September 27th live & online with Malty

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Online tasting with Malty on Sept. 27th

1. Irish
7%
2. Summer Fruits
7%
3. Full Bodied
7%
4. Peat & Smoke
11%
5. Islands
4%
6. Woods
No votes
7. Regions
4%
8. Landlord's Choice
37%
9. Malty's Mania
15%
10. A different selection (Specifiy what you would like in your post)
7%

Total votes: 27

Deactivated Member

Re: September 27th live & online with Malty

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:25 am

After speaking to most who hae enquired, the tasting WILL go ahead as planned.

So, if you nwant to join us, just let me know your preferences.
MT

:)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:39 am

Latest E-Mails now sent out :D

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:02 pm

So, all requested packages have been sent out.
One person ordered, but hasn't confirmed or paid, so this has not been sent.

MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Probably tomorrow will post here the full details of all whiskies sent out.
The sample bottles only show the names and no strength or further details.

Unfortunately this will be a very small tasting, but it will happen and I look forward to it.
Should some not arrive by Saturday, you can add your notes when they do arrive. In fact, certainly one recipient will have trouble tasting tham ALL on one evening (I think).

I thank in advance those who have joined in by ordering and am sorry many other enquirers couldn't manage the event this time around.
MT

Kernow
Bronze Member

Postby Kernow » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:20 pm

For some reason have missed this thread to late now :( . Sounds fun , maybe next time. Have a good time everyone.

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
Do we have a start time?

If you have to ask, you're already late! :D

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Unfortunately this will be a very small tasting, but it will happen and I look forward to it.
Should some not arrive by Saturday, you can add your notes when they do arrive. In fact, certainly one recipient will have trouble tasting tham ALL on one evening (I think).

I thank in advance those who have joined in by ordering and am sorry many other enquirers couldn't manage the event this time around.
MT

MT, I think you deserve a nice round of applause for doing this! :thumbsup:

Have a great time tonight. I will chime in when I can.

Cheers!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi to all, I just arrived home after a totally draining day.
I spent all day yesterday at the pub, arrived home, ate and went to bed for 10pm. Up again at 2am today and in the bar at 4am cooking breakfasts for the expected crowd of Aussies (AFL Grand Final day!!!).

I have some messages to say that some folk didn't get their samples yet, but anyonme who did, or anyone with a few drams who wants to just join in, please feel free to do so.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:10 pm

C57,
be careful, that Royal Brackla is excellent, but quite light. Don't overpower it by the stronger ones first.

My own order for your 'flight' (I hate that term too!) would be:

(Save Redbreast 15)

Royal Brackla
Blair Atholl
Glenlivet Nad CS
Mac 10 CS
PE 2nd
Almost There
Oogling (Don't try to drink any other AFTER this one!)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Willie,
I am quite happy for you to dram freely, but as I have just done for C57, I am also happy to offer my own suggestions for your order, which you may choose to follow or ignore.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:12 pm

I ahve brought two samples home for myself; the now infamous (at least in The Arc) An Cnoc 1991 & the even more infamous Batch #20.

But forst I am enjoying a wonderful, unfiltered Wies'n beer.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Willie,
the order you have posted is exactly the order I would choose for your drams:

An Cnoc 1991
Blair Atholl F&F
Talisker 18yo
A'Bunadh batch 20
Ardbeg Almost There

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:14 pm

In fact, give me a minute or two and I'll join you with the An Cnoc

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:27 pm

An Cnoc, 1991 in a (clean) Spiegelau Glass

Nose: Immediately fresh, becoming more intense on further nosing.
The fresh notes are almost akin to mint, but in a lovely perfumed floral kind of way.
Don't be put off by this, the nose is very pleasant and promises much.

Palate: Initially feels weak, but this soon explodes into massive flavour comprising dry nuts, slight liquorice and slightly sharp pears.

The finish seems to want to be short, but only gently fades and keeps on coming back. All the flavour is on the front of the tongue and in the cheeks, with almost nothing on the back of the throat.
Did I mention how long this is? How it keeps returning?
Well, it is and it does.

I really like this 1991. In this years Munich Whisky Fair I attended the An Cnoc Masterclass and we were presented with two drams; the 1993 and the 12y.
With only two of us in attendance we opted for an informal passing around of the bottles and an intimate discussion of the two drams.
I found the 1993 to be not so long or complex as the 1991 and the 12y to be good, but probably the lesser of the three.
As the 1991 seems to be all gone now, I think I'll have to source some 1993 for the bar when this runs out.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:44 pm

Willie, I can see what you mean by honey, although I wouldn't have identified it as such.
As for the finish, for me it just kept on returning. As I mentioned, not in the usueal throaty way, but it just remained on the front of the tongue, returning and returning and retu...........

I agree, a hugely enjoyable dram.

I referred to it as being more complex than the '93, because I found the '93 to be a little more one-dimensional and more along the lines of the standard 12y.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to describe it as having more character than the '93 or 12y, rather than saying it was more complex.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:54 pm

I hope you enjoy that one!

As a nightcap before retiring, I am treating myelf to a Batch #20.

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:20 am

Nice drams Willie & Nick! Great notes too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:43 am

Hi folks,
please accept my apologies. In the middle of this great tasting I just fell asleep :dead:

That day was too much. A very good day, but too much.
I awoke (at my desk) abaout an hour later and was awake enough to just shut down and take myself off to bed.
After a good few hours sleep I have returned to see how you enjoyed the drams and find one half-empty beer and a half-finished batch #20 sitting here looking at me.

Breakfast?
No thanks, not these. :lol:

I'll look back at your notes and see what I think or if I can add anything.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:50 am

Renaissance or Almost There? :?

This is a good question.
Flavour-wise they are quite different. That extra year made a difference. But which do I prefer.
I haven't tried a direct head to head, but I have tried both on several occasions and when drinking the 'R' I always ask myself this question.

It's a close one to call as I like the 'AT', or at least the flavour / palate.
However, the 'R' is a much more solid dram, perhaps because of the extra strength.

So, which one?
I'll stick my neck out and say that at the moment, maybe the 'AT' just edges it for me as an everyday dram.
But the 'R' is great as a one-off or more infrequent dram.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:58 am

Whilst on the subject of Ardbeg, I eagerly await the notes from those who have an Oogling from me.

This is a quite exceptional dram and probably the most 'in yer face' Ardbeg I have ever tried. Far more than the original Oogy.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:11 am

Thanks Willie, good notes for the Blair Atholl.

I just looked back to try and find my own notes from when I tried this. I was sure they were here online somewhere, ut sadly I can't find them.

Anyway, I agree totally that this is a very good whisky and as it's quite prominent on my shelf, it's quite popular with people looking for something unusual that they haven't tried before.

I agree with most that you have said here, I remember likening it to Christmas cake with those flavours (sherry, nuts, candied fruit, slight orange ..).

As for batch #20; I know where there are maybe three bottles ......... But I can't see them staying there too much longer.
(I even saw a batch #19 in the same cabinet, is this one any good?)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:15 am

Collector57 wrote:Nadurra CS

Nose: Vanilla, oak, Camp coffee
Palate: Sweet, vaniila and lemons (like lemon meringue), ginger like the 48% but less so
Finish: Pretty long and quite hot spicy (like the ginger)

Nick (C57), I just read your Nadurra notes and need to ask if you detected any apricot or peach flavours?

I love this Nad CS as for me, it exhibits all those wonderful summer fruit sensations like apricot and peach. Although I have to say they become more prominent with the addition of 3-4 drops of water.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:20 am

For those who have the Royal Brackla, here are my own notes from a while ago:

It is a German IB from "The Whisky Companion" and was a whisky used by Malt Maniac Pit Krause in one of his tastings at my pub. He offered me a dram, but as I was driving that day I had to refuse. However, I ordered two bottles just on the strength of the nose, it made that much impression on me.

If you like a lighter dram with a floral character, then you'll love this one!

Royal Brackla an IB from "The Companion", 25y 46%

Nose:
Lots of light herbs, slightly dry and faint hints of liquorice. On further nosing I am getting just a trace of straw, as stored in a barn.

Palate: This one is initially slow. Most of the flavours burst through the aftertaste and are not so evident in the initial taste. At first it seemed quite insignificant, but only for a couple of seconds before the explosion hit.
Those herby & floral notes are splendid and are mostly concentrated on the back, not the front of the tongue. The aftertaste sits purely on the back of the tongue and is one of delicate liquorice.

Further tastes help concentrate the same flavours with that intial floral herbiness followed swiftly by a full, but not too fierce assault of liquorice on the back of the tongue, also making the extreme sides of the mouth water.

Overall impression: This is a good whisky, very good, but quite unusual in the experience it gives. The flavours are very delicate in a powerful kind of way. Initial floral and herb notes turn quickly into a more prominent liquorice which lingers for some time.

I really like this one, not just for the flavours, but for the very different overall experience it gives.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:26 am

Some took the Port Ellen 2nd Edition, here are my notes for this one:

Port Ellen, 2nd Release, Bottle No. 1141, 59.35%
Glass:
Adelphi

Nose: Linseed, Scottish sea air, grass and straw

Palate: Very smooth and surprisingly sweet, but lots of burn from all that alcohol. The aftertaste is very herbal.

Let's try with a little water now.....

With water: (4 drops in 2cl) The sea air and straw are enhanced on the nose.
Deliciously smooth on the tongue and tingling the front and rear of the tongue simultaneously, whilst leaving the middle alone!
Lovely herbal flavours whilst slightly oily and wonderfully smooth with the sweetness remaining, albeit not quite so prominent now.

3 Further drops of water: A little smokiness is starting to develop amongst that straw. For a fleeting second I had a slight taste of one of those liquorice allsorts which comprises liquorice wrapped in a coconut tyre.

Overall Impression: This is an excellent dram and one which shall return to in a few days time. Probably experimenting with a little more water as this time around, it improved both times when I added a few drops.
Lovely!!!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:35 am

I've looked further and still can't find my batch #20 notes, but as I didn't pour all my sample last night and as I hope to be home early again today .... I'll re-taste it and do it live.

Finally (for now) I'll say a big "Thank you" to Willie and C57 for joining in here and when the rest of the samples arrive please add your notes for them here.

I am especially looking forward to seeing some of those notes for a couple of the more outstanding drams!
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 am

Hopefully see you later this evening C57 with my batch #20.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:45 am

I just realised that I still have my sample of 1955, 38y Talisker.

A real 'star' for this evening! :D

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I am quite tempted to get the #19 anyway. Either it will be a great and similar to the #20, or it will be not so good and help to show exactly how good the #20 really is!

BTW, I'm posting from the pub so I'm only here for a short time.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:05 am

I really have to agree with you there C57.

Now, another crazy day, this time with NFL means I get home after 2am.
I need a quick drink!

An Cnoc 1991 bloody good.

You know what - Batch #20 Best Christmas pud in a glass, ever!

That's it for tonight.
G'night all,
MT

Return to “Whisky Tastings”