The Glenlivet Tasting - 16th Nov 2007 - Part 1

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: The Glenlivet Forum Tasting - 16th Nov 2007

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:04 am

Ganga wrote:Cripes, a big piece of brass just went through the front window. Had to clean up all the shards before the kids get cut.
Now, where was I? Oh yes, I have the Trader Joe's bottling of Glenlivet 15 40% (Alexander Murray & Co)...and five glasses. :D
Ardbeg noser, Celtic Malts, glencairn, small brandy and a tumbler.
Ganga:
...a big piece of brass???? Where the heck do you live?

Now, when you are nosing and tasting with 5 glasses, (oh and is Mikey on the line again?) how much do you put in each?

Muskrat

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:17 am

Ganga wrote:First the tumbler.

Glenlivet 15, TJs Alexander Murray, 40%
Nose : light citrus-tangerine, fresh oak, a litter estery
Palate : oakiness, citrus, something I can't quite identify yet
Finish : a lingering oakiness with a slight burn
Comment : I may have to reconsider young Glenlivet and Trader Joe's bottlings.

Pineapple? I find that holding the dram in my mouth a bit longer, as opined earlier on the forum, really does pick up more flavours.
Peter

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:30 am

Oh, you're done? Y'know, I feel bad about how these tastings seem to run out just after you guys get home from work. It's gotta be a frustration for you. It would be better if some of the folks in the Central parts of the country were able to chime in and keep things active for a couple of hours.

I've been flitting around the forums and keeping half an eye on the tastings for new postings but with only two samples don't have a lot to add over what I've already posted. I've quite enjoyed your comments and have learned , as I always do, from your postings.

Too bad you can't take a half day off next Friday and come to play with the Europeans. However, your familial responsibilities will take priority over anything else, and rightly so.

Muskrat

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:48 am

Mikeymad & Ganga:
Excellent, unless Mrs Musky creates plans between now and then, I'll be here around 11:00 am your time.
Peter

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:07 am

Well I have to say that was great last night and having Ian Logan on line was fantastic. He pointed out things to look for that I would have never found on my own. It made me appreciate my whisky in a more in depth way. Thanks to Ian and Matt for arranging it. Also all the contributions made by everyone. This morning I had over 100 emails to delete from my inbox about the tasting alone.

Ps to Matt the live page worked brilliantly this time thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

:)

Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:48 pm

Yes, thanks alot to Ian who stayed for a long time, and everyone else for taking part.

Sorry to say I had some food, chocolate fudge cake and a few glasses of the 18 and then fell asleep. :dead:

Looking forward to part 2 next week. Will be interesting to come back to them and see what else we can discover, and hopefully the samples will arrive in time.

:thumbsup:

Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:03 am

Matt, is there a tasting on the 23rd?

Same time and details?

Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:10 am

Hi Danny, yes another one tonight, same place, same time. And Ian Logan will be back to answer more of your questions. Had a little Nadurra last, beautiful stuff - looking forward to having another one tonight.

A new topic will be created later for tonights tastings.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:20 am

A shame I missed the last one and probably won't be online too much tonight either.

In my last round of Gourmet evenings I used The Glenilivet French Oak twice; firstly with a duck breast dish, but secondly with a herb-crusted lamb dish - this was truly excellent and the French Oak was voted best whisky of the evening.

As I haven't worked out how to "quote" from one discussion to another, I am cutting & pasting a comment from my "Whisky & Food Combination" discussion ............ à la Les style:

Firstly, I will report that the Glenlivet French Oak was voted the best whisky of the evening.
As for the best whisky - food combination:
They were all brilliant, the Glenlivet and lamb was even better than the same Glenlivet with duck last time, which I wouldn't have believed, as that was also fantastic.
Matt - the 'erbs were not very powerful. The lamb had a mustard crust which contained some herbs, but the herbs were not prominent or overpowering which made the combination so good.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:24 am

As a little aside for Ian,
At the moment there is no Glenlivet in my selection of (63) whiskies at my pub, but I intend to change this soon. I will probably add one of The Glenlivet special releases rather than a standard issue and I may well be using more Glenlivet in future tastings and Gourmet evenings.

So, Ian, if you have any spare Glenlivet promotional material, perhaps some leaflets or small brochures in English, I would appreciate a few if they could be sent to me in Germany.

Many thanks in advance,
MT

Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Re: The Glenlivet Tasting - 16th Nov 2007 - Part 1

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:11 pm

Matt,

I have already sent a PM to MT(too may initials ) with some suggestions and what we can do on the way forward.
As for Glenlivet XXV in the US, it will be early next year when it goes on domestic release.

Matt2

Re: The Glenlivet Tasting - 16th Nov 2007 - Part 1

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks Ian, but in the wrong topic!
Updated the live tasting page, you will need to close it and go back in so it posts in the right topic.

:thumbsup:

Return to “Whisky Tastings”