Most overrated malt?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.
DavidUK

Re: Most overrated malt?

Postby DavidUK » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Having recently tasted them, I'd add Uigedial and Corryvrecken to the list. Whilst not bad by any means, in my opinion the similarly priced Laphroaig 18 yo and Lagavullin 16yo blows them both away

talisker10
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 am

Macallan at any price, age, cask type...

Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:32 am

Seriously it has to be Ardbeg - its a lesson on how to put you off a decent whisky with way over hyped marketing.

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:33 am

Collector57 wrote:Any Macallan I've tried
Most Glenmorangie I've tried

Snap!

Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:54 am

MacDeffe wrote:I have to correct myself about the Clynelish OB, had a dram of the current 14yo tonight and it was a very fine dram! 46% does matter (more than age)

macdeffe

I don't get this 46% business at all? Its seems an arbitrary number to me? What about 45% or 47% and what about cask strength? Surely the best strength depends on the whisky and the drinker? Or is 46% simply the new "magic number" that 40% was many years ago? And if 42 was the answer to the universe, then maybe 42% the answer to whisky strength as well?

Where does all this stuff come from? Its all just too wierd!!

Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Diageo have bottled my Talisker at 45.8%. Looks like they've made a howler there!

FirewallXL5

Postby FirewallXL5 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 pm

This is a nod in the direction of whisky heritage and the old degrees proof scale of measuring alcohol content.

In the really old days the standard bottling strength of whisky was 20 under proof (20 u.p.) so with proof = 100, 20 under proof = 80 degrees proof which translates in modern times into 46% alcohol which is where this strength originates.

However this involves a slight rounding up, the exact measurement is 45.7 or 45.8 so what you have here is the traditional Talisker bottliing strength.

Strength has been progressively reduced over the years to 75 proof (43%) then 70 proof (40%) but the historic strengths do live on reflected in the most common %age alcohol levels used.

FirewallXL5

Postby FirewallXL5 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:14 pm

so it's neither arbitrary or a howler but I fear I may be giving my age away! bring back degrees proof!!!!

Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:12 pm

FirewallXL5 wrote:This is a nod in the direction of whisky heritage and the old degrees proof scale of measuring alcohol content.

In the really old days the standard bottling strength of whisky was 20 under proof (20 u.p.) so with proof = 100, 20 under proof = 80 degrees proof which translates in modern times into 46% alcohol which is where this strength originates.

However this involves a slight rounding up, the exact measurement is 45.7 or 45.8 so what you have here is the traditional Talisker bottliing strength.

Strength has been progressively reduced over the years to 75 proof (43%) then 70 proof (40%) but the historic strengths do live on reflected in the most common %age alcohol levels used.

That was educational, thanks Firewall. So its a nod to a period in time in whisky heritage, but I can't see how that makes it the best strength for a whisky which seemed to be impllied by a previous poster?

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:
MacDeffe wrote:I have to correct myself about the Clynelish OB, had a dram of the current 14yo tonight and it was a very fine dram! 46% does matter (more than age)

macdeffe

And if 42 was the answer to the universe, then maybe 42% the answer to whisky strength as well?

Where does all this stuff come from? Its all just too wierd!!

I have a couple of Japanese whiskys bottled 42%, definately not the answer to whisky strength though perfecty OK :)

FirewallXL5

Postby FirewallXL5 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:07 pm

For a flavoursome single malt 'best' is 80 proof & non chill filtered - the way Springbank has always been.
Look at the LFW website new releases & spot an unmistakable trend, new releases from Bunnahabhainn, Glencadam, both 46%, both non chill filtered, and now see even Ledaig and Tobermory (with their new 10 yr old presentations) going the same way & apparently winning Mr Joynson's approval...
80 proof IS the new standard for SMS. Slainge!

MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:17 pm

To my understanding 46% is the lowest ABV where a whisky won't go cloudy

So if a bottling is under 46% (43 or 40) it us usually chillfiltered. I am only aware of one bottling that is 40% and unchillfiltered and I was told it was/is cloudy. It was Bladnoch who did that for some reason

So the reason 46% whisky is better is due to 2 reasons

1. Not chillfiltered

2. Les waterdilution

/MAcdeffe

Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Ardbeg 10 - in Sweden it's over 25% more than other Islay enrty-level bottlings. The fact I really didn't like it doesn't make things better, at it's price I much rather have a Springbank 10. I can't believe the hype of Ardbeg.

I see the HP18 mentioned as overpriced/overrated, here I think it's great value for money (and yummy). It's even 40SEK cheaper than the Glenlivet 18, and a good 300SEK cheaper than the Springbank 15 and Yamazaki 18. The only other whisky in that price range that can match, or beat, it is Laga 16.

37degrees

Postby 37degrees » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Certainly Aberlour Abunah, though it's not bad. Evan Willians Single Barrel 2000. Irish whisky (have you seen the prices going berserk, they must be overrated).

Single Malts in general :wink:
Or the other way: blended is underrated.

Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Collector57 wrote:I just bought a few of these at a Tesco special offer of £30 per bottle - certainly not overrated at that price!

You're braking my heart Nick, they're £52 over here. Still a bargain compared to the Longrow C.V. which is £62. :twisted:

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:51 am

Swedish Chef wrote:
Collector57 wrote:I just bought a few of these at a Tesco special offer of £30 per bottle - certainly not overrated at that price!

Still a bargain compared to the Longrow C.V. which is £62. :twisted:

Notice it didn't stop you buying another bottle SC. :)

Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:27 pm

That bottle was from Germany where it's ~£31. :D

ashleypenney

Postby ashleypenney » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:29 pm

I have noticed a lot here say Ardbeg i have to disagree, any ardbeg expressions i have tried i ave loved even the blasda

What is it about Ardbeg that people say its overated.

Ash

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:24 am

Sorry but I slightly disagree with Ganga in this case at least from my point view. As I mentioned earlier, I have bought a lot of whiskys from recommendations on this site. I had never even heard of JM before I bought a bottle of Ardbeg 10, it rated highly amongst a lot of the members on the forum so I purchased it. I never got into it at all and I haven't had an Ardbeg yet that I've enjoyed. Same with HP 12, raved about by many of the punters here(and many other places) so I bought a bottle, has to be one of the dullest whiskys I've tried. Even bought another bottle to see if my point of view had changed, this proved to be even more boring than the first, didn't even seem to possess any smoke.

By and large though, most of the whiskys I've seen recommended here I have enjoyed. :thumbsup:

MARS

Postby MARS » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:12 am

About ardbeg ten, I must said that I don't like it a lot (85/86pts for me. 2008 version)as most of the ardbeg I have tasted. Since last weekend :
I have tried a 10 years old bottled in +-1975 who's well worth 93/94pts(at least)and 2 IB bottling of ardbeg distilled in the sixties absolutely fabulous.

The ardbeg ten was the whisky whos make me start to like whisky. These days, I don't like a lot peated whisky(brora exepted)and prefer sherried version.

I think macallan is highly overrated. Only (very)old version and the 10 years CS are good whisky (i find).

lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 pm

[quote="MacDeffe"]What's the definition of an overrated malt anyway ?

Ardbeg, then Ardbeg, then i think probably another ardbeg and maybe Laph 10 but i may take a rain check on that one as i believe i almost enjoyed it the last time i had one?
I cannot believe it with some of these replies :shock: When i posted on here a couple of years ageo about Ardbeg being overrated i was almost banished for saying it. Thank god not everyone believes all the hype out there. HOORAY :D

Lucas

Postby Lucas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Lots of Ardbeg and HP throughout the thread, I'm well surprised :shock:

For me, any Fine Oak Macallan. Bruichladdich's portfolio is not overrated, it's pure scam :P

Theus

Postby Theus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:04 am

Ardbeg Uigeadail...

mitridate

Postby mitridate » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:To balance the views..... :P
ANY Springbank
Any Arran
Any Highland Park

And i agree with C_I's Port Ellen comment

Obviously you forgot to include ANY Glenmorangie 8)

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 am

I have to concur with Lucas' comments about Macallan Fine Oak series. A dreadful misuse of hype and a waste of decent whisky. They should double cask finish it by returning the remainder to age a bit longer in a sherry cask or pipe, thereby trying to rescue something of an indifferent series of whiskies. (Indifferent is my most damning condemnation of a whisky)
Glenmo re-naming their whiskies and jacking up the price was my second choice for overrated whisky. Frankly, IMHO, the older offerings were far superior to the new batch of Nectar D'or et al.
Musky

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Glenmo gets my nod here. The prices for the quality are just silly. I hate the "quality" of the sherry in the whatever it is called new botteling (Don't want to waste the effort to google it).

1Malt

Postby 1Malt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Lagavulin 16 and Distillers Edition. Way overpriced.

pipclurow

Postby pipclurow » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm drinking some batch 37 now & I think it's excellent :D

jacko

Postby jacko » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:45 pm

I think it's it would have to be hp12 many pubs near me are pushing it as malt of the month etc. After trying it I don't think it warrants therefore overrated

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:39 am

I'm a big fan of Ardbeg, and though I can understand why people may think they're overhyped and overrated, I've got to draw the line when they say that about Uigeadail. It's hands-down my favorite whisky. Very bold, very complex, well-balanced. Overpriced? The price seems highly variable from year to year, so I can see why many would find it overpriced sometimes.

I don't think it's overrated, so much as some people just don't like it that much.

Lagavulin? Very similar in those respects, though $80 is my limit for that one. And its quality has taken a hit in the last couple of years. And if overrated equals overhyped, well, this one gets no hype.

My vote for overrated whisky goes to Glemorangie. It simply has very little complexity.

mark_jacobs

Postby mark_jacobs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:57 am

I'd have to say every Dalmore I've ever tried

AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:31 pm

mark_jacobs wrote:I'd have to say every Dalmore I've ever tried

Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean its over hyped by advertising then I agree. But in order for Dalmore to be overrated I figure people would have to actually consider it good. Not sure I have found anyone that finds any Dalmore more than just okay, and often their opinions are far worse than that.

AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:22 am

mikeymad wrote:Nope - had Many VERY good Dalmore's - some are in the greatest beverages I have ever had

Mikey, just curious were these Dalmores, IB's or OB's? If they were OB's were they some of the bottles that are lets just say on the rather pricey side of things? I based my comment mostly on the fact that I have heard to stay away from Dalmore in general. Though the only bottle I have had is their 12 year old, which I found downright aweful.

Although I could believe Dalmore is so focused on their premium offerings, that their more affordable offerings could be some of the worst stuff they have. Either way, the 12 I had may have also been a tainted bottle, because it was nearly undrinkable, so much moldy ranicd orange it was incredible to believe that they could bottle it. While others do not find it great, still thought it was better than how I described it.

Return to “Whisky Poll”