Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Danny
Bronze Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:32 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby Danny » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:54 pm

Lawrence, you may already know, but in case you don't. There is a new Wine and Spirits shop in Calgary, Centre Street North Wine and Spirits.

They are having their 1st Annual Whisky Festival February 27th. David Michiels is hosting it and he is also procuring the shops Whisky stock.

I can get more info for you if interested.

plainly jane
Bronze Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:08 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby plainly jane » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:34 pm

Happy Christmas!

What a great way to start the day! It is almost noon in Calgary (start the day you say...). I knew what my picks for the day would be before opening my eyes.

Yesterday was a priming day for today. I shared several drams with young Andrew Ferguson at the Kensington Wine Market. Most notable were the Tullibardine 1964 and the Bowmore 1968 37 year old. We had these two as part of the tasting last spring which included the Macallan 50 Lalique (none of that left). The Tullibardine stood the test of time opened for 9 months. The Bowmore, however, changed dramatically. It became very grassy with floral accents. Do not get me wrong, it is still wonderful.

Today, I am going to have some of the following:
Auchentoshan 21year-this is an 8am breakfast dram (I over slept but...)
Tullibardine Moscatel finish-this is an elevenses dram and I know it is now 1210 but...whatever
Dalmore Cigar Malt-usually for after 8pm
Highland Park 12 year-after 4pm
Bruichladdich Blacker Still-after dinner, whether or not dinner is served at 5 or at 8
All of these are leading up to...
Strathisla 1960, 46 years, Gordon & MacPhail, bottled for the KWM, 58.2%abv (imagine that, after 46 years)-anytime of day, ambient temperature or location

I opened the Strathisla on my birthday (Dec 7) and shared it with my friends at KWM. It was great fun. The tasting notes provided on their website I find to be in-tune with my palate. It will be my later evening before bed dram. I know I will sleep well (also being whisky number 6 of the day!)

I hope your day is to be as brilliant as mine will be, or even better.

pj

plainly jane
Bronze Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:08 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby plainly jane » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Happy Christmas Danny,

I have marked down Feb 27 for the CSN festival. Perhaps we will meet there.

Jane

Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:47 pm

Sounds like a really nice Christmas over there plainly jane!! Enjoy the rest of it, all the best. :mrgreen:

clicker7
Silver Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Redmond Washington

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby clicker7 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:47 pm

Tonight we will begin the evening with Highland Park 15 to warm us a bit, then move on to Aberlour 16 D. C., and finish the night with a dram or two of Talisker 18.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!

Joseph

Danny
Bronze Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:32 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby Danny » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:36 pm

plainly jane wrote:Happy Christmas Danny,

I have marked down Feb 27 for the CSN festival. Perhaps we will meet there.

Jane


Hi Jane, Merry Christmas. Unfortunately I will be out of town for the the CSN festival. There is a Bruichladdich tasting at CSN on January 21 that I will attend.

Have a great New Years.

Danny
Bronze Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:32 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby Danny » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:40 pm

clicker7 wrote:Tonight we will begin the evening with Highland Park 15 to warm us a bit, then move on to Aberlour 16 D. C., and finish the night with a dram or two of Talisker 18.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!

Joseph


Joseph, sounds like you had a good sampling on Christmas Day. I received a Aberlour 16 D.C. for Xmas. Have not opened it yet. How is it?

Lawrence
Matured cask
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:22 am

Danny wrote:
clicker7 wrote:Tonight we will begin the evening with Highland Park 15 to warm us a bit, then move on to Aberlour 16 D. C., and finish the night with a dram or two of Talisker 18.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!

Joseph


Joseph, sounds like you had a good sampling on Christmas Day. I received a Aberlour 16 D.C. for Xmas. Have not opened it yet. How is it?


Danny, sorry to jump in but I have the Aberlour 16 DM and enjoy it greatly. Also can you send me some info on the CSN Festival?

Danny
Bronze Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:32 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby Danny » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:46 am

Lawrence wrote:
Danny, sorry to jump in but I have the Aberlour 16 DM and enjoy it greatly. Also can you send me some info on the CSN Festival?


Lawrence, glad you did. Thanks for the info. How are things in Victoria.

The CSN Festival is on February 27th, 7 to 9 PM. Cost is $50 per ticket. I talked to David last week and he thought they would have around 70 expressions there. There will be some prinicple reps and I think some local reps. I got the impression that David is hosting this one and wants to turn it into a bigger event next year.

clicker7
Silver Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Redmond Washington

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby clicker7 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:58 am

Joseph, sounds like you had a good sampling on Christmas Day. I received a Aberlour 16 D.C. for Xmas. Have not opened it yet. How is it?


Danny:

As Lawrence mentioned it is great! One of my favorites.

Nose: Very big -- sherry, fruits, honey, citrus, vanilla.
Palate: Full/ sweet, sugar/ fruits, sherry, vanilla/oak.

I love the 16 DC , I find it has more depth and complexity than the 12yr old (which is lovely also).

I think you will enjoy it..

Joseph
Last edited by clicker7 on Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:03 am

Tonight was my evening of nice whisky tasting and drinking at a friend's, but I'll report tomorrow what I was lucky to enjoy.

Lawrence
Matured cask
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Favourite Christmas Whisky (21st December)

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:54 am

Danny wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Danny, sorry to jump in but I have the Aberlour 16 DM and enjoy it greatly. Also can you send me some info on the CSN Festival?


Lawrence, glad you did. Thanks for the info. How are things in Victoria.

The CSN Festival is on February 27th, 7 to 9 PM. Cost is $50 per ticket. I talked to David last week and he thought they would have around 70 expressions there. There will be some prinicple reps and I think some local reps. I got the impression that David is hosting this one and wants to turn it into a bigger event next year.


Hi Danny, thanks for the information. I doubt if I will be able to attend this year but you never know.......


Return to “Whisky Tastings”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests