Newby

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
NightStix

Newby

Postby NightStix » Mon May 08, 2006 3:44 am

I recently celebrated my anniversary and took the wife to a nice restuarant. I was sitting at the bar and figured I would treat myself to a drink. I saw The Macallans 25y and ordered a glass. I have been slowing moving into drinking scotch, was turned onto it by a friend, and I've had a few bottles of Glenlivet (unk. year). However when I had the glass of Macallans I was blown away and have been trying to get myself a bottle of it.

Well once I tracked it down, I figured that I would take things a little slower then jumping right in and buying the Macallans 25y. I've been reading through this site for literally hours and have learned alot thus far, with more still to learn.

I was wondering what differences there are between Macallans 25y/ 18y & 12y as far as tastes. I'm looking to pick some up tomorrow and "broaden" my spectrum and was thinking of getting something along the lines of....

Highland Park 12
Talisker 10
Glenmorangie 10
and 1 of the Macallans

As I stated I was very impressed with Macallans 25y. It didnt even compare to what Ive had before. I didnt ruin it by jumping too far ahead did I :roll: I also dont want to break the bank too bad, although Ive been reading and that it seems that Macallans has been "price gouging", and that their prices have gone up tremendously.

Thanks for your input.

Miandi

Postby Miandi » Mon May 08, 2006 4:13 am

Welcome to the forum. If you want to start out and not break your wallet, the Highland Park 12 is very affordable and an excellent choice. The Glenmorangie 10 is also a good choice. You might find the Talisker a bit powerful if you're not used to a peaty malt. You should try it if you have a chance to sample it though.

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Mon May 08, 2006 6:27 am

I would suggest:
1)Balvenie 15 Yrs Single Barrel

2)Macallan 15 Yrs Fine Oak
( arguably Fine Oak's top whisky and more affordable than 25 Yrs)

and finally,once you are used to Highland Park 12 Yrs :
3)Highland Park 18 Yrs

Happy hunting :wink:

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Mon May 08, 2006 8:30 am

Hello NightStix

Welcome to the forum - I'm sure you will soon get a load of suggestions from the always talkative crowd of whiskylovers that gathers here :D

As for you questions, I'm not much of an Macallan connoisseur, so will leave that to others.

I think your suggestions for broadening your horizon is actually quite good; three distinctive styles and all three quite affordable.

As you love Macallan, you could consider other sherried whiskies that retails at somewhat more reasonable prices; Glenfarclas 21yo & 25yo is quite affordable for their age - Aberlour A'bunadh could also be a good experience for you I think.

Cheers
Jan

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon May 08, 2006 10:53 am

I would go for the Macallan 12yo sherry wood, and then move onto the 18yo sherry wood. I'm no Macallan expert, but I think they are generally good but generally overpriced.

I've not had the pleasure of the 25yo Macallan OB, but it sounds to me like sherried Macallan's are your bag and I would explore them and their counterparts from other distilleries first.

Beware the occasion may have amplified the pleasure of that dram. It is a very expensive whisky for a 25yo OB.

Other easy to get good sherried whiskies to try:

Glenfarclas 15yo and 21yo
Aberlour a’bunadh

(Just noticed Jan's post is very similar to mine :) - I wrote mine before reading other responses)

NightStix

Postby NightStix » Mon May 08, 2006 6:43 pm

You guys are great, I'm on my way to "browse" local shops and see what calling my name. I'll post later on.

Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon May 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Hi NightStix:
Welcome to the forum. Something to rival the Macallan 25 that is somewhat less expensive, might want to try Bruichladich 15yo. One of the altime best deals has to be Dalwhinnie 15 yo. I'd say that you definately can not go wrong with either, they are both underpriced classics. :wink:

NightStix

Postby NightStix » Mon May 08, 2006 11:45 pm

After stopping by a few stores I finally settled on these three.....

Macallan 12yo sherry wood

Aberlour a’bunadh

Glenmorangie 12yo Sherry
(tried 3 different stores, couldnt find Glenfarclas)

Thanks for the input guys. Time to open one up soon.

rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 pm

Good choices! I'm a Glenfarclas fan and recommend you keep an eye out for one of their bottles.

Just out of curiosity, what batch # of the A'bunadh did you purchase?

Cheers,
Ron

NightStix

Postby NightStix » Tue May 09, 2006 12:39 am

I got Batch# 16, I saw the 13 there as well. It was kinda oushed to the front and behind it was the 2 #16's. They were a tad more than the #13 so I went with them. I'm still looking for the Glenfarclas as well. Ive noticed that the shops in my area have a rather small selection to choose from which I found very dissappointing.

Was I lucky in the #16 or should I have gotten the #13???

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue May 09, 2006 1:24 am

You made some very good choices...but if the budget's available, I would go back and get the Batch #13...that way, you'll be able to compare the two.

Mark

NightStix

Postby NightStix » Tue May 09, 2006 3:30 am

Ok

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 09, 2006 4:39 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the batch # of a'bunadh you got, NightStix. I think you'll find the difference between batches is subtle at best, and unless you decide you are an a'bunadh freak (and there are some here!), you're probably better off to keep trying other different things.

Glenfarclas availability is very spotty in the States for some reason. Even when I can find some, I can only find one or two expressions. It may well not be available at all where you are.

GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby GreyArea » Thu May 11, 2006 1:29 pm

Also give the Balvenie 10yo Founder's Reserve and the Balvenie Doublewood a try. Try the Founder's first if possible, because IMHO the Doublewood is better. They're both damn good though.

pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby pouranother » Fri May 12, 2006 3:46 am

If you really want to "broaden" your spectrum, try an Islay malt. Laphroaig 10 is an excellent place to start.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Fri May 12, 2006 7:15 am

Excellent suggestion, Laphroaig 10 is one of the classics.

YK23

Postby YK23 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:20 am

For something different:
Auchentoshan Three Wood - sherried lowlander
Caol Ila Cask Strength - good start from islay

NightStix

Postby NightStix » Tue May 16, 2006 11:35 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I was finally able to find Glenfarclas 21yo. I must admit, that I liked it A LOT!!! Too bad the wife was with me and became a little upset when she saw the price. Oh well, I got it anyways, it didnt bother me too much. I had pay day coming up.

Again thanks for the help guys!

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue May 16, 2006 11:49 pm

NightStix wrote:Thanks for the tips guys. I was finally able to find Glenfarclas 21yo. I must admit, that I liked it A LOT!!!
Again thanks for the help guys!

Great to see you liked the Glenfarclas 21 - I have yet to try it because it isn't available here but hopefully I'll get hold of a bottle somehow!
Too bad the wife was with me and became a little upset when she saw the price. Oh well, I got it anyways, it didnt bother me too much. I had pay day coming up.

.......I don't give away the price to my better half but I did suggest that she should buy something for herself when she complained about her lack of hobby. She came up with the idea of buying a new pair of shoes every time I come home with a new bottle. Initially that seemed like a good idea but I don't want her to turn into an Imelda Marcos.....

Christian

Return to “Whisky Tastings”