Bourbon

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:38 am

Years ago I had a very tiny sip of 96% technical spirit. It burned my tongue so badly that I wasn't able to breathe properly! When you pour this stuff into the coffee - like they do in the slightly agricultural parts of Norway - they call it "coffee doctor". It might not keep the doctor away though - quite the contrary!

btw: I've been told that the moment you open the bottle with aprx 98% spirit it will start to evaporate, loose 2% and turn into 96% immediately. Is that correct?

Skål!
Christian

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:59 am

Christian, suppose you had a 100cl bottle at 98% alcohol. It has 2cl of non-alcohol fluid in it. In order for that 2cl to become 4% of the volume in the bottle, you'd have to lose 50cl of alcohol to evaporation immediately! Seems unlikely, eh? Even if you lost 2cl of alcohol immediately (which I doubt), you'd still have 97.959% alcohol.

You remind me of a sample of Lagavulin 5yo cask strength I had at the William Wright Wine Co in Skipton, Yorkshire. When I went to comment on it to the sales clerk, I had no voice! Never had anything like it again until the Ardbeg Very Young, and even that wasn't quite so powerful. Unfortunately, the sample bottle was the last they had.

Hey, you're up awfully early, aren't you? Or late?

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:09 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Christian, suppose you had a 100cl bottle at 98% alcohol. It has 2cl of non-alcohol fluid in it. In order for that 2cl to become 4% of the volume in the bottle, you'd have to lose 50cl of alcohol to evaporation immediately! Seems unlikely, eh? Even if you lost 2cl of alcohol immediately (which I doubt), you'd still have 97.959% alcohol.

Ok, I'll buy that. Thanks for the answer!
You remind me of a sample of Lagavulin 5yo cask strength I had at the William Wright Wine Co in Skipton, Yorkshire. When I went to comment on it to the sales clerk, I had no voice!

To my knowledge I haven't succeded in making you or Mr Picky speechless yet.....
Never had anything like it again until the Ardbeg Very Young, and even that wasn't quite so powerful. Unfortunately, the sample bottle was the last they had.

It's very drinkable and interesting and I believe you'll agree with me on that? But it's also more like a sample of what we might expect in the future than say - a possible favourite dram which it clearly isn't because it's so young.
Hey, you're up awfully early, aren't you? Or late?

Yep :D Both sort of........... I'm working nights this week.

Skål!
Christian

bernstein
Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:28 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I'm working nights this week.

So it's "God morgen, Christian!" now :wink:.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:53 pm

8) just had dinner........erm....breakfast that is.....
Maybe we should have a "What did you drink for breakfast-thread" - or is that too early?

Skål!
Christian

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:36 pm

Nothing wrong with an early morning dram... 8) Pop into Bruichladdich at opening time and see what Mary will give you.

It was the Lag 5 I meant that they were out of, Christian--although Wm Wright's website claims they now have some in stock. (Don't know how up-to-date that is.) I believe it's a Signatory Islay 5yo, available at both 40% and cask strength. I want some!

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:14 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Nothing wrong with an early morning dram... 8) Pop into Bruichladdich at opening time and see what Mary will give you.

When in Rome do as the romans :wink:

It was the Lag 5 I meant that they were out of, Christian--although Wm Wright's website claims they now have some in stock. (Don't know how up-to-date that is.) I believe it's a Signatory Islay 5yo, available at both 40% and cask strength. I want some!

Very interesting! Lagavulin 5yo you say - I'd love to try it!

Skål!
Christian

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:42 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:8) just had dinner........erm....breakfast that is.....
Maybe we should have a "What did you drink for breakfast-thread" - or is that too early?

Skål!
Christian

Now, if we could just get Tim Horton's or Krispy Kreme to get liquor licenses...

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:44 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Years ago I had a very tiny sip of 96% technical spirit. It burned my tongue so badly that I wasn't able to breathe properly! When you pour this stuff into the coffee - like they do in the slightly agricultural parts of Norway - they call it "coffee doctor". It might not keep the doctor away though - quite the contrary!

btw: I've been told that the moment you open the bottle with aprx 98% spirit it will start to evaporate, loose 2% and turn into 96% immediately. Is that correct?

Skål!
Christian

I'm not sure about that, but I have read that if one were to take a bottle of chilled vodka, pour it into an equally chilled stainless steel bowl and then add an ice cube...the ice cube will attract all of the water content in the vodka, leaving nothing but pure spirit...

Mark

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:16 am

Sounds very fascinating Mark, but I'm wondering....
One way of serving Vodka - and a rather common way too - is to place the bottle in a plastic box filled with water and leave it in the freezer untill the water has frozen. Then you remove the plastic and you have the coolest party trick; Vodka in ice!

Skål!
Christian

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:05 am

Hmmmm.... Have you ever done a watermelon?

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:44 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hmmmm.... Have you ever done a watermelon?

Uhhhh...no. I think that's illegal in most states! :shock:

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:47 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Sounds very fascinating Mark, but I'm wondering....
One way of serving Vodka - and a rather common way too - is to place the bottle in a plastic box filled with water and leave it in the freezer untill the water has frozen. Then you remove the plastic and you have the coolest party trick; Vodka in ice!

Skål!
Christian

Now, if we did that with a bottle of Scotch, would it violate the general prohibition on mixing ice with Scotch?

Mark

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

george t stagg - 144.8 proof

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:31 am

george t stagg uncut/unfiltered barrel proof 15 year old kentucky straight bourbon whiskey - 72.4% / 144.8 proof

color: rich caramel

nose: brown sugar, pecans, raisins

mouthfeel: immediate soft blanketing of the top and sides of mouth, cheeks with a velvet glow....the alcohol is prominent and grows intense on the tonguetip and inside the bottom lip...it lasts quite a long while

taste: pralines, butter, brown sugar, the alcohol taste is coated with an eggnog flavor, nutmeg, corn, soft lemon

nose with a splash of water: caramel, sugar

taste with a splash of water: the flavors dissipate and you get just a watered down version of the original....

best neat if you can handle it.....this is genuinely a "sipping" bourbon...not even a mouthfull, a sip big enough to coat the tongue and swish around the mouths/gums.......sit back and let it laaaaaaaaaaast.......

i really wish i had better words to describe this one

intense...a handsome beast

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Re: Bourbon

Postby MGillespie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Amen to that! Had the chance to try it a couple of weeks ago at WhiskyFest, and it's amazing...

Mark

oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby oldrip57 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:35 am

As I posted in another thread, the best way to appreciate ALL that Stagg offers is to pour it relatively deep, and enjoy it over a long period of time -- say, an hour or two. It transforms in the glass. More than once.

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:18 am

i will try it how you suggested in a few days.....thanks for the advice...

captainfudgie

Postby captainfudgie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:33 pm

Real men drink Wild Turkey 101. For me it is the one that I compare all others against That is not to say that there are not better bourbons available but for the price it is the clear choice in my book. I have wanted to try some Buffalo Trace but I have not been able to locate any in New Jersey so far.If anyone knows where some can be located I would appreciate it if you would pass along the info.

oldrip57
Bronze Member

Re: george t stagg - 144.8 proof

Postby oldrip57 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:34 am

randall fairbrook wrote:...best neat if you can handle it...

Not. Primarily, just another form of comparing equipment sizes. Except for the 2004 issue -- 129 proof (64.5% abv) -- Stagg has to be diluted to be enjoyed properly. That's not to say you can't enjoy it neat -- but most drinkers don't know how: pour it deep and sip it over 2-3 hours, and enjoy the changing environment.

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:10 pm

captainfudgie wrote:Real men drink Wild Turkey 101. For me it is the one that I compare all others against That is not to say that there are not better bourbons available but for the price it is the clear choice in my book. I have wanted to try some Buffalo Trace but I have not been able to locate any in New Jersey so far.If anyone knows where some can be located I would appreciate it if you would pass along the info.

You'll have to go to New York or Pennsylvania...Buffalo Trace is not sold in New Jersey.

Mark

Return to “Whisky Tastings”