May 2011 - BACK TO BASICS

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re: May 2011 - BACK TO BASICS

Postby The Third Dram » Sun May 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Early Sunday afternoon here Sean, and I'm following up last night's twosome with...

Glengoyne 12 Year Old Cask Strength - 57.2%

Nose: Overripe pears and apples laced with gingery oak. Some orange zest too.

Palate: Viscous and very fruit laden mouth feel initially. Then the spices and alcohol hit hard. Despite the high strength, the whisky evens out fairly rapidly, permitting the pepper and ginger to play off nicely against notions of nuts and cream.

Now with a drop of water added...

Nose: Pretty much the same except that there's now an additional hint of honey. Furthermore, the orange zest has broadened to include even more citrusy lemon notes. Very clean and fresh overall.

Palate: I sense that typically Glengoyne solid core of barley malt emerging more forcefully now, and occupying center stage as the other nuances fall somewhat to the side. Very clean and quite salivating, all told. The spicy oak then kicks in toward the finish.

Comment: This one never seems to really 'fit in' as a logical stepping stone between the demure, easy drinking 10 Year Old and the more luxurious 17 Year Old. It is, instead, very much its own beast. I could happily alternate between this one and Glenlivet Nàdurra Cask Strength on many a summer evening. As evidence, my current bottle's almost 'toast'.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun May 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Scapa 12 Year Old - 40% (older Allied release)

Nose: Rich and ripe pear-mango fragrance from the very first whiff that's made all the more sumptuous by those momentary flashes of dune grass, salt and subtle smoke. Perhaps even a suggestion of pie crust, too.

Palate: Sweetness and dryness so tautly bound together that they coalesce into something neither sweet nor dry. Delicately spiced pears in honey. Soft and yet firm as clean ex-Bourbon oak deposits an overlay of vanilla cream. Those seashore notes then drift casually back into the picture.

Comment: OK. It's admittedly not a GREAT whisky. And I can only imagine what it would have been like bottled at higher strength. But it's still a lovely example of Scapa's charms, and head and shoulders above the comparatively lifeless 14 Year Old that took its place.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Mon May 16, 2011 2:01 pm

pkt77242 wrote:Doug have you had the 16yo? if so how does it comare to the 12 and 14 for you?

I haven't, Sean. And given its rather mediocre overall assessment by reviewers, not to mention the fact that a bottle runs well over CDN$100 in my neck of the woods, I'm shying away from purchasing any. There's just too much of greater merit in that price range for me to be attracted to the new Scapa.

Unless I find myself in a bar that stocks it, of course. :wink:

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue May 24, 2011 4:43 pm

pkt77242 wrote:
Ganga wrote:Balvenie 12 DW.

Nose: honey, heather and dry grasses, roasted apples, some very light smokiness
Palate: fruit salad, honey on toast, late summer grass
Finish: lingering sweetness-honey

Do you get any flavors from the sherry? as I don't see any in your notes.

From what I can recall of this Balvenie are not really the sherry notes but more like the honey flavours and most of all that thick, creamy, silky butter scotch taste.

BTW, this thread was a really good idea if you ask me. It's in many ways an eye opener for me to read what people think of these 'basic' whiskies. :thumbsup:

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Wed May 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Has anyone written down some notes on the Bailie Nicol Jarvie? I've tried this one a few years ago and I really loved it. In fact, I'm thinking of buying one for my father-in-law's birthday next month.

dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
johan brugge wrote:Has anyone written down some notes on the Bailie Nicol Jarvie? I've tried this one a few years ago and I really loved it. In fact, I'm thinking of buying one for my father-in-law's birthday next month.

I've got some somewhere Johan. I'll look it out and write a note. I agree its really good.

Agreed X 3. I've bought many bottles and turned many of my casual whisky drinking aquaintances onto this one.

dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sun May 29, 2011 10:10 am

Ganga wrote:overripe doesn't bother me. It's the underripe which makes the whisky on the bitter side.

Which can also be fine IMO if it's balanced by the sweetness of other fruity notes. In other words I'm partial to bitter/sweet notes and flavours.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”