The End of the Affair

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
rthomson
Silver Member

The End of the Affair

Postby rthomson » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:48 am

"Sentimentality is unearned emotion" is an oft-repeated Joyce quote. Nonetheless, I've had a couple of bottles I've been sorry to see empty. A while ago I finished a Ledaig which I had shared with a couple of friends. The fond memories associated with it resulted in my being sorry to see it go. More recently, I saw the last few drops of the Bruichladdich Valinch Tongan Rum Cask fall into my dram; it was a lovely whisky. The Ledaig is likely still available but I doubt I'll come across that Valinch again.

Are there bottles you've truly been sorry to see finished?

Ron

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:11 am

Hi Ron ,
The Tonga Valinch is still available at the Distillery , i'm in two minds as to give Mary a ring and get another one put aside as it's pretty good stuff.
Given your location , is there anyone you know going to the island shortly that could get it to you ?
Slainté
Gordon

Deactivated Member

Re: The End of the Affair

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:34 am

rthomson wrote: A while ago I finished a Ledaig .......... The fond memories associated with it resulted in my being sorry to see it go.

Ron

AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll send you some sherry finish. That 'll sort you out :lol:

Really miss my Blablair 38. Must must must get another before it runs out.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:55 pm

Have I been sad to see some go? Absolutely! Some old Ardbegs and Broras had me welling up a bit at the end though I've since found some pubs which have some so I can get an (expensive) dram of them once in a while still.

I have been working on a three bottle rule lately, though I have 6 of one that no one else wanted (I love it so I'm not complaining so far!). With three bottles I find by the end of the second I have had enough of even really stellar drams for a while so I can save the third for a later date, hopefully. Yet there are drams which I want to have on my shelf always and here in Ontario where special ones only come by once in a while, those are the ones I wished I'd squirreled away a case so now I do when I can on ones that really, really call to me. I just have to realize that before it is too late and it is already sold out.

There are happy surprises here and there. I thought I'd seen the last of Ardbeg 17yo so when another bottle became available, I jumped at the chance. It is funny because bottlings run out of limited runs and I think they're gone but often there is a retailer somewhere who bought up many cases and couldn't move them in that market. These days the word gets out more easily and we make our efforts to distribute them when needed.

A follow up question: are there any bottles you were sad to see finished but then after you got another bottle you were not as impressed as you were with the first one? I've had that happen as well and usually from the same stock run so I know it is me that changed, not the whisky.

Harry

Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:57 pm

Every bottle I finish!

I find it very sad to finish off an expensive bottle because I then only have to replace it.

I even felt sad when I finished a bottle of Auchentoshan Select :roll:

rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:Hi Ron ,
The Tonga Valinch is still available at the Distillery , i'm in two minds as to give Mary a ring and get another one put aside as it's pretty good stuff.
Given your location , is there anyone you know going to the island shortly that could get it to you ?
Slainté
Gordon

That reminds me, a few months ago some arrangements for Mary to set aside a bottle of a different Valinch were attempted. If she could do it the bottle would have to wait until next October. I never found out if she was able to do it and I should check into that.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tonga Valinch!

Cheers,
Ron

rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:26 pm

hpulley wrote:
A follow up question: are there any bottles you were sad to see finished but then after you got another bottle you were not as impressed as you were with the first one? I've had that happen as well and usually from the same stock run so I know it is me that changed, not the whisky.

Harry

Now that would be a good question if I can get my hands on a second Tonga Valinch. I had assumed the cask had been long empty and it was not to be had again. That certainly could have influenced my reaction to it.

Ron

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:09 pm

rthomson wrote:That reminds me, a few months ago some arrangements for Mary to set aside a bottle of a different Valinch were attempted. If she could do it the bottle would have to wait until next October. I never found out if she was able to do it and I should check into that.

:oops: :roll: :oops:

A thought I've had about both the Tonga Valinch and the other one we were talking about is that both have been in their casks--presumably the finishing casks--for considerably longer than they had been when we were there. I would expect each to be quite different!

Shall I email Mary, Ron? One of each? (we had been trying to arrange to have her fill them at a time when we could watch it being done on the webcam--it got complicated and then I got distracted.)

If you have read my "What shall I open?" thread, you will perhaps recall that I have opened four of a proposed five bottles. I shall now open the first of my two bottles of the Tonga Valinch! :P :P :P

And to answer the original question--oh yes, all the time. I know very well that I will never replace many bottles. And in fact, this sorrow anticipated is why I sometimes find it difficult to open many bottles--to open it is to doom it. What a melancholy hobby!

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:46 pm

rthomson wrote:
That reminds me, a few months ago some arrangements for Mary to set aside a bottle of a different Valinch were attempted. If she could do it the bottle would have to wait until next October. I never found out if she was able to do it and I should check into that.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tonga Valinch!

Cheers,
Ron

Mary puts one of each aside for me from each valinch , the only difference is now you have to pay in advance because people were asking for them to be kept then didn't collect them (hence at last years festival there was a sell off of some of the older one ).
Slainté
Gordon

Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:46 pm

Most bottles!

But a few years ago I finished a bottle of Adelphi single cask/cask strength Clynelish which I was very, very sorry to see the bottom of the bottle.

Cheers

Paul

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:59 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:Most bottles!

But a few years ago I finished a bottle of Adelphi single cask/cask strength Clynelish which I was very, very sorry to see the bottom of the bottle.

I hear that...I'm only two drams into my bottle of Cadeheads Clynelish, and I'm already sorry. Wish I'd bought the cask!

Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:54 am

Yea, it's always sad to empty any of my bottles, cause they're all special! My latest one emptied was Suntory 12y. It's not available here in Norway so who knows when, if ever, I'll get another bottle. But it's rather bittersweet as well, as the memories of long lost friends are ours for keeps.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”