Bladnoch Tasting - September 2008 - 7 PM

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Re: Bladnoch Tasting - September 2008 - 7 PM

Postby Ryguy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:31 am

Jobi wrote:
ryguy wrote:It seems as though Bladnoch didn't draw a big crowd.

Looking at the comments, it seems it would have been an even smaller crowd without Willie's generosity. Thanks again, sir.

You're absolutely right there Jobi. Availability is certainly an issue, here anyway. Thanks again to Yourself, Willie and Nick for the samples I had today! :thumbsup:

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Hmm, yet another tasting I wasn't available for :x :oops:

Will see what I can do later... I owe C57 a tasting note at least!

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Excellent idea Willie! I'll be sure to post my notes on the Bladnoch Forum as well. Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Collector57 wrote:You're welcome Ryan.
It's a few years away yet, but you'll have a bottle from my cask share.

Thats very generous of you Nick, as always! Thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Just adding my late tuppence-worth. For the record, a tulip nosing glass was used throughout.

Bladnoch 15yo (46%, OB, UCF)

Nose: Very sweet and fresh. A touch minty, with some fudge in the background. Buttery, with a little vanilla and grass. Some citrus fruit, predominantly lemon. Lemon drizzle cake, lemon sorbet... lots of lemon here, in fact! Possibly a faint farminess in the background.

Palate: Light; slightly oily. Lemon and butter, as well as some grass. Faint touches of mint and vanilla.

Finish: Fudge notes, then mainly grassy. This is almost immediately followed by a huge burst of lemon. Buttery notes appear soon after, but it's the lemon that lingers.

Not at all complex, but very refreshing and enjoyable. Good job I like lemons though... Many thanks to Collector57 for this one! :thumbsup:

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:46 pm

Bladnoch 15yo (46%, OB, Cask #1056)

Nose: Huge notes of toffee-flavoured fudge, butterscotch and liquorice. Quite grassy. A touch of acidity that lends a slightly sour note. Caramel. Vaguely spicy (pepper). Very sweet. Slightly metallic and sort of 'chemical' after a couple of minutes. Slightly minty and limey, with a hint of the coast.

Palate: Very fizzy! Fudge again, with a little mint (Kendal mint cake?), spice and chocolate. The influence of the sherry cask becomes evident after a few moments, with a subtle winy character appearing - though by no means dominating.

Finish: Fizzy and grassy, with some mint and eucalyptus. The grassiness lasts a long while.

My favourite Bladnoch to date, though very difficult to find now - good job I have one in reserve!

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:14 am

Bladnoch 15yo (55%, OB, Cask #2615, 550 bottles)

Nose: Large sherry presence - not so much in a winy sense, but rather through some creamy, coffee-flavoured chocolate notes, blackcurrant and hints of burnt matchstick. Also some butter and lemon. When given time, treacle, dark chocolate and hints of liquorice develop.

Palate: Quite hot after a few seconds. The trademark butter and lemon are here, but so too are cream and milk chocolate and, with time, treacle, liquorice and blackcurrant.

Finish: Quite lemony and slightly grassy, with hints of blackcurrant, treacle and liquorice appearing after a few seconds. The latter three are more developed when the whisky is given time in the glass.

Also very good, but I think the palate lacks a little something when compared to #1056. Very, very nice nose though!

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 am

Excellent notes as always Stuart! Thanks for posting them!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Return to “Whisky Tastings”