Scotch vs. Bourbon

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.
scotchirish

Scotch vs. Bourbon

Postby scotchirish » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Scotch vs Bourbon. Has this been posted before?
Being from Kentucky originally and a bourbon drinker, but now starting to really appreciate scotch; I'm wondering what others think.
I've tried a number of bourbons, but to me Scotch is far more interesting and complex. Not sure I can appreciate bourbon anymore (unless its a free glass of Blanton's, Woodford Reserve or Elijah Craig).
Anyone out there who has switched form one to the other and why?

scotchirish

Re: Scotch vs. Bourbon

Postby scotchirish » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Ganga wrote:I won't say switch rather expanded. I started with Scotch whisky moved to bourbon and then included Japanese and rye whiskies. They each provide something a little bit different from the other. I believe you will find that conditions that you find yourself in will also change your desire for a particular beverage.

Good answer. I have been a wine drinker and maker for years. (I make a dry red from a generally unknown French wine grape 'Baco Noir'). Sometimes I like red, sometimes I like white. With different foods, different climates, different venues, my preference changes. But my overall preference, if given a choice at any given time . .. would be red . . . because of the many different flavour profiles as opposed to white. That is what I seem to be finding in Scotch over Bourbon . Scotch just seems to have so many more variables than bourbon (IMHO). . . and beguiling ones at that. I never had that with bourbon, though I have tried some top shelf.

Guess I should have stated my question this way. . . who generally prefers one over the other and why?

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:21 pm

scotchirish wrote:Guess I should have stated my question this way... who generally prefers one over the other and why?

I wouldn't want to be without either, though malt whisky (Scotch in particular) has admittedly represented a larger portion of my bottle-count down through the years.

Who said, "Variety is the spice of life?" I agree! :thumbsup:
Last edited by The Third Dram on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:22 pm

And then there are all of those other whiskies from around the globe. :wink:

O'DubhGhaill

Postby O'DubhGhaill » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:12 pm

I enjoy Scots whisky and big bourbons in the Fall and Winter. Everyday bourbons and ryes mostly in Spring and Summer when I don't feel guilty at about the use of some ice.

Return to “Whisky Poll”