NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby I_SPEY » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:56 pm

And a warm(actually it's cold now) welcome from The Netherlands, Roger Liechtenstein. Enjoy your stay here. :)

Rene

Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Rob B » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:01 am

Well,

I thought there would be no harm in saying a belated hello even though I joined in January.

My home is in County Down and I enjoy fantastic views of the Mournes. This is both a blessing and a bane in that we get both the view and the weather. My interests include reading, golf and my beloved Hi-fi.

I am a very recent convert to malt whisky but I quicky discovered a taste for Talisker and Laphroaig. In the last two years I have been slowly broadening my horizons and have added a few malts from the Highlands and the Islands to my stack of empties.

So its good to be here, and a hearty "slàinte" to all.

Kind regards

Rob

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Welcome to the Forums Rob B! Nice to have another member from Ireland around the Forums.

Keep in mind we are hosting a Live Irish Whisky Tastings here on the Forums (in the Live Tastings section) on November 15th, if you'd like to join in.

Cheers! :D :D

I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:27 pm

A thus belated welcome to Rob B. It's nice to read your posts, Rob, so please go on :thumbsup:

Rene

Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Rob B » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I would have liked to join in on the tasting on the 15th but I am already committed to a social event with SWMBO. I do intend however to join in on other tastings as and when I am able to help expand my currently very limited appreciation of malts. I figure that there is only one way be become more educated, and that is to get involved.

Kind regards

Rob

lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Woodhill this thread is an excellent idea. :thumbsup:
A warm welcome to all new forum members :)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:24 am

Hi Rob and welcome from me too.

sspolv

Postby sspolv » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:41 am

Hey folks,
The name's Scott and I am quite new to the whisky world. I've been enjoying the occasional glass of scotch/bourbon with my father over the past few years and have decided to take the leap (now that I'm finally turning 21) into the wonderful world of whisky. The solidifying event was none other than a stroke of blind luck last summer. While taking a much needed trip throughout Britain, Ireland, and Scotland, I was able to attend a Cadenhead's Whisky Tasting in Edinburgh (this one, to be exact: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8836). It was a night I definitely won't forget.

Thanks for (hopefully) having me,
Scott

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm

Welcome to the Forums Scott! Enjoy your whisky adventure! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JTW

Postby JTW » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Hello all, I'm Ian and new around here (except for occasional lurking around the site looking at tasting notes and tracking down supermarket bargains!)
Though it was about time I joined. I've been drinking whisky on and off for over 30 years, so no spring chicken though I am by no means a connoisseur. Used to drink mainly speyside malts if I was drinking whisky.
Recently drinking more whisky (oh dear!) and my taste has moved more towards Islay malts especially Ardbeg. Although some of the supermarket own label bottlings seem very good, enjoying Tesco's at the moment (any ideas on what it is btw?)

Ian

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Welcome to the Forums Ian!! You like Ardbeg, well, you'll fit right in around here!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and reading your notes. Enjoy!!

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:
Ryguy wrote:Welcome to the Forums Ian!! You like Ardbeg, well, you'll fit right in around here!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and reading your notes. Enjoy!!

I don't like ardbeg :o

I'm sorry LSD. I didn't mean to imply that everyone liked Ardbeg. 8)

xcaper

Postby xcaper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:19 am

Hello all,

This is my first post so I guess this is the best place to put it.

I've been lurking around here for some time now and have been meaning to sign up but just haven't gotten around to it...until now.

I was born and raised in Cape Breton (am I aloud to say Breton here :wink: ?) and now live in Ontario.

I've only been drinking (tasting) whisky for about 2 years now, excluding Canadian Club and Ginger ale, so I'm still very much a rookie. I've gone through a number of bottles over those 2 years and so far have shown a preference towards Islay whiskies with the odd Talisker or Highland Park thrown in for good measure. Not sure what it is...if it's the peat, smoke or pungency of some of these whiskies that I like but there does seem to be a pattern here.

Well it's been fun so far and I hope that joining this site will only add to the enjoyment of my whisky experience.

Brad (xcaper)

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Welcome to the Forums Brad! Enjoy your adventure down the road of whisky, and all of the wonderful things it has to offer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kwellada

Postby kwellada » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Hey all, just found this forum and figured it'd be fun to sign up. I'm an American living in BC, the capital of overtaxed scotch! I'm in the process of waiting for all my legal status to be finalized with Canada, so really, all I have to do is drink a couple drams in the evening...although the budget is tight these days.

My favorite whiskies include Ardbeg 10 Year Old, BenRiach's Curiostas, most anything made by Balvenie...but I'm definitely not limited to these. My favorite bourbon is George T. Stagg.

My favorite scotch highlight was getting a chance to visit the Bladnoch distillery last year. Beautiful little place with a great staff and two very cute kittens to keep the bad mice away.

Anyhow, looking foward to reading and chatting about the world of whisky.

I'll be touring the states soon. I do roadcrew once in awhile for a Vancouver band whose members all love whisky, so we spend most nights after the show sitting around in a hotel room with our little whisky glasses trying new purchases. Some bands have groupies, but we have tasting notes. Anyhow, I'll be looking foward to picking up some good stuff along the way at nice cheap US prices.

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Welcome to the Forums kwellada! Looking foward to hearing about your travels, and your 'Whisky' tour around the US!!! Enjoy the Forums! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kwellada

Postby kwellada » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome to the forums, Kwellada. :D

If you ever make it down to LA, let me know. I'm certain we can drum up something new and interesting for the band.

The band is playing in Los Angeles on Dec. 5th. Any great liquor stores to seek out? I think the club is in Hollywood on Sunset.

morlic

Postby morlic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:42 am

Hi everyone. My name is Marko, I'm 32, and I joined the forums about a week ago and have posted twice already and will do so again soon. I am a native New Yorker and about a month ago quit my job and drove across the USA with my wife in order to relocate to sunny San Diego, California. (My wife's family is out here.) I made sure to drive through Kentucky and make some time to go on the Buffalo Trace Distillery tour. posting.php?mode=smilies&f=12#

I have been drinking whiskey for about 8 years or so, but only here-and-there. A free Johnnie Walker Black tasting in NYC about 8 years ago turned me on to whiskey and helped me understand the various smells and tastes, but I am fairly new to drinking Scotch and Bourbon on a regular basis. In the past year or so I have caught the "bug" to try more whiskey, collect it and understand it better. (I have been drinking Blanton's, Dewar's Special Reserve 12, Four Roses Small Batch and Pappy Van Winkle 15 this past year, with a little JW Blue and Glen Livet 21 thrown in as a treat to myself now and then.)

A friend of mine got me into bourbon this past year and I quickly purchased about 15 bottles of various whiskies (Pappy Van Winkle 15, Stagg (2007), Blanton's, Four Roses Small Batch, Baker's, JW Blue, JW Swing, to name a few), but have had JW Black and a Glen Livet Archive 21 my wife bought me as a Christmas gift. So, I have had quite a few whiskies for a newbie, but I want to understand the varieties of whiskies better and learn to better define the flavors and tastes. Single Malts is my newest foray, as it always seemed to be the most inaccessible for me to understand. Also, I do enjoy a good cognac and I enjoy the Kelt VSOP and Courvoisier XO.

I know that was a lot of information, but that is just a reflection of how excited I am to be here amongst all of you knowledgable folks. I look forward to "chatting" with you all, maybe one day in person. Cheers!

Best regards,
Marko
Username: morlic

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:46 pm

Welcome to the Forums Marko! I look forward to your posts, and hearing your thoughts on various bourbons and other whiskies as well. I've been enjoying single malts for quite some time now, but bourbon is a new thing for me. Enjoy your time around the Forums, it really can be a fun place! :D :D

I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:32 pm

A warm welcome to this forum, Marko. Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

riggy

Postby riggy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi guys i'm peter from falkirk.Have always enjoyed a dram but without
having gone into any depth. Followed the usual mainstream macallan,highland park etc ( all fine drams ). But have found lately a move towards more expansive tastes,especially towards islay malts.
Have just returned from a week in islay with a new reinforced love of the whiskies and of the people of the island. Having stayed in Port Charlotte i have a particular interest in bruichladdich.Well i'm no longer silent !
Returned with six bottles, two were port ellen 8th edition any comments

The Bone Ranger

Postby The Bone Ranger » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Howdy one and all, my first post here....

I'm a freelance musician by trade, who lives near a great pub that serves great alcohol, run by a knowledegable publican who stocks an everchanging, eclectic range of whiskys. He offers a three whisky 'taster' which I decided to try one night, he talked me and some mates through what he had picked out for us, and I was hooked.

I started out gentle by buying a bottle of Glenmorangie 10yo that caught my attention that first night, and have since bought a Macallan Fifties and a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, both of which I tried at the afore-mentioned pub before purchasing. I'm particularly taken by the Macallan and Laphroaig, for very different reasons. I'm also on the lookout for a Bowmore 17 next...

I'm very much into fine alcohol of all types, including beers and reds, so whisky is very much the final frontier for me, and much like the reds, I'm discovering vastly different personalities in each glass.

Andrew

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Welcome to the Forums riggy and The Bone Ranger (Andrew)! Enjoy your whisky adventures! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Bone Ranger

Postby The Bone Ranger » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:17 am

Ganga wrote:Don't wait too long as the Bowmore 17 is being replaced with the Bowmore 18. Really are too different animals.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll let Santa know...

Andrew

robenim

Postby robenim » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:54 am

I've been quite a while around here, although never introducing myself. I'm Robbert from the Netherlands. I'm only 29 years old and work in a psych. clinic.
My favourite whiskies are Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Bowmore.
Although I live in the Netherlands I'm a huge Liverpool fan and visit the city a couple of times a year.

PhilipM

Postby PhilipM » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:54 am

Hi,

I would just like to introduce myself, name is Phil, I live in Cape Town RSA and work in one of the largest whisky bars in the southern hemisphere, the uisge beatha bug bit me about 4 years ago and has definitely made a whisky addict out of me.

Really enjoy trying new drams ever so often, have tried about 300 different ones so far, from macallan elegancia to a rare malt rosebank 25, but my favorite remains St Magdelene Rare Malts 19yr old, what a pleasure.

We have 375 different whiskies and our collection is ever increasing, have some serious stuff on our shelves.

I will definitely make use of the knowledge on tap in the forums, as there are quite a few mysterious bottlings in our collection.

Cheers

Phil - from a sunny Cape Town

:thumbsup:

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Phil and welcome. Lucky you, being so well-suited to your work :) Your mysterious bottles sound intriguing 8)

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Welcome to the Forums Phil! I look forward to reading your posts and hearing more about your collection. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:48 am

lincoln imp wrote:Woodhill this thread is an excellent idea. :thumbsup:
A warm welcome to all new forum members :)

As a (shy) noob myself, I agree wholeheartedly! 8)

osiris

Postby osiris » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:58 am

Well here we go: I'm really, really new into whiskey. A friend of mine is a really Whiskey enthusiast. He introduced me to a small whiskeycafe in Amsterdam and told me some things about Whiskey. I was quite interested to the material.

I had my first dram of The Famous Grouse last week. It took two sips to get used to the taste of whiskey and then I really liked it. One day later I tried Glenhood.

The past few days I read articles on Wikipedia about the production process and how things work in the world whiskey. Quite interesting...hope to learn some more over here... :wink:

osiris

Postby osiris » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks Jean, and with this forum as my GPS I will certainly come somewhere :P

osiris

Postby osiris » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks Ganga for you welcome message. Do you mean these threads: viewforum.php?f=9

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:03 pm

Welcome to the Forums osiris! Enjoy your whisky adventure, and I look forward to seeing you around the Live Tastings hopefully. The area of the Forum that Ganga spoke of can be found here Live Tastings

LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:26 pm

Welcome to the Forums osiris! I hope you enjoy your stay in the forums.

osiris

Postby osiris » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Ryguy wrote:Welcome to the Forums osiris! Enjoy your whisky adventure, and I look forward to seeing you around the Live Tastings hopefully. The area of the Forum that Ganga spoke of can be found here Live Tastings

Thanks for you welcome! So I can see a live tasting as a whisky event where people meet and taste?

Return to “Whisky Chat”