Need adviceplz !!!!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
annaprest2384

Need adviceplz !!!!

Postby annaprest2384 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:42 am

Hi wondered if anyone could help me, its my dads 50th birthday next week, and he likes whiskey but i havent got a clue what would make a good gift. im going to go to the whiskey shop in lincoln, i would like something that is special as its a specail day for him,
thankyou anna

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:57 am

Anna - what kind of whiskey does he like? Would it be malt whisky or bourbon, or something else?

parvus
Silver Member

Postby parvus » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:08 am

Hello Anna,

As cheap as it sounds, the best starting point would be to give us an indication of how much you're willing to spend. Based on not knowing how much you have to spend, i'll give you a few whiskies on my wish list to give you an idea or two perhaps:

Highland Park 25
Glenfarclas 21 or 25
Ardbeg Lord of the Isles
Bruichladdich 20
St. Magdelene (any bottling)
Banff (as above)
Benriach 1988 Sherry or 1970 / 1975 single cask
Port Ellen (any annual release)
Strathisla 1968 Signatory or Gordon & MacPhail 40 Year old

The above bottles are all likely to cause some sort of discomfort to your bank account, but I don't think there would be anyone who would be disappointed to get something from the above.

Does he have a favorite brand, or a set of whiskies that he regularly enjoies?

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:29 pm

Anna, the above selections are very good. My suggestion would be to sneak a look at what he has now...and go a level or two up in age or price.

Where are you located?

Mark

ScotchBlog
Bronze Member

Postby ScotchBlog » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:25 pm

Since Anna said "whiskey" I'm going to be literal and assume the man likes Bourbon.

Go to the liquor shop and pick out the most expensive bourbon you can afford - Your dad will love it.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:39 pm

I am always amazed at the recommendations people offer for gifts - I'm afraid my friends and family and I are far more parsomonious with our gifts! If my father drank (which he doesn't), he'd probably get a bottle of Benriach - and a Talisker 10 for a very special anniversary.

Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:16 pm

ScotchBlog wrote:Since Anna said "whiskey" I'm going to be literal and assume the man likes Bourbon.

Go to the liquor shop and pick out the most expensive bourbon you can afford - Your dad will love it.

Well just because she spelled it "whiskey" doesn't necessarily mean bourbon. It could be Irish whiskey to.

parvus
Silver Member

Postby parvus » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I am always amazed at the recommendations people offer for gifts - I'm afraid my friends and family and I are far more parsomonious with our gifts! If my father drank (which he doesn't), he'd probably get a bottle of Benriach - and a Talisker 10 for a very special anniversary.

Granted, my list is rather extravagant and pricey, but how often does one turn 50? I'd like to think that a celebration of a special person should be celebrated with an equally special dram.

For regular birthdays, you certainly wouldn't go wrong with something a tad more wallet (frodo) friendly.

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:00 pm

Hi Anna

If you're not sure of your fathers tastes, I would avoid Ardbeg, Port Ellen and other heavily peated Islay whiskies. While they are generally well-liked here on the forums, (and not bad suggestions) your father could be one of the many whisky lovers that do not enjoy the most smoky whiskies.

The suggestions of Parvus is good, but I will agree with other posters that some of them are rather pricey.

If you are looking for a gift in a lower priceclass a Highland Park 18yo (appro. £53) will probably be appreciated by your father.

Cheers
Jan

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:40 pm

Hi Anna:

Before I make a recommendation, I'd like to know (a) where you are located, (b) what your price range is, and (c) what whiskies your father likes drinking.

I believe your info says you're from Grimsby. If that's Grimsby Ontario, we can help figure out something from the LCBO in conjunction with your price range.

It would help if you could tell us what your father drinks regularly, what he consideres "special occasion" whisky, and what he has in his liqour cabinet. Any ideas what he orders when he has a nice dinner out?

My apologies if my queries are too...forward. I figure if I don't have a handle on what your father likes, I don't believe I can make a useful recomendation.

Cheers.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:04 pm

I assume UK, since I can find both Grimsby and Lincoln on the OS Travelmaster 5.

I second the notion that you find out what he usually drinks and go up a step in age, or possibly find an unusual independent bottling from his favorite distillery. Take a list of his likes to the shop and tell them how much you'd like to spend.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”