Bordeaux finishes, anyone?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Red_Arremer

Bordeaux finishes, anyone?

Postby Red_Arremer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:23 pm

What are the best bordeaux finish bottlings that you've had?

My girlfriend and I had a taste of the Bruichladdich Redder Still the other day. Can't speak for how well it's put together, but it was a very powerful and refreshingly exotic whisky. I wanted it, but, at 325$, I couldn't rationalize it. I tried Auchentoshan's 17yo OB bordeaux and thought it was a little bland. I know the Bowmore Dusk is bordeaux, and I'm interested, but I haven't tried it.

Any suggestions?

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Bordeaux finishes, anyone?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:49 pm

I've only tasted a Burgundy finished Glenmorangie but that isn't exactly what you asked. I see Royal Mile Whiskies have a few Bordeaux finished whiskies:

ARRAN Chateau Margaux Finish

GLENMORANGIE 1987 Margaux

BENRIACH 16 Sauternes Finish
(Chateau d'Yquem casks)

EDRADOUR 1997 Sauternes Finish 50cl

BOWMORE 1992 Bordeaux Wine Finish 53.5%

EDRADOUR 1995 SFTC Bordeaux Finish 50cl

BRUICHLADDICH 15 Year Old - Sauternes Finish

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/find.a ... =&sfile=1=
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hereward

Postby Hereward » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:57 pm

The Bowmore Dusk is one of my favourites. Not to everyone's taste I know, but I always keep a bottle or two in reserve.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:17 pm

mikeymad wrote:mmmm yummy Mr Fjeld ....

thx

:D Mikey, I had a hard time resisting the call from my whisky cabinet after uploading the pickies.............

laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Three years ago I drank the Edradour Bordeaux finish SFTC 11 yo 2005: according to my notes, very sweet, not very complex but very appetizing.
Bye
Luca

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:06 pm

laphroaig10_65 wrote:Three years ago I drank the Edradour Bordeaux finish SFTC 11 yo 2005: according to my notes, very sweet, not very complex but very appetizing.
Bye
Luca

I enjoyed this one too, but by far the best finish on Edradour that I've tried was the Gaja Barolo. I also liked the Bruichladdich 18yo, I forget which dessert wine its finish is.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:29 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I've only tasted a Burgundy finished Glenmorangie but that isn't exactly what you asked. I see Royal Mile Whiskies have a few Bordeaux finished whiskies

Nice pictures, but Sauternes is not a Burgundy - it's a white dessert wine. Red wine flavouring seems to make whisky taste of cherryade. And it tends to go this colour:
:twisted: :evil:

It's ironic, too, to see Edradour marketing a range of whiskies as "straight from the cask", when that's exactly what it isn't.
:yuk: :mrgreen:

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:50 am

Nick Brown wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:I've only tasted a Burgundy finished Glenmorangie but that isn't exactly what you asked. I see Royal Mile Whiskies have a few Bordeaux finished whiskies

Nice pictures, but Sauternes is not a Burgundy - it's a white dessert wine. Red wine flavouring seems to make whisky taste of cherryade. And it tends to go this colour:

I know a Sauternes is not a burgundy - it's a bordeaux wine and that's why I posted it among the bordeaux wine finished whiskies. I've tasted several Sauternes but frankly I'm not very fond of dessert wine - with the exception of a couple of Trockenbeerenauslese I've tasted.

I'm a little sceptic towards wine finishing myself. Too much flavour of the month mentality and the ones I've tried have ended up trying too hard - like the Talisker DE (although it's a sherry finished whisky) .

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I stand corrected. But in the context of adding flavouring/colouring to whisky, I tend to assume "Burgundy" or "Bordeaux" to mean adding a cherryade flavour and red colouring.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:54 pm

Well, in retrospect I should have written it differently to avoid confusion; "I have not tasted any Bordeaux finished whiskies but here are few available from RMW"
:D

About dessert wine finish - the only one I've tasted so far is the Caol Ila DE, a moscatel finished Caol Ila. Initially I liked it but I've given it some thought and I wonder if the sweetness from the wine replaces or outdoes the malty/gristy sweetness from the malted barley. So I wonder, is this really an enhancment of character? Maybe the smoke balances it but I'm not sure.

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Red wine flavouring seems to make whisky taste of cherryade. And it tends to go this colour:

It's ironic, too, to see Edradour marketing a range of whiskies as "straight from the cask", when that's exactly what it isn't.
:yuk: :mrgreen:

Of course, as with everything on these forums, it's a matter of taste. I find some wine finishes work well, some don't. Just as some whiskies that have only lived in sherry or bourbon barrels work well and others don't. I find some sherried casks add a flavour I hate that is a mix of orange/pyracantha blossom/cat wee. And it turns the whisky brown ;)

I assumed "Straight from the Cask" refers to it being cask strength whiskies, matured in one type of hoggy then finished in another. Nowt ironical about it :)

petrol9to5

Postby petrol9to5 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:35 pm

If you like the Bruichladdich Redder, I can recommend their Links Torrey Pines - which is a Bordeaux finish. Just polished one off myself - really rather sad to see it finished......
About a thrid of the price too !

Red_Arremer

Postby Red_Arremer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:58 am

My friend and I just split a bottle of the Bowmore Dusk. The stuff is surprisingly good.

Thanks for the heads up petrol9to5. I'll likely give that one a shot. Also thanks Mr Fjeld for giving me the heads up on the Bowmore 1992 Bordeaux. I can't wait for that one to get to the states. If it's in their vintage series It's sure to be full term Bordeaux.

petrol9to5

Postby petrol9to5 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:50 am

Following on from my recommendation for Bruichladdich Links Torrey Pines.... - Ive just opened up their 16YO Cuvee "Pomerol" - its an absolute stunner ! - If you like this type of whisky then I suggest you try it.
This is part of a range of 6, all with different bordeaux finishes. Anyone else experienced any of the others ?

Return to “Whisky Tastings”