Arran 10 years old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
SRWV

Arran 10 years old

Postby SRWV » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:32 am

I was given a bottle of Arran 10 yeaers old by a freind. What is that taste behind the initial malt. I am racking my brains? Can any-one assist?

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re: Arran 10 years old

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:21 am

I'm a big fan of Arran. My tasting notes on the 10-year old 46%ABV edition are as follows...

Colour: Bright gold with lemon yellow highlights.
Nose: Peach ginger compote. Buttered crumpets. Lemon zest in honey.
Palate: Relatively light in body, but with an attractive glycerine-like textural quality. Ripe pears and passion fruit. Lemon vanilla cake. Almond paste. A suggestion of saltwater mist and spices deftly counterpoints the malt sweetness.

All told, a well rounded and approachable whisky.

Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Megawatt » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:28 pm

I haven't tried the 10 but I've had various other bottlings. I think one of their hallmarks is citrus and tropical fruits, like sweet pineapple. A very fruity, lively dram.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 pm

I've also tried three of the high-proof expressions... A cask strength one matured 100% in ex-Bourbon wood as well as two 55%ABV versions, one finished in Italian Amarone wood and the other in Hungarian Tokaji wood. Of these, I slightly prefer the Bourbon and Tokaji editions, with the Amarone finish bottling seeming to be a bit of a rough ride on the palate. There's no denying the consistent quality of the base distillate, though - even given the relative youth of these whiskies.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”