Closed Lowland Distillery Tasting

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re: Closed Lowland Distillery Tasting

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:45 am

OK fellows, I'll join in in a somewhat limited fashion, as I only have three 'candidates' on hand. Yes, I'd dearly love to have experienced St. Magdalene in one form or another, but I suppose that will just have to wait for another day. Here goes...

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:57 am

Littlemill 10 Year Old, Distilled 1990 & Bottled 2000 by Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky - 43%ABV

Pale lemon-lime silver gold. Scents of vanilla cake batter and marsh grasses with notions of pepper-laced alcohol. A slippery texture and definite sweetness. Very discreet and soft until a more surly sizzle appears. Thie one needs really healthy swigs to go anywhere at all. Even then, the finish disappears over the edge of the cliff. Sort of like a cream soda version of a Lowlander, and average at best.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:16 am

Got the Littlemill out of my system. :? Now onto hopefully better things...

Rosebank 8 Year Old, Distilled 1989 & Bottled 1998 by Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky - 43%ABV

Bright gold with a canary yellow tone. Refill Sherry casks? Wow... Perfumed! Sweet grass, spruce needles, grapefruit and deep-fried bananas. Floral as well. Spicier on the palate. I'm sensing basil leaves and mint along with licorice and lemon pepper. Hot and buzzy, this one is. Now we're talking!

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:32 am

Last but not least...

Rosebank 8 Year Old, Distilled 1989 & Bottled 1997 by William Cadenhead - 57.9%ABV

Incredibly pale hue, platinum gold at best. I wonder how many times that cask was used? What a fragrance, though. It's like freshly picked grasses and grains enhanced with dried flowers, herbs and something faintly fruity - pear skins? The palate entry is nothing short of explosive. I'm almost reminded of an Alsatian Gewurztraminer eau-de-vie. In fact, I can't recall ever having tasted a Scotch where the wood aspect was so subservient to the malt thrust, except perhaps for Kilchoman's New Spirit.

This one's an absolute stunner, and I'm VERY happy I have another bottle of it squirled away.

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:03 am

Sorry I missed this the other day...I had really intended on participating, but I forgot I was going to be away on Saturday & Sunday.

I'm pouring a dram of SMWS #49.10 now, notes to follow. :D :D

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:17 am

St. Magdalene 26yo ( 59.1%, SMWS Cask #49.10, 1982 )
"A Royal Aperitif"

Glass: SMWS

Nose: A nice mix of sweet fruits, with a hint of honey in the background, then it all becomes a bit drying.

Palate: WOW! Loads of honey sweetness with lots of wonderful floral notes in the background. This whisky has alot going on and is very full in flavor.

Finish: The finish is long and sweet like candied fruits and lasts and lasts.

Comment: Another great cask selection from the SMWS, and certainly another excellent St. Maggie!

Return to “Whisky Tastings”