To replace or not to replace

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:54 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Thanks, Rb! I have fun with it. If you and others enjoy it as well, that's Grade-A gravy!

I've been meaning to mention it as well. So far I've shared with you the highs and lows of two trips to Scotland and I'm looking forward to reading more and looking through the photographs.

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Just finished a bottle of Mortlach / Dewar Rattray's Cask Collection, 15 Yrs.

This was one I will not replace.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Even though my last Bruichladdich "Waves" ddin't survive a few weeks over Christmas without turning into something rather unpleasant, I will be replacing it with another sometime soon.
MT

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Longmorn

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:29 pm

Dubois wrote:2 bottles I will not replace:
Bowmore Dawn
Longmorn 15 Yrs

Dubois: I haven't tasted my "Dawn" yet so can't comment, but the Longmorn 15 is one of my favorite SMs, which it took nearly two years to find a replacement for. I had acquired the first in May 2004 and bought the second in April 2006. Like the Edradour 10 yo that I used to know and love, has the Longmorn changed that much in the intervening year or two?
I'd appreciate hearing your comments. Thank you in advance.
Peter

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Edradour 10 yo

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:26 pm

A bottle that I would not replace:
Has to be the Edradour 10 yo, purchased in 2004. I tried to sample it yet again last night and couldn't get around the soapy taste that predominates the whisky. I've been trying this whisky for the past 6 months, hoping oxidation might have a positive effect. I tried it neat, with water, drowned in water and even with ice. Ice is tantamount to heresy in my whisky book, right up there with adding Coke. (...and I damned near did that last night!)
Rather than introduce over 1/2 of a bottle to the sewer system, I finally tracked down the Edradour email address and sent them a missive on my concerns. I will advise the forum if there is a response, however at present I will not be replacing this bottle any time soon. :( Especially galling is that I have a spare bottle of the wretched stuff! :(
Muskrat

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Re: Edradour 10 yo

Postby Frodo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:00 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Especially galling is that I have a spare bottle of the wretched stuff! Muskrat

LCBO will exchange any product that is still saleable without a recipt...

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Re: Edradour 10 yo

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:49 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:A bottle that I would not replace:
Has to be the Edradour 10 yo, purchased in 2004. I tried to sample it yet again last night and couldn't get around the soapy taste that predominates the whisky. I've been trying this whisky for the past 6 months, hoping oxidation might have a positive effect. I tried it neat, with water, drowned in water and even with ice. Ice is tantamount to heresy in my whisky book, right up there with adding Coke. (...and I damned near did that last night!)
Rather than introduce over 1/2 of a bottle to the sewer system, I finally tracked down the Edradour email address and sent them a missive on my concerns. I will advise the forum if there is a response, however at present I will not be replacing this bottle any time soon. :( Especially galling is that I have a spare bottle of the wretched stuff! :(
Muskrat

Pete, send it my way! ;) I've never been able to detect the soapiness people talk about in the Edradour 10...have tried several bottles in both the old and new (post-Signatory) packaging. Never tasted any soap, though...

Mark

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:22 pm

One more I will not replace:
Glenfarclas 105

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:52 pm

The following I think I will always keep in my collection:

Laphroaig 10
Laphroaig CS
Laphroaig QC
Oban 14
Lagavulin 16
Glenlivet (usually one at a time, but either 12yr, Nadurra, or 18yr)
Ardbeg 10
Talisker 10

A couple that I will buy again at some point, but not necessarily keep in my collection at all times are:

Clynelish
Springbank
Caol Ila
Glenfarclas

jcasazza

Postby jcasazza » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:39 pm

need to replace when finished:

Ardbeg 10
Oak Cross
Tomintoul 16
Johnny Walker Gold

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Soon need to replace Ardbeg 10,Laphroiaig CS, glenlivet Naddurra...

Already missing...Glenmo' Port Finish(Got a "Rum" one waiting 2B opened)
... a good sherried malt sucha s Macallan 18...which is way outa my pocket at the moment. would have replaced the 'Farclas 12, but sainsbury's seem to be out of it. Oh, and an Oogie...wherefore art thou??

Won't bother with another Mac FO 15...

SoMK
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 am

Replace :
Highland Prk 12
Glenfarclas 12
Cragganmore 12 (f**k that's good !)

Not Replace :
Glen Elgin 12 yo (meh)

ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:59 pm

I'm with you Reggaeblues . Would always have a bottle of Glenfarclas 12 on hand as i really enjoy this (far more than the 10).Luckily still have one left in stock.Sainsburys got a stock in a few christmases ago up here but have never seen it since. [/list]

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Oh, and an Oogie...wherefore art thou??

Mr Picky thinks you slept through Shakespeare! "Wherefore" means "why"--"Wherefore art thou Romeo?" means "Why the hell did you have to be a stinkin' Montague?"

The annoying pedantic Mr Picky has been shoved back under his rock now.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:27 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Oh, and an Oogie...wherefore art thou??

Mr Picky thinks you slept through Shakespeare! "Wherefore" means "why"--"Wherefore art thou Romeo?" means "Why the hell did you have to be a stinkin' Montague?"

The annoying pedantic Mr Picky has been shoved back under his rock now.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:29 pm

Oops! Down, Mr Picky, down, I say!

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Late to the party, but

Have to replace:

HP Bicentenary
HP 30 (just opened, but I know I have to replace it already.)
HP 19 (Yeah, good luck on that!)
Mac 18
Lagavulin DE
Bruichladdich Whiskyship Valinch. (Good luck on that too...) :D

Won't replace:

Laphroaig CS
Springbank 32 (Wish I could but way too expensive.) :shock:

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:p Valinch. (Good luck on that too...) :D

Won't replace:

Laphroaig CS

Interesting, why not? I've only had one dram of it (at the White Hart in Port Ellen) and really liked it. It isn't available here so I wish I'd found some for pick up but the Laphroaig shop didn't have any, nor did any Spar shop I went into.

Harry

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:33 pm

hpulley wrote:
Sherried Malt wrote:p Valinch. (Good luck on that too...) :D

Won't replace:

Laphroaig CS

Interesting, why not? I've only had one dram of it (at the White Hart in Port Ellen) and really liked it. It isn't available here so I wish I'd found some for pick up but the Laphroaig shop didn't have any, nor did any Spar shop I went into.

Harry

I found the peat overwhelming and it became a one-trick whisky. Water helped a bit, but not enough... I have the same "problem" to a lesser extent with the regular Lagavulin 16. I find the DE to be much better balanced.

But as they say here in the States, "Your mileage may vary." :D

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:15 am

"Balance" is a) subjective, and b) vastly overrated.

Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:32 am

Definately will not replace the Glenmorangie Port Wood. Probably will replace the Laphroaig 10yo and Ardbeg Almost There. Would like to replace the Balvenie 15 but not at this price -- almost $90.00!! :o

EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Re: To replace or not to replace

Postby EdipisReks » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:49 pm

i almost always seem to have Highland Park 12, Ardbeg TEN, Laphroaig (10 or 15, depending on the specials), and Elijah Craig single barrel bourbon on my shelf. i like to keep them on hand in case the experiment bottles don't work out. ;)

heatmiser

Postby heatmiser » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:06 am

Not Replace: Longmorn 15 (okay, but many are better)
Replace: Clynelish 14 (one of my new favorites!!!)

LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm

I need to have at least a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail around or I feel insecure! :thumbsup: I also will buy anything that is on sale at Specs so for the last week, its Bowmore Legend and Auchantoshan.

laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:32 pm

Probably I'll never replace any bottle, because it's better to try new expressions (but only single malt).
Bye
Luca

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:25 pm

My cupboard is out of space. My wife says I have to start finishing bottles off before trying more... :evil:

I will absolutely replace:
Balvenie 12 dw
Longmorn 15 (So long as I can find it...)
And I really must replace the last bottle of Redbreast that I haven't yet replaced...
:(

If funds flowed a bit more freely I'd replace:
HP 18
The Glenlivet 18

pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:43 am

My "must haves":
- Talisker 10
- Lagavulin 16
- Macallan CS
- Ar least one Balvenie
- At least one Laphroaig
- Woodford Reserve
- Eagle Rare (except that I don't have any right now!)
- Jameson Gold
- At least one Bushmills

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:32 pm

laphroaig10_65 wrote:Probably I'll never replace any bottle, because it's better to try new expressions (but only single malt).
Bye
Luca

I have to admit that I strongly agree with Luca's sentiments. There are so many Single Malts and whiskies out there to try, it's nearly unnecessary duplication if you replace every bottle you've ever owned. Granted, there are a few you couldn't do without. However, there's only so much volume in the Whisky Lake, it would be adviseable to sample as many as you can before it can dry up.

With that in mind, I've love to acquire the Aberlour A'Bunadh's I've not tried as well as the Ardbeg "young, still young, et al" series and of course the Port Ellen 2-6 series, having owned and enjoying the PE 1. Guess I need to win that lottery.

Muskrat

mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby mattbuty » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:02 pm

I will be replacing my Tomintoul but I will not be replacing my Edradour...I don't know why but I just can't get enthusiastic about it.

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:21 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
laphroaig10_65 wrote:Probably I'll never replace any bottle, because it's better to try new expressions (but only single malt).
Bye
Luca

I have to admit that I strongly agree with Luca's sentiments. There are so many Single Malts and whiskies out there to try, it's nearly unnecessary duplication if you replace every bottle you've ever owned. Granted, there are a few you couldn't do without. However, there's only so much volume in the Whisky Lake, it would be adviseable to sample as many as you can before it can dry up.

With that in mind, I've love to acquire the Aberlour A'Bunadh's I've not tried as well as the Ardbeg "young, still young, et al" series and of course the Port Ellen 2-6 series, having owned and enjoying the PE 1. Guess I need to win that lottery.

Muskrat

As a fairly newbie whisky enthousiast I expect this to be a valuable piece of advice. Having only tried a handful of different expressions, duplication is probably one of the greatest waste of money and time.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”