What is your most recent (whisky) purchase.

General chat and talk about whisky.
SoMK
Gold Member

Re: What is your most recent (whisky) purchase.

Postby SoMK » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:43 am

Wheeee.. SAQ got a truck load of A'bunadh batch 15..
Picked up "a few" :smoke:

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:55 am

a wonderful bottle of george t stagg uncut/unfiltered barrel proof kentucky straight bourbon whiskey - 72.4% / 144.8 proof :angel: -

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:06 pm

Jobi wrote:
Sherried Malt wrote:Stumbled on a close-out sale of Talisker 25 (57.8% abv) going for $100. :shock:

Where, where, where, and where?

Marty's in Allston, MA. Ask for Michael. They can't ship out of state, but maybe you have friends in Boston?

Not affiliated, etc...

Good luck!

MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Bushmills Black Bush. I never had it before. Very tasty :D

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:43 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:I've never had an irish before. wondering if now's the time to get some redbreast, bushmills, tryconnell, jameson 12, or connomara. anyone ever had connomara?

which should I buy for m first taste ever into Irish?

The ones I have tried have all been very good - apart from the Clontarf Single Malt which isn't good at all.
The Jameson 12 is very good blend and it totally outdoes the scottish blended whiskies I've tried such as Chivas Regal, Famous Grouse, Johnny Walker Red etc.
The Pure Pot Still whiskies are nothing less than stunning! If you can get hold of Redbreast 12 or 15 then DO buy them - they are among the best whiskies I've ever tried and that includes Port Ellen and others. The Jameson 15 is also fantastic but difficult to get hold of.

SoMK
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:58 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:anyone ever had connomara?

Yessssss, gooooooooood. The standard one is very nice, especially without water. The Peated one is quite enjoyable ! Never tried the CS though... I'm not a great fan of Jameson but I like Redbreast 12 a lot and 15, dryer imho, even more :D

Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:27 pm

After convincing myself that I wasn't going to buy the Laga 21 since I had recently dropped 3 bills on the Port Ellen 7th, I went ahead and got it anyway, also for $300. It doesn't make intuitive sense to me that these two should cost the same, since one is from a mothballed distillery 30 years gone and the other could very well end up becoming a standard bottling. I guess 300 is what the NY market will bear for a one-off. Still, I can't help feeling a little like a puppet on a string.

But, in for a penny, in for a pound so I picked up my first George T. Stagg also.

I am headed for an enjoyable holiday season.

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:55 pm

Ordered one bottle each of Laphroaig 25yo, BenRiach 1984 vintage special release, and Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist at RMW 8)

Will pick up a Bowmore 21 and Lagavulin 25 tomorrow, which just arrived at Ton Overmars in Amsterdam..

I am quite satisfied :D

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:29 am

Stopped by the local government sanctioned bootlegger (LCBO)to see if he had any Glenlivet I don't have (in either his private stock or on the shelves). Nothing new on the shelves...HOWEVER...
new additions to the lair are:
Bowmore Mariner 15 yo and (drum roll)
Arran Napolean Cognac Cask 57.8 abv, single cask (bottle 95 of 482), bottled Sept 18, 2006
:D (back up to 160 in the Lair!)
I was so pleased with the Arran Amarone Cask that I had to pick this one up. Now, to steel myself from opening it before New Years Eve.

Muskrat

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:33 am

Di Blasi wrote:
Sherried Malt wrote:And when you least expect it...

Stumbled on a close-out sale of Talisker 25 (57.8% abv) going for $100. :shock:

Had to get two. IWHBRNT.

Whew, nice steal there Sherried Malt!!! Great whisky for an unbelievable price!!! Is it the 2006 bottling?? And smart you picked up 2!!!!!!!! I'd go back for more if I was you!!

Di Blasi, I decided to follow your very wise advice. I'm now up to 4... :o

Enabler!!! :D

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:42 am

I just bought the Classic Malts sampler pack with 200 ml bottles of Talikser 10, Caol Ila 12 and Lagavulin 16. First time I've seen this, so I figured it was a cheap way to try the Caol Ila and get some more Talisker and Lagavulin at the same time...

I'm also thinking this might be a very nice stocking stuffer for the holidays...

Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Knolly » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:21 am

Well, just returned today from Calgary Alberta and last night's Willow Park Whisky in the Warehouse event. I'm sure that there will be some more write ups on this from people who actually took pictures since there were several forum members that were there!

The "take" includes the following:

BenRiach 16 yr OB
Tullibardine 1993 John Black single cask (14 yr OB)
Bruichladdich PC6 (a couple of these - several people bought cases of course!)
Caol Ila 1995 Cask Strength (Gordon & MacPhail)
Longmorn 1973 Cask Strength (Gondon & MacPhail)
Tullibardine 1966 World Cup (there was a bit of a fire sale on the four or five of these that they had in stock once Lawrence discovered it and we tasted it!)

Amazingly, all these made it back in my suitcase which went through checked baggage - 7 bottles in one suitcase! I've got pictures of that and will post them later - the suitcase packing system worked well although it involved about a square kilometer of bubblewrap :)

Also, thanks to Lawrence for helping with some of the picks!

Cheers!

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:06 pm

Good work Sherried Malt! At that price, you could probably drink 2, and in the future sell 2 and have the first 2 paid for.

DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby DramMeister » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:40 pm

I bought an Ardbeg 10 not long ago on the premise that the whisky in there is probably much older than 10 years right now - and because it may be the last chance to get the old style Ardbeg.

Am I right in thinking this?

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:53 pm

DramMeister wrote:I bought an Ardbeg 10 not long ago on the premise that the whisky in there is probably much older than 10 years right now - and because it may be the last chance to get the old style Ardbeg.

DM, I know nothing about Ardbeg's history, so can you shed some light on why this might be the case? Was there a period where they were out of business?

Thanks in advance.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:24 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:
DramMeister wrote:I bought an Ardbeg 10 not long ago on the premise that the whisky in there is probably much older than 10 years right now - and because it may be the last chance to get the old style Ardbeg.

DM, I know nothing about Ardbeg's history, so can you shed some light on why this might be the case? Was there a period where they were out of business?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Jim Murray in his tasting in Oslo on the 1st of this month declared the Ardbeg Ten right now is nowhere near Ten years old, but quite a bit older! And therefore very much worth picking up and having. It could very well be with closures and all, but I hope Spirit of Islay will be along to confirm this. I can confirm it was very different than I remember the Ardbeg Ten, the first whisky to take my breath away. The tasting with Jim that night was blind, and I didn't recognize the Ardbeg Ten, nor did I choose it as the number 1 of the night which I'd expect to. Perhaps another taste to see just what it's all about.

peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:29 pm

I have a bottle of Ardbeg TEN from 2003 and it is far younger and spunkier tasting than the current release....smooth, creamy, friendly.

LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:01 pm

I will be travelling overseas Sunday and bought a bottle of Lagavulin 18 yrs and Laphroaig Quarter Cask to see me thru the dark and hot nights of Asia.

(If you want to ask, that will last about two nights. One dark night and one hot night... :roll: )

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:05 am

pkt77242 wrote:Today I picked up a bottle of George T Stagg. I can't wait to open it later.
For the people out there that have had it, did you add any water? Thanks

Sean

Nice one Sean! It's excellent! I've only tasted it once, the 65% or so, and it was very good. Super concentrated of course, drying and evaporating instantly the few drops I put on my tongue. I think it would definitely be okay to add water, although Mr. Jim Murray would argue with that. I wonder what you paid for it there in Arizona??

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:22 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Stopped by the local government sanctioned bootlegger (LCBO)to see if he had any Glenlivet I don't have (in either his private stock or on the shelves). Nothing new on the shelves...HOWEVER...
new additions to the lair are:
Arran Napolean Cognac Cask 57.8 abv, single cask (bottle 95 of 482), bottled Sept 18, 2006
I was so pleased with the Arran Amarone Cask that I had to pick this one up. Now, to steel myself from opening it before New Years Eve.

Muskrat

Nice ones Musky! 160, wow, I still have a long way to go ;) How is that Mariner?

I got my Lagavulin 21 and Bowmore 21 today, so that makes me happy as well :)

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:28 am

K-Mile wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:Stopped by the local ...(LCBO)to see if he had any Glenlivet ...HOWEVER...new additions to the lair are:
I was so pleased with the Arran Amarone Cask that I had to pick this one up. ....
Muskrat

Nice ones Musky! 160, wow, I still have a long way to go ;) How is that Mariner?
I got my Lagavulin 21 and Bowmore 21 today, so that makes me happy as well :)
K-Mile: Same rules apply to the Mariner as they do to the Arran, I can't open one until I've drained 10 of the opened bottles. The nice thing about the Arran is I had a choice of bottle numbers, so went for the lowest one.

A Laggy 21 and a Bowmore 21, well done, business must be picking up! You'll catch up and surpass me in no time.
Muskrat

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:50 pm

pkt77242 wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Nice one Sean! It's excellent! I've only tasted it once, the 65% or so, and it was very good. Super concentrated of course, drying and evaporating instantly the few drops I put on my tongue. I think it would definitely be okay to add water, although Mr. Jim Murray would argue with that. I wonder what you paid for it there in Arizona??

Di Blasi, I paid $47 for it. Not to bad. It is 72.4% abv. I will probably try it neat first and go from there. Thank you.

Sean

Great deal Sean! I've paid 59$, still a great deal knowing I've seen it at 99£!!! Enjoy it, let us know what you think when you do taste it.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:19 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:as said in another forum, I can purchase it for 49.99 plus 5% tax.

Fantastic to hear lawschooldrunk! Just imagine those buying it for 99£ in London like I saw it priced last year there.

Jan_M

Postby Jan_M » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:52 pm

laphroaig 10yo at an online shop for 27€.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:08 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:
lawschooldrunk wrote:as said in another forum, I can purchase it for 49.99 plus 5% tax.

Fantastic to hear lawschooldrunk! Just imagine those buying it for 99£ in London like I saw it priced last year there.

di blasi, how much is shipping to bergen?

Very thoughtful of you lawschooldrunk, thanks! But, shipping to Bergen is not nearly as expensive as the taxation of the alchohol, or narcotics! Alcohol above 60% here in Norway is "narcotic," and can only legally be dealt with and sold by a chemist. Can't really be sold by a chemist cause the government is the sole retailer really. Soon though, I hear we will be able to order whisky from abroad and get it into the country, but with a 25% tax on anything over 200NOK, and taxes on the alcohol percentage, it won't really be worth it. I did receive a nice bottle of tequila from a friend last Christmas, as a gift, and the customs slip even said, "tequila, photos," and they just handed me the box, no questions, no taxes. Either they were in the Santa mood, or didn't see it, or maybe it was my friend's honesty I was rewarded with? Anyway, my folks are still in the South San Francisco Bay Area, and my dad has one of my bottles there. (I've got another here, ssshh!) Lucky me. Enjoy it!

dcb

Postby dcb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 pm

Laphroaig 15 to open with my father in law on Thursday.

dcb

Postby dcb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:52 am

you got it, NH never ever puts Laphroaig on sale.. but yeah, scotch is about all I have in common with my wife's dad. I'll open the bottle with him, but I'm not giving him the bottle :D

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:54 am

Grant Park MLCC: An Aberlour A'Bunadh batch 15, ...no, an 18... no, a 15, that's what the box label says...no again, an 18 'cause that's what's on the bottle label.

Had the Glenlivet Fr Oak 15 in hand, then saw said batch 15 which I scooped up, as I'd missed one 6 months ago. Opened it outside after purchase to show it off and it was a batch 18 inside! I went back in to see if there was another 15 and there were 4 boxes labeled 15 that held batch 18. Disappointed but I kept it anyways.

It would appear that the bottling/packaging plant had a few older boxes left that they used up first - canny Scots!

Anyone else ever run into this?

Muskrat

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:02 pm

My latest purchase was for the pub and comprised Paddy, Kilbeggan, An Cnoc 1991, Ardmore & Old Pulteney 12y.
MT

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:18 pm

The Peat Monster in Waitrose for £20. I have seen it for £30 so I was pleased with that.

:)

Leither
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:29 pm

Good one Les, this is on my 'to buy' list along with Laphroaig 15. Peat monster is a lovely dram for £20.

Some of the Waitrose own label stuff aint bad neither, the Island 10yo being HP :thumbsup:

Waitrose are leading on the pre-xmas bargains for me just now

Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:30 pm

I flew out of Dublin last night and picked up a bottle of Locke's 8 year old pure pot still single malt. I haven't tried it but it was a good deal at the duty free store.

Robocod

Postby Robocod » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:29 pm

Just had another birthday (not again :o ) and I woke up with a singin family and bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra 48% :) . Present(s) to myself where Springbank Vintage 1997, Signatory Un-chillfiltered Laphroaig 16 YO and Signatory Bunnahabhain Peaty Un-chillfiltered 9 YO :D . I am looking forward to next birthday.

woodhill
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:45 am

Little trip to Waitrose

(Thanks for pointing it out everyone)

Abelour Abunadh Batch 20

Peat monster

Both for £45

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:18 am

Last big haul of the year, seriously:

Glen Grant 21yo G&M 40% abv
Ardbeg Uigeadail 54.2% abv(bargain price $62US)
Clynelish 1990 Murray McDavid 46% abv
George T Stagg 2007 72.4% abv!
Eagle Rare 17yo 45% abv
Sazerac Rye 18yo (actually 22.5yo)
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2005 barrelled 1993, 48% abv
Four Roses Small Batch 45% abv
Four Roses Single Barrel 50% abv

Beer:

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen (2)
Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale (6)
Stone Vertical Epic 07-07-07 (1)
Stone Ruination IPA (1)