Help Wanted (Next Purchase)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Help Wanted (Next Purchase)

Postby pouranother » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:38 pm

I am new to whisky and my current stock ,and budget, modest. I have what seems to be a quintessential "starter" set;

Balvenie DW
Highland Park 12
Macallan 12
Laphroaig 10

Laphroaig is far and away my favorite, I'm planning on making another purchase and have narrowed it down to a few choices;

Talisker 10
Laphroaig CS or QC

I would appreciate any input.

I also need help putting down the bottle of Laphroaig. :)

Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Out of the last two, I would choose the Talisker because it would broaden the taste spectrum.

However it may be wise to try a Lowlander, ie Auchentoshan as this way open your palate ready for the big Laphraoig CS's etc

lambda
Bronze Member

Postby lambda » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:18 pm

You should tell us what your aim is. If you would like to get to know more types of whisky, I can agree with Scotty Mc. But I'm sure you will enjoy the laphroaig CS or QC much more than an Auchtentoshan..

Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:30 pm

lambda wrote: But I'm sure you will enjoy the laphroaig CS or QC much more than an Auchtentoshan..

No doubt about it! :lol: When I first started it was HP 12yo and I found it to be too powerful so I started properly on the sweeter whiskies, got the taste then experimented with the HP again (lovely stuff) and the CS's etc.

I find that the Laphroaig CS blows my face off everytime :D

pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby pouranother » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:35 pm

I really like the smokey finish to the Laphroaig, so what I am trying to accomplish on this purchase is broaden my depth of that style of whisky. The Talisker has gotten rave reviews and seems to be inline with what I am trying to do, but I really do like the Laphroaig 10 and would like to compare the CS and QC.

My next purchase, after this one, will probably be something different.

lambda
Bronze Member

Postby lambda » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:51 pm

Like Scotty said, the CS is more the extreme and the QC is another interesting (and very good) variation, but I feel that these laphroaigs are all quite similar.

The talisker 10 is really a lot less smoky than a laphroaig, so maybe not what you are looking for.

If you like to try some other smoky whisky (but different from the laphroaig), then an Ardbeg 10 or Caol Ila 12 would be a good choice.

pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby pouranother » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:20 pm

So, the suggestion would be to try the Ardbeg 10 to fill the smoky finish choice and then perhaps the Talisker to fill the "something different" choice on the next purchase.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:08 pm

pouranother wrote:I really like the smokey finish to the Laphroaig, so what I am trying to accomplish on this purchase is broaden my depth of that style of whisky. The Talisker has gotten rave reviews and seems to be inline with what I am trying to do, but I really do like the Laphroaig 10 and would like to compare the CS and QC.

My next purchase, after this one, will probably be something different.

One approach might be to get to know the Laphroaig better by comparing different expressions. In that case, I don't think you could go wrong with trying the QC and the CS, and if the CS is too potent you could always water it down. I'm thinking that if you're on a budget, Laphroaig is rather wallet friendly.

On the other hand, if you want to try other peaty numbers, I would suggest Ardbeg or Lagavulin. Lagavulin is rather expensive, but you can get an 8yr old cheapy version from Dun Bheagan bottlers called "Dun Bheagan Islay 8yr". The Laga 12yr CS has a lot of fans on this board, but is really expensive, and the 16yr is expensive ($95 cdn up here) and is a more elegent dram - less full on peat, with some sherry casking going on in the vatting.

Talisker is also a good choice, but I might be a little concerned that it may be a step back in peatyness from what you've had before in the Laphroaig. It's been a while since I've had Talisker though.

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:37 pm

pouranother wrote:So, the suggestion would be to try the Ardbeg 10 to fill the smoky finish choice and then perhaps the Talisker to fill the "something different" choice on the next purchase.

YES!!! The Ardbeg is of the same style, but in a different flavor direction, if that makes sense. The Laphroaig C/S is intense, but very good. The Talisker 10 takes a little time to aquire a taste for, IMHO. Now, the Talisker 18 is special, although not AS smoky. So I'd say try the Ardbeg, any Ardbeg, actually. Then all the Laphroaigs including the misunderstood 15yo. And tell me how you like the Quarter Cask, it's still not shown up here, yet. :(

Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Nock » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:26 am

My advice (for what it's worth) is to first go out and buy the Laphroaig CS :twisted: This is one of the best whiskies I have tried (albeit not as long a list as many on this forum).

I personally like Ardbeg 10yo much better then the standard Laphroaig 10yo, so I would also encourage you to get that.

But then I also really like the Talisker 10yo. It is not as smoky as the Islay malts, but it is really peppery with healthy amounts of peat. I always like to have an open bottle around (next two at least two open Islay bottles :wink: ).

My suggestion is this: life is short. If you find something you like, explore it more. You will never be disappointed or regret drinking something you like.

Nock

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:49 am

I'll throw my vote to Talisker, absolutely. It's a step down from the big Islays in smoke, but that's a niche you haven't filled yet. Talisker is a malt that everyone should try sooner rather than later. Plenty of time for Lagavulin, Ardbeg, and the other Laphroaigs later on.

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:23 am

Buy them all. You will in the end anyway (Ardbeg 10, Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16yo, Laphroaig CS and QC).

Personally I found the Talisker, Ardbeg and Lagavulin were the ones that made the biggest impact on me, when I first tried them.

You'll never forget that first Lagavulin 16yo.

toshie
Bronze Member

Postby toshie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:35 am

I agree with Bamber: the Lagavulin 16 is a life-changing experience. Of my current stock, the Laphroaig QC is my favourite. It's sweet peat with a very pungent, room-filling aroma. It's like walking over railway sleepers on a hot summer's day.

parvus
Silver Member

Postby parvus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:45 am

bamber wrote:You'll never forget that first Lagavulin 16yo.

I've only had one dram of it, but I wasn't all that impressed with the Lagavulin 16. It was nice and all, and I guess I should try it again, but I was fairly underwhelmed given its stature on these forums and in reviews.

If I get a bottle and I don't like it, i'll blame you. Maybe other people also.

Stop making me buy things.

Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:02 am

I thought it was ok, much prefer the 12yo though 8)

pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby pouranother » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:29 am

So, now the suggestion is "buy them all"? That's the best suggestion of all.

I don't know what's worse, waiting till payday to buy malts or waiting for the birth of my children. If only I would have know about whisky then, would have made my life a lot easier. :lol:

irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:37 am

Deffo them all but if only able to get one on this pay day.....

I would suggest going for Talisker 10 too.... As said before it is not as smokey but has enough but there to keep you happy and there is also some great spicey/pepperiness which is wonderful...

Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:26 pm

I'd vote for the Ardbeg 10, it's a treat and shows another side to the "Islay" character than the Laphroaig 10.

And Talisker, being part of the classic malts series is fairly common stock in many bars & restaurants. You have a good chance to find it & try a glass of it somewhere before buying a bottle. That way if you don't care for it, you wont have to spend the $$ for a full bottle.

Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:30 pm

One more thing to keep in mind is that we're heading into warmer weather, and some of the heavier, smokier malts may not be best suited for warm spring/summer days.

You may want to think about something lighter to add to the colection. This could either be a lowlander, or my suggestion would be a good Irish Whiskey. I recently got a bottle of Redbreast 12 and found it to be really great, light, yet flavorful.

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:17 pm

parvus wrote:

I've only had one dram of it, but I wasn't all that impressed with the Lagavulin 16. It was nice and all, and I guess I should try it again, but I was fairly underwhelmed given its stature on these forums and in reviews.

If I get a bottle and I don't like it, i'll blame you. Maybe other people also.

You need a full bottle. Buy it quickly.

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:14 pm

bamber wrote:
parvus wrote:

I've only had one dram of .........Lagavulin 16. .......

Is it going off the market or something?

I tried it in Glasgow and found it to be quite Leathery (do ye concur) but pleasing so have being meaning to buy a bottle.

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:50 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
bamber wrote:
parvus wrote:[quote="bamber"]You'll never forget that first Lagavulin 16yo.

I've only had one dram of .........Lagavulin 16. .......

Is it going off the market or something?

I tried it in Glasgow and found it to be quite Leathery (do ye concur) but pleasing so have being meaning to buy a bottle.[/quote]

It's not as widely available as once was, as the distillery was only operating two days a week 16 years ago. I think there's more on the shelves these days than there was a year or so ago.

One of the finest whiskies there is, in my opinion. Beautufully rich.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

What to buy...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:17 pm

Choochoo wrote:One more thing to keep in mind is that we're heading into warmer weather, and some of the heavier, smokier malts may not be best suited for warm spring/summer days.

We had snow yesterday morning. :shock: Still need the heavier guns here.

I would scoop up a Laphroaig Quarter cask if it was a consideration for you, pouranother. A lovely young Iliach to sample and own. Since you have more liberal import rules than we, you can slowly build up a fine selection over the years, so take your time, do some tastings where available. Maybe start your own Usquebach tasting group with like-minded friends to spread out the costs. Musky Pete

pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby pouranother » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:21 am

Thanks alot guys, I drove all over my area looking for the Ardbeg 10, and couldn't find it. My daughter was mad at me, because by the time I got home empty handed, I forgot her ice cream. Oh! well, their is still a few spirits shoppes left, I just can't forget the ice cream again :lol:

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 am

Hey pouranother! Don't give up! Keep hunting for the Ardbeg Ten, it's worth it! It's where I started my whisky passion. From one smell one evening to my craze of today. I'll alwasy stock a bottle of this special stuff, like nothing else really. But good luck to you once you get hooked!

pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby pouranother » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:14 am

Is there a problem getting Ardbeg Ten? I had to order a bottle, there is only 2 in all of eastern Pa. USA. I this a Pa. issue or a USA issue.

Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:12 pm

There's a good amount of Ardbeg 10 in CT and other New England states.

smokey

Postby smokey » Tue May 09, 2006 12:37 am

Just to chime in, I think all of those, (Ardbeg 10 (or any other) Laphroaig 10cs or 1/4cask) would be my recommendation. If you like the standard Laphroaig 10, then either of the others will be a treat. I no longer drink the standard 10, because it just seems to tame after the others.

BUT....recently I stumbled accross the Talisker 10 in the grey carton. It's 50ml less and a couple yen more, but if you can find it...I'd say pick that up. The difference between it and the blue box 10 year surprised me.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”