May 2011 - BACK TO BASICS

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: May 2011 - BACK TO BASICS

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 06, 2011 5:05 am

pkt77242 wrote:Will be back with some Speyside 12 soon.

Is that a threat?

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 06, 2011 5:16 am

Bit of an oddity to start but this is from a working distillery that happens to be the oldest commercial whisky distillery in Japan(1919) and this one can be purchased in Europe.

White Oak(Eigashima) Distillery SM Aged 5 Years. 45 per cent alcohol.

Nose: The colour is honey and the nose follows suit. Is this only 5 years old? No roughness at all! Also soft oak, tinned apricots, pear, treacle and fresh dough. Smooth and balanced.

Palate: Honey and treacle on crumpets, soft oak, pear, dough, nutmeg and ginger.

Finish: Nicely spicy, yet also creamy, with good length. Some mineral-like qualities and lingering.........lingering smoke.
Really fantastic for the age.
Rating: 86/100
Last edited by dramtastic on Fri May 06, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 06, 2011 5:31 am

Yoichi NAS 43%

Nose: Quite chunky malt for a young'n. Some pine and big bowl of diced stone fruits of apricot/peach/nectarine.

Palate: Fairly light and smooth to start. Malt, bubblegum, a little salt, some nuttyness then a some pepper.

Finish: Short/medium with pepper, nuts, malt and chocolate.
You'd drink this every day for the 10-12 bucks you pay for it in Japan
81/100
Last edited by dramtastic on Fri May 06, 2011 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 06, 2011 5:45 am

Miyagikyo NAS 43%

Nose: Is grassy, toffeed, citrussy and floral(cherry bloosoms?). Well balance and quite delightful.

Palate: Nicely creamy texture. Bubblegum(like the Yoichi NAS), sweet flower petals, cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate, malt, then a little grassy again.

Finish: Is short-medium, sweet with bubblegum malt and spice.

Prefer this to the Yoichi NAS.

83/100

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 am

Ganga wrote:Tomatin 12 (it was handy)

Nose: nutmeg (is this from reading notes above), cinnamon, banana nut bread
Palate: pumpkin, all spice, oranges, cedar shavings
Finish: bold, rich and spicy

Sounds allright G!

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 am

Hakushu 12 43%

Nose: Very fresh. Ultra clean black pepper, banana, vanilla custard, lemon tart, soap flakes, peat. Invigorating.

Palate: Pepper as if it's straight from the shaker into the malt but balanced. Earthy peat, banana over oats, toffee, cream, some orange and lemon.

Finish: Is medium length, with peppery spice and underpinned by clean malt and lingering earthy peat.

Recommended

87/100

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Fri May 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Ganga wrote:Glenfiddich 12, bought in early 2011

Nose: malt, green apples, light dry spices
Palate: cinnamon over sliced Granny Smith apples, cracked barley, straw
Finish: Moderate, but the maltiness builds.

I couldn't have said it better than you, Rich! I totally agree with the Granny Smith apples. I think it's even quite dominant at first when you've just openend the bottle.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Fri May 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Ganga wrote:Sean's just trying to save it for himself. :P

Ok, I can be encouraged to add one...the one most handy.

Old Pulteney 12 (from Xmas gift box-2010)

Nose: gristy sea air, heather honey, peaches and cream
Palate: sweet bread (not sweet breads), honey, honeydew with sprinkled salt
Finish: long, salty and sweet

Really is the best OP 12 I've had. The aromas and palate just POP.

Nice notes, but I have kind of a hard time with the sweet bread. It's sweet(er) yes, but bread? Hmm ... It is indeed quite salty, soft and delicate. I never owned a OP12, but about 2 years ago I bought one for my father-in-law. And of course I helped him finish the bottle, although he did a pretty good job himself. He claimed there must have been a tiny crack in the bottle as it was emptied kinda fast. :mrgreen:

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Fri May 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Chivas Regal 12yo.

Nose: kinda softly fruited (apples?), flowers, honey too with some fress hay. Some gentle sherryness pops up.

Palate: oily body, a tiny bit peppery and spicy. The fruityness stays more on the background.

Finish: middle long, but some more fresh fruits like in the nose this time.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 am

Lagavulin 16yo OB

Nose: very peaty and smoky with some sherry sweetness to it. A little briny too with some salt. And yet I can smell some burnt plastic too.

Palate: pretty much the same as in the nose (exept for the burnt plastic). But then there is some more ash kind of taste that comes along.

Finish: powerfull, peaty and smoky again.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat May 07, 2011 12:39 am

Ardbeg Ten this time. My absolute favourite 'basic' Islay whisky.

Nose: smoky, brine, seaweedy, peaty (of course), ashes but there is something 'sharp' to it. I's not a soft, sweet nose.

Palate: do you like a peated and smoked smack in your face? I do. Brilliant whisky.

Finish: peaty and smoky and everything else I like about Islay whiskies.

Damn good whisky this is. I haven't tasted a bad batch so far. (touch wood ...)

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat May 07, 2011 5:32 am

Ganga wrote:
pkt77242 wrote:Glenfiddich 12 bought around Christmas 2010

N: cinnamon apples, granny smith apples, spices, a little barley and some vanilla. A touch of oak.
P: Dutch apple pie with a touch of vanilla. Apples, apples and apples, cinnamon and maybe a touch of brown sugar.
F: medium short on apples, vanilla, cinnamon and some barley.

Much better than my bottle form 4-5 years ago. Not a great whisky as it lacks complexity but rather enjoyable.

Just checking your notes versus mine. Note the apples in both...green apples. I like the fruitiness of the 12 compared to the malty structure in had 10 years ago.

Guess their(Glenfiddich) lastest advertising for this one is spot on then.

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat May 07, 2011 5:43 am

Nikka Pure Malt Black. 43%
Nose: A little bit floral. Peaches, oak, peat, varnish, and pineapple. Malty, complex and smooth.
Palate: Very malty, bubblegum (again from Nikka), pepper, nutmeg, sweet peat and gentle smoke. Well rounded.
Finish: Excellent length, with peat, pepper, nutmeg, mint chocolate and lingering smoke.

86/100

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat May 07, 2011 5:47 am

Nikka Pure Malt White 43%
This whisky is a vatting of Yoichi malt and an Islay whisky.
Nose: There is a good whiff of peat as well as walnuts, wet moss, leather, sea spray, pepper, wood stain (after breathing for a while) and nectarines. After some time, there is a hint of lemon.
Palate: Nicely oily (nut oil). The peat comes through big time. Also charcoal, pepper and a slight bitterness. The second sip adds walnuts, creamy macadamia and a kind of minted toffee to the picture.
Finish: Medium length with earthy/vegetal peat dominating; macadamia, spice and mint. Slightly drying.

87/100

MaltMartyr

Postby MaltMartyr » Sat May 07, 2011 5:55 am

Laphroaig 10 year old, 43% ABV

A well balanced sweet, smoky, a bit oily, licorice twig spice(minimal) peated iodine bonfire fit for a beach, snowstorm, or a break from the tedious challenges on a tallship crew. This single malt is a favorite of Prince Charles for obvious reasons. It remains on my best buy list and can range from $26.99 to $65.00, but can be easily purchased for under $60. This is a distinct Islay worth placing side by side to Ardbeg 10 for peat lovers.

I disagree with Ralfy. I liked it the moment that I tried it, but it was lost among other expressions with excessive peat expressions for a year.

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat May 07, 2011 5:58 am

Nikka All Malt. 40%
Nose: Maybe I've been sucked in by the name but this does indeed smell very malty. Lots of chewy toffee, walnuts, fresh cut timber, pears and pineapple.
Palate: Again nicely malty; pineapple, lemon sherbet, walnuts, nutmeg, dried mixed herbs and pepper.
Finish: Medium length: warming, malty and medium spiced.
Only costs about $10-12 in Japan
84/100.

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat May 07, 2011 6:19 am

Suntory Hibiki 12

Nose: Pinapple, fermented pear, licorice, fresh oak, varnish, more grainy than malty(it's usually the other way around with Nikka blends). After a while there is a hint of leather.

Palate: Fairly smooth if a little spirity. Adds oranges to the licorice, pear and oak. Then some sweetened grapefruit comes into play.

Finish: Medium length with the flavours of the palate with chocolate on top.

84/100

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat May 07, 2011 6:49 am

Mars Moltage Komagatake 10 Sherry Butt
Nose: Honey, sherry, blood oranges, lime, a little bit of oak, a kind of burnt toffee smell, and something maritime, like seaweed.
Palate: It is biscuity, with some bitter chocolate, nuts, malt, toffee and smoke.
Finish: Mainly toffee, nuts, smoke and some lingering bitterness.

This distillery has just started production again in Japan at this 10YO is available(older stock).
Nothing really wrong with this one it's just not my cuppa tea. You would probably really like it if you are a fan of HP12.
79/100

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat May 07, 2011 9:37 am

pkt77242 wrote:Nice notes Johan, I love how the Ardbeg 10 smacks you in the face with it's peatiness. Did you get any citrus from it?

No, not really. There is some sort of a sharp edge to it but I wouldn't call it citrus. I get citrus with the latest Supernova though. The smack in my face ususally takes a short while before it actually hits me. When I take a sip I can clearly taste the peat and smoke and all of a sudden there is a taste explosion and I get the shivers. Literally. That's when I get smacked in my face. Do you know that commercial 'Have you been spingoed yet?" where that orange fellow pops up and smacks people with both hands in their faces? Well, that's exactly it.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat May 07, 2011 9:41 am

dramtastic wrote:Nikka Pure Malt White 43%
This whisky is a vatting of Yoichi malt and an Islay whisky.
Nose: There is a good whiff of peat as well as walnuts, wet moss, leather, sea spray, pepper, wood stain (after breathing for a while) and nectarines. After some time, there is a hint of lemon.
Palate: Nicely oily (nut oil). The peat comes through big time. Also charcoal, pepper and a slight bitterness. The second sip adds walnuts, creamy macadamia and a kind of minted toffee to the picture.
Finish: Medium length with earthy/vegetal peat dominating; macadamia, spice and mint. Slightly drying.

87/100

This sounds like a 'must buy' kind of whisky. :thumbsup:

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat May 07, 2011 9:43 am

pkt77242 wrote:Highland Park 12 flask style bottle

N: Big notes of honey, heather, smoked ham, and a little peat and orange.
P: Big honey, heather and smoked ham (close to the nose). Then some very sweet orange, a hint of raisin and some peat. Some salt as well.
F: Medium on sweet orange, honey and lots of salt. keeps getting saltier as it lingers on the tongue.

Less sweet than when I first opened the bottle

Very nice notes, Sean. That's exactly how I feel about the HP12yo, but I never really liked this version. Neither the old style nor the new style.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat May 07, 2011 9:46 am

Ganga wrote:I usually have found some fresh oakiness to the Chivas. Is there any of this that is apparent.?

No, not in my bottle. :mrgreen:

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat May 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I'll post some more notes tonight or tomorrow. It's my youngest First Communion. Don't know if this proper English or not so I'm not sure that I can join you again this evening.

MaltMartyr

Re: May 2011 - BACK TO BASICS - Laphroaig 10 y.o.

Postby MaltMartyr » Sun May 08, 2011 3:51 am

Ganga wrote:I find that I much prefer the Lappy 10 to the QC (to each his own). At various times it has been a big beach bonfire with brownies other times it's a bonfire with apples (very fruity).

I agree, Ganga. The QC has a distinct flavor that I enjoy, but have a taste for less often than the 10 y.o. or Cask Strength Laphroig.

MaltMartyr

Postby MaltMartyr » Sun May 08, 2011 3:54 am

Springbank CV, 46% ABV

Type: No Age Statement [NAS] Single Malt Whisky

Avg. Price: $39.99

Nose: Smoke, maritime-like peat, honey, campfire, some subtle citrus.
Palate/Finish: Peaty smoky honeyed aged ginger ale with lime citrusy flavors and a refined spicy finish. It’s the type of small bubbled club soda and spice like, yet satisfying mouth feel that lingers well. This is not an Islay, but a well balanced no age statement Campbeltown. It is a great introduction to Springbank without as much spice and bravado that some Springbank expressions may bring to a newcomers glass.

MaltMartyr

Postby MaltMartyr » Sun May 08, 2011 7:08 am

Ganga wrote:MM, it seems like the peat/smoke is much more forward in this expression than other Springbanks. Is this true?

Yes, definitely!

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sun May 08, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm back again. Here are my notes of a Longrow CV I had late last year.

Nose: very soft, peaty and slightly smoky but above all: nice!! With water: WOOW!!

Palate: Lots of pepper, a bit of citrus, a tad of peat and smoke followed by these typical Campbelltown characteristics (minerals, fress hay, ...). When I added some water I nearly had to chew this whisky.

Finish: Again lots of pepper, slightly peated and some citrus.

Would I buy one of these? No, don't think so. Too much pepper to my liking.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sun May 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Nikka from the barrel this time.

Nose: Quite alcoholic at first, but after that it's just wonderfull. Spices, flowers, some honey, vanilla.

Palate:Sugar candy that tastes like oranges is the first thing I'm thinking. Spices too. With water: doesn't change much to the palate, but the spices are still a bit dominant.

Finish: Spicy, some citrus, rather short but it doesn't bother me at all.

This is a very good 'basic Japanese whisky'. Really.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon May 09, 2011 10:08 am

Ganga wrote:From this I get the impression that the whisky was not what you wanted rather than a poor whisky.

Exactly. I'm glad I tried it and I like it, but it's not really my style. Mind you, it's a good whisky ... if you don't mind the pepper. I feel the same about the Talisker 10yo. If you like this one, you'll like the Longrow CV as well. I've also tried the Springbank CV and that's got even more white pepper than the Longrow. At least IMHO.

MaltMartyr

Postby MaltMartyr » Tue May 10, 2011 4:16 am

johan brugge wrote:
Ganga wrote:From this I get the impression that the whisky was not what you wanted rather than a poor whisky.

Exactly. I'm glad I tried it and I like it, but it's not really my style. Mind you, it's a good whisky ... if you don't mind the pepper. I feel the same about the Talisker 10yo. If you like this one, you'll like the Longrow CV as well. I've also tried the Springbank CV and that's got even more white pepper than the Longrow. At least IMHO.

One more point, the more recent U.S. Release of Springbank CV has a slightly spiced club soda-like finish to me. It doesn't end with pepper, but it seems more subtle and arguably white, not black pepper. However, earlier on, when I was not as sensitive to the food that I ate before dramming I also found more pepper was revealed in the Talisker 10 y.o. than I liked, as well.

Over time, I occasionally purchased a dram and tended to drink Talisker 10 before dinner, after milder food, or with a sufficient break after a meal. I eventually found Talisker 10 more enjoyable and acquired a taste for it. The 10 y.o. is unique and some newcomers like it. In addition, the Talisker 10 seems like a more common expression in bars over the last five years.

In hindsight, I'd have likely 'favored' the Springbank CV and Longrow CV over the Talisker 10 y.o. when I started sampling and a few years thereafter. Now, I appreciate each, so there is a bottle of each in my cabinets. I think that Springbank CV is more mild than Talisker 10 y.o. at a minimum; perhaps milder than Longrow CV, as well. However, Springbank CV has a unique finish all to its own. The peat is a Campbeltown peat, but not as pronounced as most recent Glen Scotia Official expressions.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 pm

johan brugge wrote:
Ganga wrote:I usually have found some fresh oakiness to the Chivas. Is there any of this that is apparent.?

No, not in my bottle. :mrgreen:

You might by right there after all, Ganga!

Alzarius

Postby Alzarius » Fri May 13, 2011 5:44 am

The Glenlivet 12

Bottle is about halfway gone, opened 2 weeks ago

N: Fruit-driven, of the apple and pears kind of fruit, hints of vanilla
P: Soft, some nuts, more apples and pears, touch of spice at the end
F: Toast, vanilla, can't get much else

I think a very spicy dinner kind of killed my taste buds a little on this one, as it was a bit more fruity to me on previous occasions.

Alzarius

Postby Alzarius » Fri May 13, 2011 6:01 am

Will do :D Looking at your notes for this several days ago, I can see it just like that too when I had it on previous occasions. It's just that tonight this is a tad muted after a spicy meal.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun May 15, 2011 3:24 am

Islay Mist 12 Year Old - 40%

Nose: Bakery spiced apple-pear compote with a drop of honey. Then a cooling sensation of wet slate and moist grass followed by far more phenolic scents.

Palate: Smooth, glycerine-like entry that twists nicely from sweet fruit'n'malt notions to drier oak and peat infused tones. Just enough of a bittersweet bite to balance out the otherwise rather easy going nature of the mid palate presentation. Firms up considerably toward the finish as vegetal, oily and sooty nuances kick in left, right and center.

Comment: What it lacks in serene sophistication when compared to its 17-year old sibling, it more than makes up for with its greater sense of liveliness and Islay punch. A quite excellent blend.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun May 15, 2011 3:45 am

Benriach Curiositas 10 Year Old - 46%

Nose: Poached pears and coal tar with a scent of animal sweat. Some anise peeking through tonight as well.

Palate: The peat fuses so incredibly effortlessly with the oak, and this combo then proceeds to flow right into notions of honeyed banana-pear purée and sourdough batter, only for the whole to be taken to the next level by an infusion of peppery heat. As matters gradually settle down near the close, a demure sensation of ground almonds emerges.

Comment: Can't get enough of this one!

Return to “Whisky Tastings”