"Keep the Peat Logs Burning" January Live Tasting

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Re: "Keep the Peat Logs Burning" January Live Tasting

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:07 am

Bruichladdich 15yo 1986 Murray McDavid 46 %

Nose: Very gentle peat and little bit of smoke. Seaweed, cereals and a bit of vanilla.

Palate: The same as the nose. Just brilliant!

Finish: Rather short, cereals, sweetish, peaty. I really like this one a lot. Value for money as I payed only 56 € or so last year.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 am

It certainly is, Sean. It just blew me away.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 am

Lagavulin 14yo Vanilla Sky for The Whisky Fair

I'm not going to write a tasting note because this is first dram of a newly opened bottle. I'll post a note after a few weeks.
At first nosing it is clearly a Lagavulin, only a lot less sweet than the standard 16yo OB. It's almost a nice change. Maybe it's not as complex as one would think but it's more straight forward. Lots of peat, a little less smoke and maritime. The same for the palate. After the first sip I didn't really like it all that much but after a long while it just gets better and better.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:37 am

One more before I'm off again. Not so long ago I tried a sample of Ledaig 2001-2010 61 % The Nectar Of The Daily Drams.

Nose: Very intriguing. Very peaty, smokey and yet there is something sweet like honey or flowers. Really nice. If I didn't know any better I'd say it's an Ardbeg or something like that.

Palate: Again lots of peat, smoke, seaweed, zesty, zingy and again this sweet fruity flavour. It reminds me of a chewing gum called 'Bazooka'. Don't know if you've heard of this. It's a big strongly fruit flavoured chewing gum (mainly on strawberries).

Finish: Very powerfull. Long. Excellent! This is on my wish list for sure.

AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:21 am

I forget everything I read yesterday, but it seems Bowmore is slightly under represented (correct me if I am wrong).

McClelland's Islay
(NAS Bowmore Single Malt)
Color: Light Amber
Nose: Great malt aroma, with slight hints of smoke, and sweet peat. Also incredibly floral with heather and lavender. Dare I say it also has a slight hint of what I've come to associate as toasted oak, with perhaps a slight bourbon note.
Taste: Sweet, with subtle hints of smoke. I can not get past how sweet it is, although today I am picking up some rather off putting notes ( perhaps a bit too much pepper). Though the taste does have a definite marine character, with hints of salt and seaweed. I know I say apples in a lot of my reviews, but this one has hints of a cinnamon apple sauce.
Body: Light and oily.
Finish: Dry and smokey, rather reminds me a bit of breating in second hand smoke through my mouth.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:23 pm

pkt77242 wrote:Johan, you are officially making me jealous.

Ha! If you ever get the chance to try or buy this one, don't hesitate. I tried this Ledaig before I stumbled on a tasting note by Serge Valentin. I could really relate to his notes. Here it is:

Ledaig 8 yo 2001/2010 (61%, The Nectar of the Daily Drams) Five stars Colour: white wine. Nose: Ardbeg??? Seriously, this is just like a young un-bourbonized Ardbeg. Flinty, zesty, coastal, very peaty, crystal-clean, with notes of seaweed and fresh oysters, a little lemon and no dirtiness at all (while earlier young Ledaigs could be a tad dirty-ish in my book). It's quite stunning I must say... With water: and now come the wet dogs (yeah, we're sorry, dogs!) and clothes. 'An old Harris tweed jacket after a walk on the beach under the rain' - yeah well... Also a little cane sugar. Mouth (neat): maybe a wee tad less Ardbeggian, just a wee tad. Ultra-clean again, extremely zesty and zingy, lemony, with a very 'chiselled' peatiness. Impressive and dangerously drinkable at 61% vol. With water: a little sweeter, with also a bigger earthiness. Finish: very long, very clean, very peaty. Comments: surprisingly good and definitely Islay-inspired. Also reminds me of an old 14yo 'Tobermory' by Sestante bearing a very Germanic label. Anyway, all very great, let's hope there will be more of this breed coming out in the coming months/years. SGP:358 - 91 points.

AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:01 am

Wow, I love Caol Ila too, but you guys are making me wish I had even one bottle of it on hand.

Bowmore Legend [i]NAS[/i\]

Color: Light Hazelnut.
Nose: Warm nutty hints, possibly due to a bit of sherry influence. Warm hints of Leather and Apples, with a slight hint of smoke. A slight hint of peat, but no where near as sweet as the McClelland's Islay.
Taste: Strong, very subdued sweetness, with a nice robust character of apples, smoke, cinnamon and leather.
Finish Dry, with a subtle hint of smoke.

Incredibly confusing to me, as right now this reminds me of a smoked and peated Glenfiddich, than anything that is uniquely from Islay.

AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:17 am

The Black Bottle
Color: Medium Gold
Aroma: Sweet peat, Salt, Iodine, hint of smoke and seaweed. Like a small fire on the seashore.
Body: Medium and oily.
Taste: Toast and smoke, with a nice bit of salt. Incredibly sweet and decently fruity, notably pears.
Finish: Lingering sweetness, with something I will call peat.

Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:11 am

Damn, I missed another live tasting. :evil:
There should be an early warning system for people like me.

Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:56 am

Bunnahabhain 2005 4yo 57.7% The Exclusive Mallts.
The best peated Bunna I've ever had. The sweetness is just perfect. The whisky tastes young but doesn't taste as young as 4yo to me. Heavy peat with a lot of alcohol and a lot of sweetness, what else do you want?
:D

Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Thank you for that Willie.
:)

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Expression - Ardbeg Mor
Year - 1996 ???
Age - 10yo
ABV - 57.3%
Cask / Bottle No. - Ex-Bourbon / 25 of 1000
Colour - Honey Gold
Nose - loads of Wet peat at first , then Lemon citric . Then the Ardbeg Chocolate and creamy coffee comes through . A hint of pine nuts right at the end with peat smoke.
Palate - Huge peat at the front of the palate , then as it crosses over the tongue creamy fudge , chocolate and a touch of lemon .
Finish - long and huge peat with lemon and a hint of iodine .
Comments - 10yo , Caskstrength and in a 4 and a half Litre bottle......just as Ardbeg should be ! We need more 10yo at Caskstrength......

Return to “Whisky Tastings”