Supermarket Islays

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which supermarket Islay would you recommend?

No votes
Marks & Spencer
No votes
Total votes: 6

Grass Snake

Supermarket Islays

Postby Grass Snake » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:17 am

Which of the following supermarket own brand ISlay whiskies would you recommend for someoen who like their whisky very peaty?

I don';t have access to any of the other supermarkets

Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:47 am

Can't personally recommend any as i haven't tried any, but i read on this forum somewhwere that Tesco's are surrently doing the Ardbeg 10-an established and much loved peat monster - for around £21.Last week I also got another Peat monster, the Laphroaig "Quarter Cask" from oddbins - if you have one in burnley - for just over £20...

good luck!

Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:52 am

Yes, On Oct 22 there was a post on "Supermarket deals..." claiming Tesco's prices - £21.47 for Ardbeg, and £19 and some pence for the standard Laphroaig.

Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:53 am

The Sainsbury's one is properly peaty. The Tesco one is 'Laddie isn't it ? So essentially unpeated.

Gold Member

Postby Leither » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:01 pm

Check out other thread under 'Cheaper Islay Malts' - I have tried most of the supermarket offerings. They offer tremendous value and I use them as my hip-flask malt.

The best is Sainsbury's as agreed by both Jim Murray's Whisky Bible (90 points) and it won a gold award in the latest International Wines & Spirits Challenge (see link for panel tasting notes): ... ductID=850

M&S bottle says its from Burns Stewart suggesting Bunny, but tasting note on bottle suggests much more peaty so I suspect Laphroaig - M&S price currently £4 off.

As I say they are all exceptionally good value for money - only drawback is that that they are all 40% ABV, coloured and mostly vatted so change frequently. My guess is that the Sainsbury's uses less colouring than the others and hence more natural flavour - it certainly is lighter in colour in the glass. I suspect there is some Ardbeg and/or Caol Ila in this one.

Let us know which one you buy and what you think.

Silver Member

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:22 pm

I personally wouldnt buy any supermarket branded whisky. I doent like supermarkets and I dont like the way they treat their suppliers.

Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:50 pm

I had the Tesco's 'Ardnave' a few years ago and it was very good. It bottled at 41.2% and was unchillfiltered. Don't know if it is still that way.

The Sainsbury's vatted Islay is probably the best for peaty whisky lovers.

Silver Member

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:04 pm

Tesco is evil.

Postby Samwise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:42 pm

I've only tried the Sainsbury's one myself and can certainly vouch that its pretty good stuff, especially for the money. I came to the conclusion that it was a mix of Ardbeg and Caol Ila, probably more of the latter. I personally prefer the individual malts any day, but its certainly worth a try and really quite interesting to try and pick out the smells and tastes that have been combined.

don't get tesco's

Postby jamiepotter » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm

OMG, that was a very poor decision indeed. It had an horrific sulphur odour. The only way it was drinkable was to actually hold your nose!!! That's not a good thing for a whisky.

Sainsbury's is OK, but it's hardly worth it. You might as well spend £20 on a bottle of Laphroaig. Tesco's are doing Laphroaig CS for £25, which works out cheaper by volume. If you're going to drink cheap stuff, get a half decent blend.

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:43 pm

My vote is for morrison supermarkets Islay malt lovely. it says it has chocolate orange and floral notes.

Return to “Whisky Poll”