Where to order online

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Where to order online

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Mon May 15, 2006 11:16 pm

Hi All,
I'm looking for a place to order scotch online. I live in the states, Montana which is not exactly the scotch capital of the world, locally the selection is limiting and expensive.
Anyway, the last two places I was ordering from have stop shipping spirits.
The last two places I ordered from had some pretty good prices, particularly on Laphroaig. Some online places are kind of expensive so I'm looking to find a good inexpensive place to order from again.
Any suggestions ?

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Tue May 16, 2006 2:04 am

You could try the Whisky Shop in San Francisco, I've ordered from them before and all was OK. Not sure of the exact address but if you do a google search with Hector Russel in the search you'll find it.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 16, 2006 2:08 am

I don't know in the States, which is what I assume you are looking for. The one British shop I know that will ship to the US is Loch Fyne Whiskies. Good prices for the UK, and the shipping cost is offset by not paying VAT if you're buying top shelf stuff. Do be sure to read their caveats on shipping to the US--it's kind of a gray area.

For everyday malts, I have no idea. Someone here will!

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Tue May 16, 2006 2:15 am

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 16, 2006 2:49 am

From their website:

Delivery Areas

The Whisky Shop can ship to all areas of the United States except the following States:

Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Maryland
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Utah
Vermont

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue May 16, 2006 3:10 am

I've had very good luck with D&M in San Francisco (ask for Mark) and Binny's in Chicago (ask for Brett). Both are very knowledgeable and helpful.

K&L in California seems to have a very nice selection as well.

S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Where to buy

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Tue May 16, 2006 5:20 am

JohnyyGuitar:

You should definitely check with The Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, CA. Go to http://www.wineandliquordepot.com; they have a toll-free number. Check out their listings on the left column; you will be surprised (very pleasantly!) by the incredible selection as well as the pricing. Ask for Howard; he will take very good care of you. He does ship to Montana the last time I checked. Happy hunting!

Slainte mhor!

S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Where to buy...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Tue May 16, 2006 5:33 am

That should read http://www.wineandliquordepot.com

S'tan

JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

cool

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Tue May 16, 2006 6:55 pm

Thanks guys,
I'm checking those places out now.........
It seems that who can ship what to who and where is pretty confussing, I will come across to differenet places in the same state and one will ship to my state but the other won't.
At one point I was ordering from a place in New York City, on about my 3rd order they suddenly informed me that they don't ship out of state. Now my most recent place has susepended spirit shipping....go figure...., to bad they both had great prices depending on what you were looking for.

If anyone knows of any other places please post them.................

PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Re: Where to buy

Postby PuckJunkie » Thu May 25, 2006 7:47 pm

S_tan_De_mon wrote:JohnyyGuitar:

You should definitely check with The Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, CA. Go to http://www.wineandliquordepot.com; they have a toll-free number. Check out their listings on the left column; you will be surprised (very pleasantly!) by the incredible selection as well as the pricing. Ask for Howard; he will take very good care of you. He does ship to Montana the last time I checked. Happy hunting!

Slainte mhor!

I checked out both the sites listed in this thread and wound up ordering from W&L Depot. I just thought I'd share my experience with this store. The cons:

1) Their web page is out of date and isn't accurate in inventory or price, as well as being a little strangely organized and laced with the occasional broken link. I found six Port Ellens, made my decision, and found that only one of the ones listed were in stock - but three others were there as well. The price on the one listed was $20 US higher than the web page.

2) They shipped it to me without the box. I like to display the bottles in front of the original box, although it's not a dealbreaker it was annoying.

3) You can't just order from the site, although you could send an e-mail with your order information. I ordered over the phone.

4) They're not open late (closing at 6 pm their time).

The pros, though:

1) Howard is indeed both knowledgeable and helpful, returning phone calls promptly and knowing exactly what I was looking for.

2) They have a nice array of whisky. I can't find Port Ellen anywhere here, so a selection of several bottles was a pleasant surprise - and he did mention they had others at a higher price range.

3) Their prices are lower than any liquor store here in Dallas.

4) They shipped out the bottle immediately, and their shipping charges are fair (but not low).

I'd be interested to know what anybody else's experience is with them or other stores - even those not based in the U.S. I've been looking at some U.K.-based stores, just because there are a few releases I'm interested in that aren't carried here, or at least that I haven't been able to find here (specifically Ardbeg Very Young and Still Young). Some of the U.K. sites ship to the States, but shipping is absurd.

Puck

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 25, 2006 9:08 pm

Hi there Puckjunkie and everyone else,
I have shipped bottles to many different countries, but yes, I will agree that shipping to The States IS expensive!

Just to give you a typical idea of what it costs for a package from Germany to the USA:

Post Paket (Packet as opposed to SMALL packet - Päckchen)
Air Freight up to 5kg weight (generally up to 2 bottles),
With Insurance,
€48

Without the insurance, it is possible to send as "Land" (OK, so they fly over the pond), delivery can take up to 4-6 weeks to the USA and costs €32

I guess most sellers add a couple of Euros to cover packaging, but not much more. So yes, I agree it is expensive, but that is the cost.
If you look at the "Small Packet (Päckchen)" option, then there is no tracking and no insurance for a cost of just under €26 by Air. But this is most certainly only 1 bottle.

To compare, my experience of shipping from the UK is more expensive and generally costs around 10 GBP per bottle just withing the EU from UK to Germany.

I will also say that I have personally bought from The Whisky Exchange and Loch Fyne and both offer excellent service, certainly within Europe.

Regards,
WH

PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby PuckJunkie » Thu May 25, 2006 9:22 pm

Just checking out Loch Fyne, they had this disclaimer on their site (emphasis added):
For single bottles there is a free passage of spirits, they ignore small packages as described above, very occasionally they will require duty payment. Texas will destroy the goods immediately. *United States customers take note. Our best advice is NOT to ship to the US, however we do it several times every day!.

Ouch! Remind me to ship to someone in another state!

Puck

Return to “Whisky Tastings”