Gordon Highlanders

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Gordon Highlanders

Postby SasquatchMan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:36 am

What's the consensus on this stuff? I know a lot of "newbie" scotch drinkers who like it, and to be honest, I think it tastes pretty good (a lot better than a lot of the cheaper blends, like JW Red or Ballantine's).

I assume the dark colour is merely caramel, to appeal to the American market (in which dark liquors tend to be preferred). Does anyone know what goes into this stuff? I think it's surprisingly mellow for a 43% blend.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:09 pm

It is under the Wm Grant & Sons umbrella. I much prefer it to Grant's Family Reserve, though that isn't saying too much. It is only 40% here for some reason. I suspect it has a fair amount of Glenfiddich and/or The Balvenie in it but I'm not sure. Never nosed one seriously enough to try and pick it apart.

Harry

SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:02 pm

Harry, I know what you mean about preferring it to Grant's and also that that doesn't mean much. I also suspect you are correct on both counts - I assume it has a bit of fiddich for the mellow and a bit of Balvenie for the robustness... as to what else, God only knows - it's impossible to pick a blend like that apart.. It's interesting stuff for the price.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”