Black Label or Black Bottle?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Black Label
50%
Black Bottle
36%
Neither
14%

Total votes: 14

Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby Minnesota Malt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:59 pm

Tried both of these two last night, and after a dram of each, I have a small preference to black label. I was a little surprised since I'm a big Islay fan, maybe this will change after I have more drams of each, but I just wanted to get an idea of which one you guys prefer and why?

tuddy24

Re: Black Label or Black Bottle?

Postby tuddy24 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi Minnesota,

I've had both of these whiskies many times and find that JWB is more "serious" than the basic BB blend. JWB has a lot of things going for it on the palate as does BB but JWB has this caramel/smoke kick to it that I find quite addictive. The BB is a damn good value though at $18 at Binny's. I wait for JWB when it's on sale for $24 and buy it only at that price. Who says you have to spend $40 for a single Mat when you can get these great blends for around $20? Cheers!

-Pete

Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby Minnesota Malt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:50 am

I don't think I have ever seen the 10 yo black bottle in my area. Is it really hard to find?

anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby anationonfire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:53 am

I can't get BB here but its pretty decent (for the 2 drams I had) I think JWB has a little more depth in its contrast, but try and keep me away from any thing peaty.

Not much help I know :D

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:49 pm

mikeymad wrote:
Minnesota Malt wrote:but I just wanted to get an idea of which one you guys prefer and why?

back on topic - I liked the black bottle more than the JWB. Not just for the price but for the profile. JWB is a well made whisky, but leans a little bit to the astringent side for me. Now I would much prefer the 10yo Black bottle, but that is a different topic.

In talking with SOI the other day he mentioned that the Black Bottle does contain non-Islay whisky, where the 10yo is an Islay whisky blend. So the 10yo maybe more to your tastes.

cheers,

I never knew that! "Carefully crafted with a heart of Islay malts..." it says here. So how big a heart does it have? 1%?? 20%?!?

That's a bit naughty...I always assumed BB was all-Islay. Well, their wording protects them from the "consumer protection" act. Damn! A bit like the word "Porbably" that is used to similar effect in advertising, i.e. "PROBABLY the best whisky in the world..."

Where BB scores for me is as a cheap base for less cheap smoking Islay malts...a few drops of Ardbeg transforms a glass of BB!! works a treat...

But H@H with JWB? Different animals. Different moods IMO.

irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Black Label by a mile for me... much more flavour profile for a regular blend than the grain dominated Black Bottle for me anyway.

I had a BB for over 6 months and once past half way found I could go no further and never finished it.

Just goes to show how we all perceive things differently.

talisker10
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:04 am

I had a sample of Black Bottle 10 at Whiskygalore in Christchurch, NZ (great place, BTW!). It wasn't bad at all, but overall I like JWB much better.

Return to “Whisky Poll”