Recommendations for my whisky tasting

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Bronze Member

Recommendations for my whisky tasting

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:16 pm

Hi everyone

I want to have a whisky tasting with say six whiskies.
I want to do it cheap but try and use some bottlings/finishes that regular drinkers may not have tried.
i.e. I thought I could use a Campbletown Loch 25. I definately dont want to use for example a Laphroig 10 because everyone will have tried it before,
Any ideas? :roll:

Silver Member

my ideas

Postby richard » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:46 pm

try the new bladnoch and tomintoul as well as glen garioch then caol ila then ardbeg good luck

Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:00 am

Since you've mentioned Campbelltown Loch, you're obviously happy to have a blend or two at the table, so why not add a vatted malt also?

Try the Six Isles vatted malt, or a Poit Dubh, as these are very interesting & flavoursome whiskies that I daresay many people won't have tried.

Richard's Caol Ila was a good suggestion, and I'd also suggest a Clynelish.

The recent Clynelish bottlings from Gordon & MacPhail (Connoisseur's Choice) are quite inexpensive, yet amazingly full-flavoured and tasty malts. They also offer a flavour profile quite different from your standard Speyside or Highland malts.

Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:13 am

Very young Ardbeg

Postby Ralph » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:35 am

Hello, I think you ma like to taste whisey from different regions. plus, you can suriprse tasters by giving taste of a cheap super market bottle. I had once Safeways highland and it was very nice.

Gold Member

Postby bond » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:24 pm

I would certainly recommend a Bowmore 12 YO.

It is relatively inexpensive and is generously peaty without being overwhelming (which the heavies can be at times)

Would also recommend Cragganmore, a full bodied and complex beast which is grossly under-rated, in mt opinion.

Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:25 am

Agree with you there on the Cragganmore.

In fact, half the appeal of this malt is the fact it is so under-rated.

We have an expression here in Australia for people or things who go about their work brilliantly without making a fuss or song & dance about it. It's "Quiet Achiever". I think Cragganmore is a great example.

Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:06 am

Thirded - Cragganmore is very nice indeed.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”