Cask-strength sherry bombs?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
bscepter

Cask-strength sherry bombs?

Postby bscepter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:53 pm

this summer, i toured the balvenie distillery, where i got to "dip the dog" and bottle my own 200ml bottle of whisky right from the cask. of the three options presented, i chose a 12-year-old that had spent its life in a sherry butt. and it was absolutely glorious (and now, sadly, gone).

the only thing i've had back home that comes close is the aberlour a'bunadh (batch 46). and i really like that too. but are there any others that i should be trying? the glenfarclas 105, for instance?

either way, i'd like to keep it under $100, if i can.

bscepter

Re: Cask-strength sherry bombs?

Postby bscepter » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:37 pm

jmrl wrote:Pretty much any Glendronach - the business.

i'll have to check out their cask-strength. thanks!

bscepter

Postby bscepter » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:39 pm

though, judging by its price history, it might be a wee bit out of my league. my league.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-312352-0001-glendronach-cask-strength-batch-single-malt-scotch-whisky-speyside-highlands-scotland

bscepter

Postby bscepter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:16 am

i picked up the aberlour 12 yo non-chill filtered today. not cask strength, but 48% ABV. i'm hoping it'll be good.

bscepter

Postby bscepter » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:59 pm

i must say i'm a bit disappointed in the aberlour 12 year old non-chill filtered. it's a nice whisky, to be sure - but i was expecting a bit more complexity. i realize that it's not a "sherry bomb," per se, but it has a pleasant enough sherry nose to it. it's just a bit... bland, i'm afraid.

next time, i'll go back to the a'bunadh. or maybe just get a glenfarclas 12, which to my nose is much more sherried.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”