What is your 'Strangest' Whis(e)y?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Deactivated Member

What is your 'Strangest' Whis(e)y?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 21, 2006 12:51 pm

Not necessarily your favourite, best or worst dram. But what is the strangest, most surprising or most unusual dram you have tried?

Perhaps you expected one thing, but were confronted by something totally unexpected.

I ask after trying a specific dram last night for the first time. I expected something light, something slightly different, but was confronted with something very unusual. Something I can't quite put my finger on yet, so I will re-visit the same dram later this evening and post my tasting notes and opinion.

However, I will say what the dram was: Bruichladdich Rocks.

What's yours?
WH

Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun May 21, 2006 1:04 pm

I can't remember the brand but it was a Japanese whisky. After everything I'd heard and read about the rise of Japanese whiskies I was expecting something really good, but instead I got a pale imitation of a supermarket own-label blend!

Cheers, Paul

parvus
Silver Member

Postby parvus » Sun May 21, 2006 1:33 pm

For me it'd have to be Ledaig 20yo. The nose was a strange mix of seafood and watermelon. The palate and finish were not even close to what the nose suggested. It was a very confusing dram, that's for sure.

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun May 21, 2006 2:44 pm

haven't tried it yet but bought a bottle of thai whiskey in a little town 50 miles out of bangkok cost me the equivalent of £2. thats a deal.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 21, 2006 3:13 pm

Good luck with that Thai whisky! I'm curious to hear about it, as I bought one at the airport, Tumbler, which was probably better with lots of ice and Coke and Red Bull and whatever else they usually mix it with!

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 21, 2006 4:01 pm

I was quite surprised when I tasted Japanese whisky for the first time! The Nikka Yoichi Distillery 10y and 15y were the two I tasted simultaneously, and I immediately thought of Bruichladdich. I expected hints of green tea, or a lighter and fresher style of whisky, maybe more similar to Lowland whiskies, but didn't get that at all. But what really blew me away was the McCarthy's Single Malt from Portland, Oregon, made from Scottish peated barley. Like Jim Murray writes in his Whisky Bible, "the closest whisk(e)y I have come across to how Ardbeg was 20 years ago!" The nose is like standing on an airport runway, and although it isn't as pleasant as the petroleum found in an aged German riesling, it's definitely interesting, and good!

Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sun May 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Strangest? Well, I think one of the most peculiar whiskies was the Tormore 12yo OB. According to the importer it is a 100% bourbonbarrel whisky. But the colour of it was of a 50yo 1:st fill sherryhogshead.. And the taste was as syrup. :oops: Either the importer has got it all wrong, or the whisky was mixed 50/50 with paxarette...

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 21, 2006 5:15 pm

Sorry Bullie, but what's paxarette?? And is it really mixed with whisky?

Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sun May 21, 2006 5:18 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Sorry Bullie, but what's paxarette?? And is it really mixed with whisky?

Oh, it's kind of a concentrated sherry, that was/are used to smear into the barrels when 'rejuvenating' them, to regain their 'sherrycharacter'.
It is VERY sweet. Kind of sherrysyrup of sorts...

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 21, 2006 5:18 pm

That's curious, while my bottle of OB Tormore is a little dark there is no mention of the casks used and the flavour profile is a bit like a good rye whisky. Must be different bottlings.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Thanks Bullie! I assume they don't have to warn us on the label they've put the casks through this process? Damn, I guess it's smart to buy the whiskies that specifically say non-chillfiltered, non-colored, etc.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 21, 2006 8:51 pm

OK, so back to my Laddie Rocks:
My first impression of this whisky caused me to start this discussion. I was obviously influenced by all the publicity surrounding this one when it was released and I expected something wishy-washy and only fit to have ice and / or water added.

Anyway, I still find the 'Rocks' rather surprising.
Colour; very light and pale with a very slight coppery tint.
My initial impression of the nose was somewhere between shoe leather and factory floor. I just couldn't sense anything else coming from this dram.
The first taste was then another complete surprise, as it was light but very spicy. Almost black pepper.
The tingling remained on my palate fro some time, but when it cleared this turned into an aftertaste of licorice. The licorice was still present after some minutes.
That was my initial reaction and I just couldn't get away from that impression from the nose.

So, tonight I re-visit the Laddie Rocks. First time around I used a less than perfect glass. One of those Bowmore thistle shaped small tumblers.
Tonight, an Ardbeg tulip glass.

Here you now have a live tasting on the forum:
Nose; Definitely a slight hint of licorice, a very slight antiseptic aroma, some floral notes and something creamy that I can't quite put my finger on, but may almost be mango or papaya.
Taste; Spicy licorice with a lingering licorice aftertaste.

Hmmmmmm, this really does qualify as a 'strange' malt in so far as it has not been what I expected.

WH

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Without doubt, Woodford Reserve's recent Four-Grain. I'm sure it'll sell out - even with this Spring's second (and, thankfully, last!) edition -- because it's limited and from a noted distillery/distributor, but it's absolutely horrid stuff. I tried it again at a recent Bardstown, KY gathering of bourbon aficianados, and pitched the dregs of the glass over the rail -- too many other, better things to spend time on.
Put some pennies in your mouth and drink some whisk(e)y -- that'll approximate the senstation. The copper from those 'fabled' pot stills will be the prominent taste.
Funny thing is, if you take equal parts of Heaven Hill's new Bernheim Wheat Whiskey and a straight rye -- try either Van Winkle or the new, younger Sazerac -- you get a very fine four-grain vatting. So, you can see what WR was shooting for. Boy, did they miss, though!

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon May 22, 2006 2:29 am

Auchentoshan Three Wood, wet cardboard, prune juice nose, bug spray and rotten figs in the mouth and don't ask how I got bug spray. :roll: Definitely an unpleasant experience that I assume comes from the Pedro Ximinex sherry?

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 2:50 am

les taylor wrote:haven't tried it yet but bought a bottle of thai whiskey in a little town 50 miles out of bangkok cost me the equivalent of £2. thats a deal.

Hopefully les will soon let us know what it really means to Thai one on.

The strangest malt I've had is a Connoisseur's Choice Littlemill, experienced last year at the Marine Hotel in Stonehaven. (I think I mistakenly referred to it recently as a MacPhail's Collection.) I described it thus in MF2MoG (Whisky Chat):

I try a few things; the one that really stands out is the Littlemill, which I order out of sheer perversity. It is indeed a unique experience. Imagine a fairly nice but undistinctive malt; add a few drops of turpentine. Now store the malt inside one of your car's tires and drive for a week or two in very hot weather. There you have it...the worst whisky I've ever had, by far. It ruins the subsequent Clynelish, as well, even with a pint in between.

It seems to me that for most people, their strangest whisky will also be their worst. It might be worth asking also what the strangest whisky is that you've actually liked. And off the top of my head, I'd say a 1973 Bruichladdich that tasted to me for all the world like a really nice calvados. If Joe (Thirstin') Howell still has a bottle of it next time I'm in Boston, I'm going to have a hard time resisting it, despite the price tag.

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon May 22, 2006 3:54 am

TNbourbon wrote:Funny thing is, if you take equal parts of Heaven Hill's new Bernheim Wheat Whiskey and a straight rye -- try either Van Winkle or the new, younger Sazerac -- you get a very fine four-grain vatting. So, you can see what WR was shooting for. Boy, did they miss, though!

Tim, that's a great idea...I have a bottle of Bernheim, and think I may have a rye mini from Michter's somewhere. I'll give it a try...

Mark

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Mon May 22, 2006 7:10 am

Maybe a Bow Street 1963. If you told me it was a bourbon, I would have believed you. Probably from the length of time in the wood. I was wonderful, though.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 8:40 am

After my second tasting of Bruichladdich Rocks I would say that yes, I quite like this one.
But I admit that was not my thought after my first tasting.

It obviously pays to persevere.
WH

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon May 22, 2006 8:45 am

Bowmore Red Wine Finish.

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Mon May 22, 2006 8:54 am

Frodo wrote:Bowmore Red Wine Finish.

Actually, the wine finishes are quite unusual. I had the Tain L'hermitage (spelling?) from Glenmorangie and it was very unusual.

lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Mon May 22, 2006 9:06 am

My strangest whisky, without a shadow of a doubt: Laotian Snake Whisky. It's got 2 young cobras in the bottle ..... Picture and tasting notes here: http://www.celticmalts.com/edge.htm (scroll down to the May 1, 2003 entry)

Cheers, Lex

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon May 22, 2006 9:38 am

Wow Lexkraai - that's very brave of you! Sounds and looks like a major health hazard!

My strangest whisky so far is the Chieftain's Dalmore Cask Strength. Its nose is very weird indeed with an almost rumlike taste.

Christian

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Mon May 22, 2006 10:57 am

lexkraai wrote:My strangest whisky, without a shadow of a doubt: Laotian Snake Whisky. It's got 2 young cobras in the bottle ..... Picture and tasting notes here: http://www.celticmalts.com/edge.htm (scroll down to the May 1, 2003 entry)

Cheers, Lex

Isn't that what gives Loch Du its colour?

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon May 22, 2006 4:06 pm

Glen Isla. Like baby medicine and those shrimp sweets I ate as I child.

Weirdly delicious. Wish I could afford a bottle :(

laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Edradour 11 yo "Bordeaux Finish" Straight from the Cask: very warm and sweet and it needs some work by drops of water to be appreciated.
Bye
Luca

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 22, 2006 5:44 pm

It was either the Prince of Wales whcih tasted like burnt rubber or a Thai whisky blended with the 'finest scotch whiskies', it was horrible.

I seem to have drifted from strange to worst.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 6:44 pm

bamber wrote:Glen Isla. Like baby medicine and those shrimp sweets I ate as I child.(

If you take cough medicine to get rid of a cough, what's baby medicine for? :?

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Mon May 22, 2006 6:49 pm

laphroaig10_65 wrote:Edradour 11 yo "Bordeaux Finish" Straight from the Cask: very warm and sweet and it needs some work by drops of water to be appreciated.
Bye
Luca

More wine finishes...

Mr Ellen
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon May 22, 2006 7:16 pm

Bowmore Claret, the one finished in Bourdeux. Far to much influence from the wine makes this whisky one of my strangest experiences. It's not whisky, nor wine but some experiment in between. :roll:

Cheers

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon May 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Not necessarily a strange taste but Duncan Taylor's 1988 Glen Garioch, featured in WM this month, is 100% matured in a cognac cask.

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon May 22, 2006 9:46 pm

WhiskyHammer wrote:After my second tasting of Bruichladdich Rocks I would say that yes, I quite like this one.
But I admit that was not my thought after my first tasting.

It obviously pays to persevere.
WH

What colour is your Bruicladdich Rocks.

I bought some for my mum and it was very pale. I bought some for myself, about 4 months later, and it was quite red, as if being finished ruby in port pipes.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 10:28 pm

My Laddie Rocks is extremely pale, it has a slight copper colour and after all the previous remarks I have read elsewhere about it being quite insignificant, I now beg to differ.

This is a remarkable whisky, it promises nothing, but delivers plenty, albeit all unexpectedly.

My third tasting today was completely different to the previous two days, so I think I will now leave it alone for few weeks to see what changes it produces.

WH

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon May 22, 2006 10:48 pm

WhiskyHammer wrote:My Laddie Rocks is extremely pale, it has a slight copper colour and after all the previous remarks I have read elsewhere about it being quite insignificant, I now beg to differ.

WH

Whoever said it's insignificant is mental. It's the best Bruichladdich by miles, unless you buy a very old one, and it's well ahead of the 10 year old.

Check your local stockist and get as much of the pale stuff as you can afford because the red stuff isn't a patch on it.

Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Tue May 23, 2006 12:29 pm

Sorry, bit of non-suprising thing, but you just can't beat the Loch Dhu. :shock:
Even the "Mekong(?)" whisky in Thailand can't beat the taste of the Loch Dhu, actually "Mekong" is said to be drinkable (or even good) with Cola. But I'm not sure how small portion of "Mekong" should be in that drink ... If you like moonshine though, you like "Mekong", there is the same metallic and white spirit off-flavour (tinge?) existing. :lol:

S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Strangest whisky I've had...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Wed May 24, 2006 6:36 am

This is a case in which the strangest whisky I've had is also the worst whisky I've ever drammed, by a country mile no less. Worse, it was from one of my favorite distilleries - Talisker. Amongst PLOWEDsters, it's referred to as the "Pumpkin Talisker", a Cadenhead's 18 yr old sherry cask bottling in which the whisky was orange in color. The nose smelled just like finger nail polish remover and I would guess that the taste was just like that of the same (No, I haven't tasted finger nail polish remover yet, but this Tallywhacker was probably as close as I will ever come to it). The stillman/distiller must have been asleep at the switch, as this cask sure got much more than just the middle cut. Relatively speaking, the Pumpkin Talisker makes Loch Dhu taste like Black Bow in comparison. My fellow PLOWEDster who posts here from time to time, Whiskyhill, had the infamous bottle. I had it as a morning skalk at a get together at his place (only tasted it, wouldn't dare swallow it). Truly ugly stuff!

Slainte!

S'tan

Return to “Whisky Tastings”