Springbank Rum Wood Finish!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:48 pm

Springbank 12yo Rum Wood Finish.
The first in Springbank's "Wood Expressions" range, a limited release of 5,700 bottles.
I have heard its not that good and that the wood hasn't played its full part in the maturation process.
I have not tried it though.
Does anyone else know anything about it?

Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:48 pm

Springbank 12yo Rum Wood Finish.
The first in Springbank's "Wood Expressions" range, a limited release of 5,700 bottles.
I have heard its not that good and that the wood hasn't played its full part in the maturation process.
I have not tried it though.
Does anyone else know anything about it?

Gate
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Wed May 01, 2002 9:15 pm

I have a bottle (or more like 2/3 of a bottle now), and I was pretty disappointed on first sampling, but I think that was because of the weight of expectation - I'd been looking out for it for a while and was pretty made up when I managed to pick up a bottle. I've gone back to it a few times now, and it grows on you. You wouldn't necessarily take it for Springbank on a blind tasting though - it has a curious faint sweet mintiness about it, as if someone had dunked a mint toffee in it. It'd be interesting to know what rum was in the cask before the Springbank went in there - Jamaica, Demerara, Barbados?

Gate
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Wed May 01, 2002 9:15 pm

I have a bottle (or more like 2/3 of a bottle now), and I was pretty disappointed on first sampling, but I think that was because of the weight of expectation - I'd been looking out for it for a while and was pretty made up when I managed to pick up a bottle. I've gone back to it a few times now, and it grows on you. You wouldn't necessarily take it for Springbank on a blind tasting though - it has a curious faint sweet mintiness about it, as if someone had dunked a mint toffee in it. It'd be interesting to know what rum was in the cask before the Springbank went in there - Jamaica, Demerara, Barbados?

Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed May 01, 2002 9:35 pm

Hi I can tell you that it was Demerara rum

Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed May 01, 2002 9:35 pm

Hi I can tell you that it was Demerara rum

Return to “Whisky Tastings”