Bunnahabain 12 year old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
elli

Bunnahabain 12 year old

Postby elli » Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 pm

I was given as a present a 12 year Bunnahabain, what is it like :?:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Taste it and YOU tell us!

It's a long time since I drank this one, something like 10 years, but I remember it being very pleasant indeed and I get the impression it's a much overlooked dram.

WH

Jan
Gold Member

Re: Bunnahabain 12 year old

Postby Jan » Thu May 18, 2006 8:57 pm

elli wrote:I was given as a present a 12 year Bunnahabain, what is it like :?:

Uhmm - have you checked the tasting notes :?: :wink:

Cheers
Jan

elli

Postby elli » Thu May 18, 2006 9:01 pm

Jan wrote Uhmm - have you checked the tasting notes
fortunately I can read :oops: , I am asking those who have tasted the 12 year Bunnahabain, not those who have read the label
thanks

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Thu May 18, 2006 9:06 pm

elli wrote:fortunately I can read, I am asking those who have tasted the 12 year Bunnahabain, not those who have read the label
thanks

Good for you....

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu May 18, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi Elli:

I think Jan was referring to the thread "tasting notes of the forum" as opposed to the tasting notes on the bottle. It's the first thread under Whisky Tastings, and I think there are 3 reviews of Bunahabhain 12 on pg.3 of the thread.

I'm really in the minority in this forum with regards to my impression of Bunnahabhain. Loads of people like it a lot. I find it really, really bland. Not my cuppa at all, but that doesn't mean you won't like it.

If you tell us what you usually like to drink in terms of whisky, we could probably give you a comparison with the Bunnahabhain. Just a thought. Not trying to pry.

Cheers.
Last edited by Frodo on Thu May 18, 2006 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu May 18, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi Elli

I have tasted it, but it was over a year ago. I thought it was nice, but not outstanding, or anything. Anyway, it's well worth drinking. Enjoy it.

elli

Postby elli » Thu May 18, 2006 9:31 pm

thanks aidan and frodo, I enjoy smooth, silky whiskies like macallan elegencia, I enjoy those that have a toffee nose to it, clenelish and aberlour abunadh, but also the peaty smoky whiskies Ardbeg, e.t.c. Basically any whisky that can give you a positive reaction, a positive thought towards what one has drunk. I enjoy a whisky that make you think, if you know what I mean. By the way the rare breed wild turkey is fantastic
Thanks
Take care
i hope I haven't caused any offence

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu May 18, 2006 9:39 pm

elli wrote:thanks aidan and frodo, I enjoy smooth, silky whiskies like macallan elegencia, I enjoy those that have a toffee nose to it, clenelish and aberlour abunadh, but also the peaty smoky whiskies Ardbeg, e.t.c. Basically any whisky that can give you a positive reaction, a positive thought towards what one has drunk. I enjoy a whisky that make you think, if you know what I mean. By the way the rare breed wild turkey is fantastic
Thanks
Take care
i hope I haven't caused any offence

Elli

Of course you haven't caused offence. Sure this is a forum, designed for asking questions.

Anyway, it sounds like you like a wide range of whiskies.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu May 18, 2006 10:07 pm

elli wrote:i hope I haven't caused any offence

Hi Elli:

If you're considering spending some of your time on this board, you may wish to PM Jan to clear up any misunderstandings. There was just something in your exchange with Jan that sounded...strained? It sounds like you enjoy a fair range of whiskies - evidence of an open mind - so I for one hope you find something in this board worth sticking around for. Open minded people tend to ask questions that provoke thought and give feedback that tends to look at subjects from new angles. We can always use open minded members here!! :D :D

With regard to your initial question, I'm thinking the Bunahabhain offers a more subtle or austere experiance than the whiskies you've mentioned. I'd compare Buny to Auchantoshan 10 OB or Bushmills 10yr OB - not exactly whiskies that set my house on fire. It doesn't mean Buny is a bad whisky - rather that perhaps I don't have the palate nessisary enjoy it.

lambda
Bronze Member

Postby lambda » Thu May 18, 2006 10:50 pm

I opened up a bottle of it yesterday, so I haven't explored it thorougly yet. My first thoughts are that it's quite nutty/oily and malty, very interesting and pleasant in the nose, and soft (some may call it smooth/bland/watery) on the palate. This makes it very drinkable, but I can't help thinking they should have bottled it at a higher strength.

elli

Postby elli » Thu May 18, 2006 11:04 pm

thank frodo for your advice, i have already sent a message to Jan he seems to do alot of good stuff on this forum, the tasting notes were very helpful, thanks for your comments. when he said to read the tasting notes, I never realised what he meant, the ones that he had carefully collated that were very helpful.
Take care

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri May 19, 2006 2:15 am

Welcome to the forum Elli!

Christian

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri May 19, 2006 5:32 am

No offence taken - it was I, who should have explained properly. :oops:

Welcome to the forums Elli.

Cheers
Jan

elli

Postby elli » Fri May 19, 2006 6:14 am

thanks everyone

Skauge

Postby Skauge » Fri May 19, 2006 9:01 am

You really should add a couple of drops of water to that and compare the nose before and after the water. It becomes completely different, at least that's what it did for me the last time I tried it. The perfect example of what some water could do to a whisky.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri May 19, 2006 1:18 pm

elli wrote:when he said to read the tasting notes, I never realised what he meant, the ones that he had carefully collated that were very helpful.
Take care

Yeah, I thought that might have been the mix-up. Welcome to the forum Elli!

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri May 19, 2006 1:23 pm

And welcome to the forum Skauge! Quite an interesting website there!

I agree about experimenting with water. It really does help some whiskies and ruins others. Personally, I water most of my overstrength whiskies, but I seem to be in a minority on this board...

karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby karlejnar » Fri May 19, 2006 3:03 pm

Welcome to the forum elli and Skauge :D

Bunnahabhain 12yo is a nice easy-drinking malt with some fruity and flowery notes.

And it's one of the few that have survived being open for 4½ years :shock:

I once did a HTH tasting of an almost empty bottle - open for 4½ years - and a newly opened one. Almost no difference at all.

The reason for it to be open for so long was, that I for a long period preferred the really peaty Islay's. Well I still do, but have most certainly opened my mind for other expressions too :P

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat May 20, 2006 12:48 pm

I really used to like the 12yo Bunny. It was not a peat monster in any way but it was a nice, sherried coastal dram with a very easy drinking character; more sessional than contemplative surely. I haven't had any in a while, however, as it hasn't been imported in quite a while. It was much older than 12yo as the distillery had been mothballed for some time. Burn Stewart has it up and running again but I still think they have older and too young stocks at the moment, unless they've bought up some casks.

Harry

Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sun May 21, 2006 5:08 pm

Ahh... Bunnahabhain 12 yo OB... It's one of my favourite 'everyday' drams. Here are a short note of mine on this splendid dram:

Nose: A fresh and sweet aroma, flowers and perhaps a touch of peach. Hints of wood, vanilla and almond.

Palate: Medium body, slightly sharp. Fresh first taste, almost like menthol. Sprinkles of salt and just a hint of peat.

Finish: Quite strong with almond and licorice, that lingers for a long time.

I usually keep one bottle at home... Kind of the week-day whisky. The most underrated of the Islay's. Goes with everything!!!

elli

Postby elli » Sun May 21, 2006 7:38 pm

after the interesting replies, I am looking forward to opening that bottle, I will post my views on the bunnahabain thanks

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 2:27 am

It's been a long time since I had a Bunny. It's one I tend to dismiss as not very interesting. I try regularly to have something I've dismissed, just to see if I've been unfair. I tried to order a Bunny at the Pub Thomas Dunn in Quebec City the other night. It was on the menu, but unavailable. :( Will try one next chance I get.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”