U.S. members..Is SMS pricing itself out of your life?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

U.S. members--is SMS becoming way overpriced to you compared to high quaility American whiskey?

Yes, and I am buying more American whiskey
34%
No, the pricing isn;t out of balance
9%
Yes it is but I will pay the price anyway
56%

Total votes: 32

clicker7
Silver Member

Re: U.S. members..Is SMS pricing itself out of your life?

Postby clicker7 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 am

Yes, some prices have been getting ridiculous like, Macallan 18 ($154), and Balvenie Portwood 21 ( $212), seems like it doubled the last few years).

Still some distillers or expressions have seemed to hold their prices better Highland Park, Talisker, Springbank, Alberlour (A'bunadh), and others.

This is a luxury I enjoy, that gives me a lot of pleasure, so I will pay the price; I do tend choose/buy more selectively the malts I really like-- and do a bit less experimenting.

Joseph

Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:29 am

I'm not a US member, but I can assure you that in Canda some of us are buying quality US whisky (ie. Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, etc.) instead of single malts. I used to buy a lot of Oban, but the price has gone through the roof in the last couple of years. Its now $98! As great as it is, its not worth that price. for the same amount I can get a premium bourbon (Knob Creek) and a decent single malt (Cragganmore).

ClarenceCarter

Postby ClarenceCarter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
ClarenceCarter wrote: ...I even caught my wife mixing Mac 10 FO with juice. ...
:shock:
And, you are still married?

She's a keeper. She even cooks daily and like to do so. I just roll with the punches from time to time.

I guess I should really consider it lucky that Mrs Musky has no interest in tasting my collection with or without mix.

Musky

That is lucky.

1Malt

Postby 1Malt » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:21 pm

I'll be paying the higher prices.... just buying much less frequently, and trying to be picky about what I buy.

This is an expensive hobby, and I only just got into it this year as prices skyrocketed. But then, my other hobby is owning and flying a small antique Piper airplane :shock: so my wallet is staying rather empty these days.

I recently paid US$62 for Aberlour 16, $69 for A'bunadh and $65 for Talisker 10 here in north central Texas.

Laphroig 10 is $49, Lagavulin 16 is $93 and they have one bottle of Lagavulin DE 1991 sitting on the shelf for $100 here.

All those prices are before adding on the state sales tax of 8.25%

Return to “Whisky Poll”