US Whiskies November 19-30, 2010

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: US Whiskies November 19-30, 2010

Postby AdamMY » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:47 am

Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

I happened to have bought a half bottle of this in the past at least I believe it was the same age and found it phenomenal hopefully this one is the same.

Color is a nice medium amber color. And it is aromas like this that make me realize why I love whiskey in the first place. There is something about the aroma in a higher quality bourbon, Loads of vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger, perhaps even the slightest hint of a smoke like character.

Well yes the taste does let me know its 90 proof, but somehow it was strangely invigorating, and cleansing. I dare say the whole wave of vanilla is incredible, with a nice cooling almost mint like effect.

It is not as good as I remember the half bottle being, but then again my taste buds have not yet become accustom to the high alcohol content of Whiskey again.

AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:40 am

Ganga wrote:Old Fitzgerald's 1849 Kentucky Straigh Bourbon Whiskey, 45%

Reddish amber

Nose: grainy, vanilla, generic citrus notes, dried mint leaves
Palate: rough, grainy, butterscotch brittle, butter
Finish: kind of rough and lingering

Just doesn't match up with the previous whiskies.

I have found Bourbon in general seems to be hit or miss, which I am honestly sad to say, because when you get a good one, which at least being in the United States can happen at a quite reasonable price point it can be quite good (almost preferable to many mid level Scotches in my opinion). But at times it can be so incredibly rough and harsh that it really can call into question your previous experiences.

Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Oops, missed this tasting saturday. But I had this:

Elijah Craig 12yo small batch 47%.

Plenty of oak (both charred and saw dust like), coconut, mandarin and grapefruit peels on the nose. Much the same on the palate except less coconut and more lemon than grape and some mint. Finish is really fresh with citrus, cocnut and mint at first. Then oak, vanilla and raspberries become dominant.

I've only had two bourbons before this, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. Didn't like any of them so this was a real surprise. Can't get it at the monopoly, but could I get it at the EUR 21.75 I paid for it in Germany this could easily be my daily dram.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”