I have to wonder about his palate now... :wink:

On par with a Laga DE? That definitely doesn't work that way for me :)

Another bottle I wouldn't buy that easily is the new Bowmore Darkest. I really, really enjoy the older expression, which has been matured for 18 months in sherry wood. The new one is 'much better' according to the Bowmore rep I spoke at Whisky Live Leiden last Friday, because it was matured for three years on sherry (both 12 years on american oak).

I tried it, and all the power and unique expressions were gone. As long as the older bottles are available, I will not get a single drop of the new version...

Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:16 am

I think you all are crazy for not liking the Mac Fine Oak line......I think it's wonderful. :shock: :oops: 8)

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:11 pm

Les Paul wrote:I think you all are crazy for not liking the Mac Fine Oak line......I think it's wonderful. :shock: :oops: 8)

Hi Les I've only had the Ten. I do like it very much.

:)

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Les Paul wrote:I think you all are crazy for not liking the Mac Fine Oak line......I think it's wonderful. :shock: :oops: 8)

The 15 is brilliant. The 10 is duff and you should get a bourbon cask bottling from DTC instead. 8)

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:48 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:
jruddy wrote:Balvenie 1993 Port Wood.

The 1989 PW Balvenie was terrible. Maybe it's just a bad idea to have this in port wood.

I discovered the 93 pw goes quite well with Sour Cream and Onion chips/crisps.
:lol:

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:03 am

jruddy wrote:I discovered the 93 pw goes quite well with Sour Cream and Onion chips/crisps.
:lol:

:D That's only because those chips completely destroy your palate ;)

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 am

You know, the Fine Oak is not that bad if you don't compare it to the Sherry line, especially the ones from the '60s or '70s. It's jsut that it suffers by comparison.

I had two of the Fine Oaks at the "Celebrate the Macallan" event in NYC in September and remember thinking that they weren't that bad at all. Until they brought out the Macallan 18 Sherry...

YMMV...

CCRoy

Postby CCRoy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:14 pm

I feel very unpatriotic saying this, but any American sour mash - NO. I just never have warmed to that sour mash tang that my fellow sour mash-loving Americans either don't mind or don't notice. But I notice and I mind. It's like that funky taste you get in the back of the tongue after you vomit. Yuck. Granted, better sour mash whiskies aren't as bad as the cheaper ones, but just the faintest hint of it is enough to put me off my drink.

I also will likely never buy anything JW again. I overpaid for a bottle of the Black Label that I found absolutely undrinkable. Someone told me "You most have had a bad bottle" - yeah, but it's a blend. I thought those were suppose to be more consistent. I never bought a bad bottle of Jameson or Bushmill's, and I bought plenty of those back in my college days. So I can't excuse it for that.

Fortunately, so far, I haven't bought a Scotch malt I didn't like. I know one day it will happen, but so far, I've been ultra-conservative and cautious about what I'll throw down my US$$ for. I've been known to walk into the store with a handful of tastings and comments I printed off the net - I'm going to print out this whole thread, in fact. I'm not ashamed to do my homework and look like a goofy novice. It's my money, dammit! Fortunately, in the States, no one expects you to actually know anything about Scotch malts, so no one judges you as you stand there in the aisle looking befuddled and overwhelmed, flipping through papers while muttering to yourself. Malts are widely different, yes, and there is that element of surprise even when you buy the same label, but I'm an adventurous sort, so I like that. Plus, no vomity tang in the finish.

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:50 am

Doh...can't you just use the drain seekers as mixers. Seems like such a waste, but then again, I didn't taste it.

woodhill
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:29 am

Collector57 wrote:Benrinnes 15 F&F.
Foul.
Sulphurous.
Sickly sweet.
Revolting.
Drain-unblocker.

Gone down the sink.

Nick

I'm begining to get the impression from various posts you have made on the forum, that you are not the Worlds biggest fan of the Benrinnes F+F.

Could that be correct?

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:34 pm

Foul.
Sulphurous.
Sickly sweet.
Revolting.
Drain-unblocker.

Gone down the sink.

When did you have it? I was at the distillery last autumn and the stuff was brilliant.

Zarathustra

Postby Zarathustra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Isle of Jura 10.

sthrngentlmn

Postby sthrngentlmn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:52 am

Speyburn 10 year....................all I got was the "burn" !

scotchwillie

Postby scotchwillie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:52 pm

sthrngentlmn wrote:Speyburn 10 year....................all I got was the "burn" !

Ditto here. I actually used to like the Speyburn 10 as a budget Scotch...and then I tried Famous Grouse, Black Bottle, and even Grant's. All blends, and all at least as cheap -- and far tastier, IMHO -- than the Speyburn. I see no reason to blow $20 USD on that malt when such fine blends are available at the same price point.

-Will

Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:42 pm

woodhill wrote:
Foul.
Sulphurous.
Sickly sweet.
Revolting.
Drain-unblocker.

Gone down the sink.

I enjoyed the Benrinnes 15 and I don't recognise it from this description! Sounds like a dodgy bottle.

Deactivated Member

Re:

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Ann-Helen wrote:I have to say there are a very few whiskies I won`t buy again Glenlivet Rn Mac Donald 31 yo is one Tormore 12 yo ( a huge problem here since I just NEED something from every scottish singel malt distillery and I haven`t seen anything else but the awful tormore 12 yo)
Laphroaig should be on my list but since my husband loves it we`ll have to buy it. :( :)

Haha! I bought the Tormore because it was £14 or something in a supermarket and agree that it was awful. I'm thinking, however, of buying these cheap, awful ones to try and make them into something much better when I buy my 1L maturing cask from the States next month. 8)

SoMK
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:28 pm

Strangely enough, I'd say A'bunadh batch 21. Way too sherried/fruity orange for me, it seems over the top... What happened to that batch ?! :o
*on the other hand, if you want my batch 20 or 17, you'll have to pry them loose.. :insane: *

hook55
Silver Member

Postby hook55 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:01 am

:roll: Jack Daniels!!!! No more JD for Me! :headbang:

nestor

Postby nestor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:05 am

Talisker 10. Not a drain pour, but I think it will be sitting on my desk for a while...

Yes, I know - a favourite of oh so many... I can't deal with the pepper. It tastes like cooked vegetables to me, and my palate, trained on beer, says that is bad.

Sorry to Tali fans everywhere

Return to “Whisky Tastings”