Talisker 1996 Distillers Edition

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Talisker 1996 Distillers Edition

Postby Megawatt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:34 am

If I may share my thoughts on this fine malt.

Distilled in 1996, bottled in 2008. 45.8% alc/vol like the other standard bottlings. Finished in Amaroso sherry casks.

A peaty, somewhat tarry aroma is immediately evident. Hints at big sweetness but smokiness prevails. Light floral aromas in the background.

Luscious on the palate, tingling with spice before a massive perfumed sweetness envelops the tongue. A late surge of peat smoke follows, then becomes sweet again. The finish is mellow with lingering peat and a hint of...ginger?

A beautiful expression of the Talisker character. Not as heavy or luxurious as the 18 year old but definitely richer than the 10. I wish I could compare them side by side. I highly recommend this whisky to just about anyone. It would make a good introduction to the smoky island style.

Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: Talisker 1996 Distillers Edition

Postby Megawatt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:58 am

Certainly. I will say that after sitting in the glass for a bit the sweet sherry character becomes more evident. I have heard some people complain about the sherry not meshing well with the distillery character but to me this represents perfect balance between the two.

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:30 pm

I've been through several bottles of the '92 Talisker DE, stocked up on a closeout. Wondering if anyone has noticed any variation in the different vintages. I actually have not seen any current DE versions around yet.

Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Megawatt » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:17 am

I dunno, I wouldn't rate it that far behind the 18, comparing from memory. They are both big well-balanced drams.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”