Springbank 15 year

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:27 am

I dug up this old thread since I finally opened the 10yo Springbank on New Year's Eve. I liked it, in fact it is 2. best smokeless and unpeated whisky I have tasted (at least I couldn't sense such tastes). Glenfarclas 25yo is the best so far, but in it I could swear I tasted some slight peat and smoke notes ... but I'm not 100% sure of that finding.

IMO, cask taste was surpricingly strong for that young whisky and it had strong malt taste to me. Good indeed, I will give 8½ to it. Image

Kippis,
Ize

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:29 pm

I have a bottle of the new Springbank 10yo and at first I was disappointed with it but it has grown on me. The closest comparison for me is the Talisker 10yo (one of my all time favorites, 9.5/10) and between the two I find the Talisker to be more potent with a nicer nose and a much longer finish. The Talisker is cheaper too. But that said, the Springbank 10yo isn't all bad. Not great but not bad so I'd give it 7.5/10.

Harry

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:29 pm

I have a bottle of the new Springbank 10yo and at first I was disappointed with it but it has grown on me. The closest comparison for me is the Talisker 10yo (one of my all time favorites, 9.5/10) and between the two I find the Talisker to be more potent with a nicer nose and a much longer finish. The Talisker is cheaper too. But that said, the Springbank 10yo isn't all bad. Not great but not bad so I'd give it 7.5/10.

Harry

r0b
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:10 pm

Argyll wrote:
(...) either your taste buds are shot or someone has substituted your whiskies (...)

That really made me laugh! Shot taste buds Image

r0b
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:10 pm

Argyll wrote:
(...) either your taste buds are shot or someone has substituted your whiskies (...)

That really made me laugh! Shot taste buds Image

Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:29 pm

Just to update this.

I finished my 15 year old and have started the next. My view has not changed about it, it is not very 'springbank' and poor value. I think it purely down to the amount of different stock springbank have to 'play' with for this bottling. New distilling starting about 15 years ago?

The 10 I have got wrong big time. My old bottle was okay but the latest bottling is excellent. Once I got past a 'corky' one we are left with one of the finest whiskies for £25. It is up there with the other great like Ardbeg 10 and Bruichladdie 10 (and the usual regulars like Lagavulin / Laphoig, HP and MaCallan). This I really like and recommend it, now why can't they do this with the 15?

Return to “Whisky Tastings”