Malty's oddball evenings - Whisky for One

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Deactivated Member

Re: Malty's oddball evenings - Whisky for One

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:52 am

Last night I had another small glass of the Glen Garioch and although I didn't discern the violets this time, it is a very nice dram.

I have plenty left for an official tasting with notes later this week.

I also sampled just a tiny drop of that Bruichladdich x4 +1 and have to say, it is totally mind-blowing. It is extremely strong and much lighter in flavour than the normal 'laddies.
I have heard this likened to a great grappa and in many ways it is very similar to one.

I will have to be careful with this one, it is called the perilous whisky and I can confirm, that name is quite accurate.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:05 am

Interesting C57, I have seen it offered as a '2005 Futures" but also "2006 Futures" so I don't really know when it was distilled and filled, but I thought it would be just about the required 3 years.

But maybe I'm wrong and it's still not whisky.

Anyway, it's bloomin' good.
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Firstly an update on that Glen Garioch which is a very good whisky.
Sadly this one is no longer available as it was an 80's bottling and, like so many whiskies, it has changed almost beyond recognition when compared to todays offerings.
Glen Garioch is a whisky which I always enjoy, but this one was special. Much more floral / perfumed in character to the current ones and certainly without the toffee flavours of the current ones.

The nose on this one was quite light, slightly perfumed and a little more malty than todays.
The palate was delicious. Quite light, very floral / perfumed, not so complex, but still far from one-dimensional. To be honest, it was more like a Speysider, not too rich and a delight to drink.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:34 pm

Secondly, back to the Blasda:
I really am trying hard to like this one, but it still isn't fully winning me over.
If only it was less peaty!

OK, I know, it's an Ardbeg.
Ardbeg 'do' peat .....

But beside this, I have revisited it over the last couple of days and I must say that yesterday, after a couple of drams and about 2 hours, I did warm to it a little.

However, I was totally surprised when I awoke the morning after.
No, not in that way.
I left the empty glass on my bedside table and the following morning, the aromas coming from the (Spiegelau) glass were delightful!
Not so peaty, quite light, quite floral ..... if only the dram tasted like this!

Deactivated Member

Glenesk 26y Duncan Taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:47 pm

I have a rare treat tonight:

Glenesk, 26y, Duncan Taylor Once again thanks to Pit for this super sample, a 26y Glenesk from Duncan taylor. It's rich, dark and obviously heavily sherried. I also think it's somewhere around 54% ABV.

Glass: Spiegelau
Nose: There's something very slightly pungent in the background. Something a little medicinal or phenolic. But that's only hinted at in the distance. In the fore is a wonderfully rich sherried dram. There's Oak, currants, toasted prunes (can you toast them?) and even a slight hint of rubber.

Palate: Initially silky and rich, turning into a slight burn as the alcohol kicks in. The initial flavour is creamy caramel, but this soon opens into almost everything described in the nose, plus hints of nuts and even a slight suggestion of molasses.
This is good, creamy, silky, rich and one for my Christmas list if I can find one!

Finish: Loooooooooooooong, very long.

Overall Impression: An excellent sherried dram. These days, when we talk of sherried we often think A'Bunadh, but this one is much more approachable and less in your face than the Aberlour. It's also more rounded and slightly more complex than a Mortlach.
I like it!

Dear Santa .....................

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:57 pm

With just 5 drops of water in a good 2cl, this really livens up.
Still smooth, still creamy, but now much more lively with a tingle on the tongue and an even longer finish.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”