Need some advice....please.

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Need some advice....please.

Postby Les Paul » Fri May 05, 2006 10:08 pm

Hello friends:

I bought Michael Jackson's Guide to Scotch Whisky with all the reviews. I love the book.

I was hoping I could get a few suggestions.

I'm looking for a SM Scotch that is a bit sherried (not as much as the Macs)....that have strong honey and caramel flavors, and a maybe a touch of salt/iodine.

What are your suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sat May 06, 2006 3:30 am

Not the usual combo, but here goes:

Scapa 12 & 14
Highland Park 18
Oban 14
Bunnahabhain 12
Bruichladdich 10
Clynelish 14

These might fit the profile you described to some degree. I don't find iodine in much non South Islays, but the malts above are in the general area.

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat May 06, 2006 5:58 am

Hi Les Paul

How about Balvenie 12yo Doublewood. Sherry influence & honey, but no salt/iodine that I have ever detected.

A very nice and affordable dram...

Cheers
Jan

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Re: Need some advice....please.

Postby Frodo » Sat May 06, 2006 5:59 am

Les Paul wrote:I'm looking for a SM Scotch that is a bit sherried (not as much as the Macs)....that have strong honey and caramel flavors, and a maybe a touch of salt/iodine.

What are your suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Not much comes to mind when I read this. The only one I could think of was Highland Park 12 (haven't had the 18 enough to recommend). It is rather honeyed, and has some coastal flavours with a bit of smoke, but lacks the caramel you seek. Another idea might be Glenrothes which has caramel and is a bit (something like) honeyed, but lacks the smoke.

I agree with Jimidrammer that apart from the south shore Islays, iodine is hard to come across. And I like Jan's suggestion as well...

Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Sat May 06, 2006 7:53 am

You are all the best!! Thank you very much indeed!! :D :D :D 8)

Andy C

Postby Andy C » Sat May 06, 2006 1:22 pm

You should try

Aberlour
Glenlivet
Glenfarclas
and for a touch of peat Lagavulin distillers edition

YK23

maybe you should go for

Postby YK23 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:42 am

Clynelish 1994 / 11yo / Sherry Butt / 58.9% / SMS

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed May 10, 2006 4:27 am

Your best bet is some of the independent bottlings, particularly the SMWS.

A good example was the recent Bunnahabhain Cask 10.60. This was oloroso sherried, but because it was only an 8yo, it didn't have that same Macallan feel. (Mind you, it did taste like a 12yo!!).

And of course, because Bunnahabhain is right on the water, it had some of that coastal feel to it too. And the sherry gorda did impart some of the caramel notes you're looking for too.

Cheers,
Admiral

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Wed May 10, 2006 6:03 am

I would go for:

Balvenie 15 Yrs Single Barrel
Highland Park 18 Yrs
Glenfarclas 21 Yrs

GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby GreyArea » Thu May 11, 2006 1:25 pm

Jan wrote:Hi Les Paul

How about Balvenie 12yo Doublewood. Sherry influence & honey, but no salt/iodine that I have ever detected.

Cheers
Jan

I think the Doublewood might not be what he's after, as it's very sherried. I'd go for the Founder's Reserve (standard 10yo).

Also the Balblair 16yo. Tried this recently and it's rather good. Not great, but still pretty good.

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri May 12, 2006 9:47 pm

GreyArea wrote:
Jan wrote:Hi Les Paul

Cheers
Jan

I think the Doublewood might not be what he's after, as it's very sherried. I'd go for the Founder's Reserve (standard 10yo).

Also the Balblair 16yo. Tried this recently and it's rather good. Not great, but still pretty good.

You really think so? I must admit that while, yes, there is quite some sherry influence there, I do not categorise the DW as a heavily sherried malt :shock:

But different tastebuds and all that - guess that the very fact, that you get input from a lot of sources, is one of the reasons why this forum is so useful. :D

Cheers
Jan

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 14, 2006 5:28 am

I agree with you, Jan--I think the DW is rather lightly sherried. The novice taster won't find it to be radically different from the 10, I think.

Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sun May 14, 2006 6:46 pm

I would recommend the Auchentoshan Three Wood.

Creamy, honey and malt. A delicate sherryflavor that doesn't kill all other tastes. Quite malty.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”