Bourbon - 6 March 2009 - 7pm GMT

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Matt2

Bourbon - 6 March 2009 - 7pm GMT

Postby Matt2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Welcome to the Bourbon Live Forum Tasting.

The Whiskies

• Any Bourbon Whiskey
  • American Biker, Baker's, Basil Hayden's, Blanton's, Booker's, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, Elmer T. Lee, Evan Williams, Four Roses, George T. Stagg, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, Old Fitzgerald, Pappy Van Winkle, W.L. Weller, Wild Turkey and Woodford Reserve to mention a few....

Date and Time

• Friday 6th March 7:00pm GMT - Sunday 8th March

Handy Links

Start time - 7:00pm GMT

About...
For those of you who do not know what these are about, they run for generally 12+ hours and we all sit down (at various times) to taste a range of whiskies and share our notes and comments on the forum. Have a look in the Live Tasting forum for past events.

They are a great way to meet people on the forum, chat about your experiences and learn something new about the whiskies you have, and we all end up having a good time.

Please feel free to join in and post any comments or tasting notes you have. Tasting notes can be added using the Tasting Note tab on the postings page. (Note, the Age field on the tasting must be a number such as 7,9,10,18)

We look forward to seeing you on Friday evening...

Click Here

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Re: Bourbon - 6 March 2009 - 7pm GMT

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:42 am

Hey...I think I may join in on this.

Let me see what I'll do first.

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:09 am

Michter's US No. 1

-
Unblended American Whiskey
Sweet Butterscotch and Vanilla
Weak with not much to taste.
Gone in 60 nano-seconds!
Nose if perfect for me, but it's all gone after that.
Dirty Bronze

NAS Years Old
41.7%
Michter's

Unblended Whiskey
USA
-
-
Glencairn
-

Please do not reproduce or copy this tasting note without permission.

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:12 am

Hey...thanks for the welcome Sean and Rich.

My first tasting note here. I love the nose on this Michter's, but absolutely nothing left after first whiff.

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:25 am

Ganga...I wouldn't say it can be termed bad...just very weak after the nose. I really loved the nose, but the flavors are just bland. It doesn't taste bad, just doesn't have much taste. If that makes sense!

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:34 am

Now on to Booker's...tasting notes to follow.

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 am

Booker's

Booker's
Bourbon
Hot on the nose with light vanilla and wood.
Heat...maybe some fruit and a little smoke.
...more vanilla and wood on the finish...long too!
-
Light Red

7 Years Old
62.85%
James B. Beam Distilling Co.

Bourbon
Kentucky
-
-
Glencairn
-

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:16 am

Ouch...I had an unexpected hiccup in the middle of my Booker's sample...ended up going down the wrong pipe!
:shock:

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:47 am

I had to take a break from sampling after that hiccup. 62.85% really burns down the wrong way!

Nice notes from both of you...great start to the bourbon tasting!

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:11 am

I'll be back tomorrow evening to taste a little more. Willie, don't get too crazy with Gordon...save a bit for the bourbon...hehe.

Giovinetti

Postby Giovinetti » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:21 am

Enjoy reading your notes.

I haven't had much in the way of bourbon just the low-price standard fare: Four Roses, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, Elijah Craig 12 + 18. They were all o.k. (except Four Roses which had a really funny taste). I liked the EC 18yo the best but I think it was because it seemed more like scotch whisky to me. Someday I would like to try the George T. Stagg.

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Guys ,
Greetings from Edinburgh !
Great notes so far , will try to post a few next week as i'm otherwise disposed.......
I would join in but there aren't any Society Bourbons at the moment !
Enjoy tonight !
I'll try and restrain Willie tonight....... :lol:

Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Great fun to read your notes.
:thumbsup:

sspolv

Postby sspolv » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Oh dear.
I actually got the date mixed up on this one. I thought it was the 7th at 6pm GMT. I'll have notes up sometime soon, at most by next Sunday. I ended up coming home for spring break so some of my supply is, unfortunately, 5 hours away.

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Will be joining in with this shortly - about to pour a dram of Baker's 7 :D

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:44 pm

Baker's 7yo (53.5%, Batch B-90-001)

Nose: Very soft and sweet, with marzipan and vanilla predominating initially. Also lots of fruit: citrus fruit, hints of red fruit and a slight touch of under-ripe banana. A little bit of mint, woodspice and honey. A very faint smokiness from time to time.

Palate: Incredibly soft, with immediate vanilla and citrus notes. Quite sugary. Suggestion of Kendal Mint Cake. Also a litle honeyed. Does get quite hot if left in the mouth for more than a few seconds.

Finish: Honeyed, with mint and slightly over-ripe orange.

An ultra-soft whiskey with a lovely colour. I like the nose on this the best, but it's one I could happily sip all night. Good stuff!

Thanks to Ras Mazunga for the sample :thumbsup:

LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Great notes guys, looking forward to joining in with you all after my race tomorrow :thumbsup:

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Ganga wrote:Nice notes Tross! Unfortunately for me, not something I've had the opportunity to try. Soon I think.

Thanks! Bourbon's something that I've not really looked into much, but the few I've tried have all been very good.

About to move onto a sample of Buffalo Trace that Ras Mazunga kindly sent me a while back.

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi Ganga. I usually drink bourbon without ice but sometimes when I buy a new bottle I mess about with bourbons, when I wouldn't with single malt. Sometimes with ice, or sometimes I stick it in the freezer and see what occurs. I think it's a good way to explore them, especially if my palate gets bourbon-freeze and just goes "vanilla-oak-spice" and I can't distinguish one from another. A bit of ice can help kick-start my tasting on those days :lol:

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:47 pm

I also find straight bourbons take longer to open up than malts, so mine have been poured a while and are sitting waiting for me :)

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:57 pm

Buffalo Trace >9yo (45%)

Nose: Bitter-sweet; some marzipan and vanilla ice-cream, but also slightly woody and a little vegetal (though the latter disappears pretty quickly). Citrus fruit - bitter orange, lemon and a little lime. Lemon cheesecake springs to mind every now and then! Very slightly smoky and dusty. Hoppy?? Also slightly butyric. Chocolate develops after a while.

Palate: Quite mild and placid in taste, with just a few weak citrussy, honeyed and vanilla notes coming through. Also a little smoky and earthy.

Finish: Some smoke, honey and weak citrus. Leaves quite a dry and earthy/mossy taste behind.

I found this to be quite an earthy bourbon with not that much to say all in all, with only the nose being expressive. Not the best bourbon I've had by some stretch, but the nose is pretty good.

Thanks again to Ras Mazunga for the sample!

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:59 pm

Ganga wrote:Good morning/evening TS. :lol: I'm starting to get used to the flavor now. I'd suggest it is better without the ice. I'm going to retry this one with some water. Good suggestion on just chilling it a little bit.

I've never added ice to bourbon, and the only one I've added water to is GTS. Sensible, considering the one I have is >72% ABV... (can't remember what year that is now)

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Do you mean as well as higher strength the Hazmats have better flavours? I like very woody bourbons best, ones that are all leather and tobacco and big oak. Elijah Craig is my favourite up until today, but maybe I'll find another favourite through this tasting.

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Oh I see, I didn't think the flavours would vary so very much between each year's release, thanks for that Ganga.

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Starting with lighter/sweeter ones, I'll kick off with Wild Turkey.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Wild Turkey
Rare Breed
Caramel, Araldite (that really strong glue where you mix two tubes together), white chocolate. It takes a little while for that glue smell to fade. Eventually, honey and nuts.
Slight chemical bitterness of that Araldite glue. Caramac bars (what are they.. white chocolate and caramel?), maple syrup, then burnt sugar.
Medium. Milk chocolate. Ginger heat prickles then waves of gentle oak mixed with soft vanilla, becoming less sweet until it's just wood and spice.
WT is a funny one for me. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I find it displays overpowering acetone. Today I'm not so big on it but it had a good finish. Perhaps I should have left it a little longer.The WT head distiller drinks this from the freezer. I've tried that before and when very cold this loses some of that spice and astringency, and gets a bit more oaky. Unfortunately it also makes a much shorter finish and the taste is less pungent but loses its bite, so it's worth letting it warm back up a little to get that spice and burnt flavour.
-

0 Years Old
51.4%
-

-
Kentucky
-
-
Glencairn
-

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:30 pm

Nice notes everyone! I will be adding to this either late on this evening, or tomorrow. I have a few nice ones to taste, so it should be interesting. Thanks for the great notes so far!

Cheers! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:39 pm

Next up, Blanton's Gold

Blanton's Gold

Blanton's Gold (Buffalo Trace)
Blanton's Gold
To start, caramels. Then after time, leatherbound old books. A little longer and it smells like when you lift the lid off a box of mixed chocolates. Then the vanilla gets stronger and in comes bread and marmalade.
Caramel and vanilla, and fruity sweetness. Orangey but not powerfully so - like satsumas or mandarins (big ones with seeds in and not a lot of citric oomph)
Gentle spice, a little white pepper, gentle oak eventually. Dries at first, then a burst of sweetness returns.
Very subtle, a gentle bourbon. Thanks to Willie for this.
-

0 Years Old
51.5%
-

-
Kentucky
-
-
Glencairn
-

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Ganga wrote::shock: You guys just make me want to go investigate more and more bourbons. :P Blanton's, looks like another one to go investigate.

Haha, yes these live tastings just make me want to buy more bottles. Other people's notes always sound so enticing :)

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Four Roses Small Batch

Four Roses
Four Roses Small Batch
Nail varnish remover and quite floral. Vanilla, soft caramel, then marshmallows. In time it becomes buttery.
Very sweet velvety notes like syrup sponge. Mixed sweets - a little like jellybeans. Then bread and butter followed by cinnamon. Throughout all this there's a lovely layer of wood, which starts as barely-there sawdust and builds up to a charred barrel.
It's an interesting finish - it becomes much woodier, and the mild gingery heat kicks in near the end, then it sweetens up again.
Smoother than the WT Rare Breed. More bite (and so better, I think) than Four Roses Single Barrel. Great finish, just as I thought it had gone there was another surge of sweetness bursting through that dry oak.
-

0 Years Old
45%
-

-
Kentucky
-
-
Glencairn
-

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Ganga wrote:I'm hoping my Glenfarclas gets here from TWE in time for the Glenfarclas tasting. It will either be outstanding or way too woody as its 43.

I've got the 42yo Glenfarclas that was released a few months prior to the one you have. It isn't really woody at all but is very heavy on the sherry. Not sure how the 43 will compare, but if it's anything like the 42 then you're in for a treat - as long as you like 'em sherried :D

Currently on Elijah Craig 18. Notes to follow shortly.

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Buffalo Trace next, thanks for this, Ras.

Buffalo Trace

Buffalo Trace
-
Very definite toffee. Might be the most toffee-ish nose I've got from a whiskey. Eventually after all that toffee a musty smell. Then pecan pie and custard, which is a bad dessert combination but smells really great here. In time menthol creeps in. The mildew fades the longer it stands but there's still something a bit earthy.
Brown sugar, woodsmoke, then it gets quite floral with sweet blossom and fresh mint, heading towards aniseed (almost but not quite).
Dusty brie cheese rind. What? That's really strong at first then it's much less prominent when it's been standing in the glass a while.
What's going on with the mildew? It's not noticeable in the taste until the finish but surely that isn't supposed to be there. Wonder if it's the bottle or glass. I've tried it twice but maybe I should give it another try another day.
-

>9yo Years Old
45%
-

-
Kentucky
-
-
Glencairn
-

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi C57 and TheTross

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 pm

Just read your notes too :lol: You found that mouldy mildew thing going on in the Buffalo Trace too then. Isn't that strange? Just seems out of place, doesn't it?:

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi TS!

Perhaps by 'earthy/mossy' I also detected the mould/mildew you found? Have none of the Buffalo Trace left now though so I can't give it another go unfortunately.

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Elijah Craig 18yo (45%, cask #2284, distilled 24/10/1089)

Nose: Very sweet! Lots of marzipan and sugar, with a lovely earthy edge. Slightly bitter orange and a little desiccated coconut. Dust, wood smoke and wood spice. Becomes nutty over time, which joins the marzipan notes well to form Christmas cake aromas. Vanilla ice-cream with chocolate sauce drizzled over it.

Palate: Very subtle in comparison to the nose and quite watery. Raisins? Slightly oaky, with weak citrus fruit (mainly lemon) and vanilla. Quite hot!

Finish: Short but sweet, with vanilla and hints of lemon sorbet. A lightly earthy and oaky bitterness rounds things off.

I must say that the palate is hugely disappointing in comparison to what the nose promised. A nice, albeit short finish. I think I prefer the 12yo offering from Elijah Craig, it seems to have more going on.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”