Other Live Tastings

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Re: Other Live Tastings

Postby I_SPEY » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Ryguy wrote:I would just like to clarify a few things, especially to the newcomers on the Forum. The "Other Live Tastings", along with the "Monthly Live Tastings" are not held just for a few select people, they are put on for everyone in the Forum to enjoy and learn more about new whiskies, and most importantly to have fun. In fact the more people that particpate the merrier. It's a great way to get a large range of tasting notes from many different people, as well as being able to branch out beyond ones comfort zone and try some new things.

Ganga, Myself, WillieJJ & The Tross are just a few members of the Forum who have merely given their time to help see things through and to keep things going with the Other Tastings and also Monthly Tastings that are held here. Extra thanks to Ganga for keeping the Monthly Tastings polls going monthly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'd like to thank Whisky Magazine for allowing us to use the Forum for this reason, and I'd also like to thank everyone who has participated in the past with us, and I look forward to seeing some new faces around for future tastings.

Cheers! :smoke:

You're a nice guy, Ry :thumbsup:

LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:17 pm

When did you have in mind? I may well be interested depending on whether I have enough time to get a decent stock.

LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:40 pm

I have Famous Grouse, Black grouse and the port wood grouse, I may get a few others. I'll send you some samples Nick if your up for the tasting?

Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Have a few waiting for an occasion like this.
:D

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Ganga wrote:The blended whisky tasting is coming up for the first part of April. After that we don't have any alternative tastings scheduled. Anyone have some thoughts for maybe a July or August special tasting?

I'm going to suggest Brora and also Japanese Whiskies for our next tasting(s). What do you all think? :D :D

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed May 06, 2009 8:58 pm

I like the ideas that both Sean and Ganga had. So putting it all together and what I was thinking, I'm going to propose the following. If anyone would like to make any additions or changes, please speak up.

Rye whiskies - June
Independent whiskies - July (The weekend of July 4th maybe)
Canadian whiskies - August
Brora - October
Closed Lowlands - November
Japanese whiskies - December
Closed Highlands - January
World whiskies (NZ, India, etc) - February
Tennessee and other US whiskies (excludes bourbon and rye) - April

Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Holysinner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:33 am

I'll be there with my lone Canadian (Forty Creek Barrel Select). I always read the notes with interest but haven't had a bottle to match the tasting before. I'm strongly considering picking up the FC Double Barrel Reserve, a little peer pressure could push me over the edge. :wink:

Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Holysinner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 am

pkt77242 wrote:
Holysinner wrote:I'll be there with my lone Canadian (Forty Creek Barrel Select). I always read the notes with interest but haven't had a bottle to match the tasting before. I'm strongly considering picking up the FC Double Barrel Reserve, a little peer pressure could push me over the edge. :wink:

HS, get it, I had it at a tasting a while back and enjoyed it.

Sean

Thanks for the encouragement Sean, I picked up the Double Barrel.

Also grabbed 3 mini's (Crown Royal, Wiser's, and Seagram's 7 Crown)...but looking at the bottle of Seagram's 7 it says American Whisky, and on the back 66% grain spirits. So I take it Seagram's 7 isn't Canadian. Is it even considered whisky at all with that much grain neutral spirits, or is it whisky blended with vodka?

Either way, I think it will have to be relegated to a mixer and not part of this tasting.

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I had a strange thought last night while dramming (it happens often). :insane:

Would anyone be interested in doing a personal vattings tasting? I just thought I'd throw it out there, if there is any interest we can put it together.

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:04 pm

lockejn suggested that we try a Rye Whiskies live tasting. I think it's a great idea, as I would like to read other peoples thoughts/notes on some ryes. I have tried several, but I have pretty much decided that it's just not my thing. I find them ok, but pretty one dimensional for the most part.

However I always keep an open mind with things, and I'd like to read more thoughts and notes from others on some different rye bottlings.

I would like to suggest either the weekend of April 2-4 or April 23-25 for this, to get it kicked off. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Edit: Rye whiskies were already done, but with a very small turnout. Possibly due to availability or scheduling conflicts, I'm not quite sure. So we have 2 choices:

1) We can add to the current thread
Rye Whiskies

2) Start a new one to accommodate new members, new whiskies.

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Ask and you shall receive. :D I will schedule a Rye Whisky tasting for the weekend of April 2-4. I look forward to reading everyones notes for this one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Mikey, I hope that David is able to pop in over the weekend and share some rye tasting notes with us. After browsing the website, I'm very interested to hear more.

I have set up a thread here: Rye Whisky Live Tasting

Return to “Whisky Tastings”