Yamazaki18/Laga16/Glendronach15Rev/Clynelish14

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
qba

Yamazaki18/Laga16/Glendronach15Rev/Clynelish14

Postby qba » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:47 am

Hi,
My first post:)
I'm still wondering which one I should pick up.
Laga should be more smokey, but rest should be more sweety.
I have some questions (please give some scale):
What about quality?
What about Yama, which doesn't have cork?
What about smokey in Yama, Glendronach and Clynelish?
What about sherry in all of them?
What about sweetnes in all of them?
Where should be Yama on the flavour map, my bet is full rich (5/5) and little smokey (2/5).
And finally, which one will you pick up and why? :)
Thanks for answering.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re: Yamazaki18/Laga16/Glendronach15Rev/Clynelish14

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:48 pm

qba wrote:I'm still wondering which one I should pick up.

This very much depends on which flavour spectrum direction you want to go in.

Yamazaki 18YO: Thickly textured fruits and dried fruits. Silky oak input. Cognac-like oxidative notes. Soft strands of smokiness in the background. The finish tails off a little too rapidly for my liking.

Clynelish 14YO: Orange creamsicle-like sweetness countered by very subtle underlying notes of brine, mustard, wood and coal embers. A truly unique whisky.

GlenDronach 15YO: Loads of sherry cask imbued characteristics that highlight rather than blanket the constantly shifting malt flavours. Some have complained of lingering hints of sulphur (rubbery?), but I haven't noticed any. Leagues ahead of the old Allied releases at any rate.

Lagavulin 16YO: Pungent, layered smokiness, earthiness and malt sweetness. Black tea leaf and charred oak tannins add structure and complexity. Perhaps not quite as sweet and dense as it once was (way back in the days when some sherry oak was utilized).

I think it might be worth your while to try at least two of the four for comparison's sake.

qba

Postby qba » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks for help, last question. Is there any smokey background in GlenDronach. If yes I will decide to grab one.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:39 pm

qba wrote:Is there any smoky background in GlenDronach?

The distillery currently buys in lightly peat-reeked malt, so any apparent smokiness is much more subtle than what one would encounter in, say, many an Islay whisky. Think earthy, slightly musty, lightly charred wood and gently smoked fruits, and you won't be too far off the mark.

RobRoyal

Postby RobRoyal » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:09 pm

I'd second The Third Dram's post - very good descriptions.

Four excellent whiskies there, you can't go far wrong with any of them. I know it's dependent on where you are buying from, but in the UK the Yamazaki 18 is considerably more expensive than the other 3 and therefore doesn't give you the best value.

I have a bottle of the Glendronach 15 open at the moment, and I'll be buying a replacement soon. I'd say that there isn't a better value quality sherried whisky anywhere on the market at the moment. Leather, raisin, dark chocolate, toffee.
It took me a little time to get used to it because it's got a somewhat different profile to other well-loved sherried whiskies like Glenfarclas or Dalmore, but as time has gone on I've come to consider it an absolute classic.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:55 pm

RobRoyal wrote:...Glendronach 15... I'd say that there isn't a better value quality sherried whisky anywhere on the market at the moment...

It's really good, to be sure. But in terms of sheer bang-for-buck for a sherried Highland whisky, my vote (at this moment) would go to BenRiach 12 Year Old Matured in Sherry Wood... Lovely textural quality with loads of dried fruit richness and oak-imbued spices backed by a very clean and spirited distillate.

goalong88

Postby goalong88 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:19 am

yamazaki is really good, but different from scotch whiskies, yamazaki has prominent aromas changing by time and scotch one like melting together

Return to “Whisky Tastings”